• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody already got a copy of 2017 Overstreet?

55 posts in this topic

I've been buying Overstreet every year since 1984 when I started collecting. I think it's fun reading the articles, market reports, and seeing prices. Whether or not they are accurate is irrelevant as there are numerous sources for prices on the internet. It gives a foundation as to what a comic could be worth and is a perfect starting point for many low to mid-grade comics. Slabbed books higher than 9.0 are pretty much in a league of their own, especially vintage, so no matter what OS puts the price at, it will probably never be accurate. The market is just too volatile on many books. I'm glad it's out and will try and get my copy this weekend. 

2 hours ago, HouseofComics.Com said:

The market reports, once they opened it up to a ton of new advisors, got much better too. Sulipa's is shorter this year.

You mean that we won't have to trudge through his usual 20+ almost endless pages of percentages to guide for virtually every single title ever published.  :whee:

Why, is it down to only $15+ pages in this year's edition of the guide?  :p

Edited by lou_fine

On ‎19‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 3:00 PM, zhamlau said:

Books like Overstreet I think provide that level of insight and completeness of info that you just don't really get in the online experience. Yeah if you look long enough all the facts are web accessible sure, but going online for data tends to lead you to just find that ONE factoid you want and blocks out the rest. Having all the knowledge there for you to wander across or providing that additional layer of tangent info you pick up researching "Fact A", it leads to greater understanding (in my eyes anyway) of the subject you're studying.

That's a perfect encapsulation of the type of resource I'm trying to build for OA, with my Original Art Aficionado column!

Apologies for the threadkrap, back to Overstreet talk :blush:

10 hours ago, namisgr said:

Cool Steranko Batman rendition on the cover.  :headbang:

I was imagining what the late '60s Batman runs would have been like if Steranko had been over at DC...

19 hours ago, namisgr said:

Not quite sure what aspect Steranko was striving for in that cover? Seemed like rejected Wondercon promo art from 10 years ago.

Linda Carter #1 (1961) had a huge jump due to Netflix(?) hype from nm $135 to $1,200 in one (1) year. Al Hartley :angel: is the next Neal Adams. Hot !

18 hours ago, aardvark88 said:
On 7/21/2017 at 8:08 PM, namisgr said:

Not quite sure what aspect Steranko was striving for in that cover? Seemed like rejected Wondercon promo art from 10 years ago.

Looks like he was trying for that original Bat-Man concept that Bob Kane had initially thought of, in terms of the almost mechanical bat-like wings.  If so, I guess the costume should have been all red then, instead of this later color scheme which Bill Finger actually came up with.  Still don't care much for it, but it might grow on you very very slowly. 

The Tick cover was actually pretty detailed and nicely done, although it is only for the spiral bound store edition with no market reports in them.  Which cover did you end up going for in the end?

16 hours ago, NoMan said:

My beloved Marvel Premiere #47 (1st Scott Laing Ant Man) is stuck at 160$ in 9.2. No movement from 2016 OSPG to 2017 OSPG.  :sorry:

Probably because it is such a common book in grade that almost every single non-vintage comic dealer has a copy of it sitting unsold on their tables at all of the local cons.  :gossip:

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Probably because it is such a common book in grade that almost every single non-vintage comic dealer has a copy of it sitting unsold on their tables at all of the local cons.  :gossip:

I got a 9.8 !!!!:banana:

21 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Looks like he was trying for that original Bat-Man concept that Bob Kane had initially thought of, in terms of the almost mechanical bat-like wings.  If so, I guess the costume should have been all red then, instead of this later color scheme which Bill Finger actually came up with.  Still don't care much for it, but it might grow on you very very slowly. 

The Tick cover was actually pretty detailed and nicely done, although it is only for the spiral bound store edition with no market reports in them.  Which cover did you end up going for in the end?

There's a little write-up/interview in the guide with him about the Batman cover.   I didn't particularly like the cover and went with ROM.   I would have preferred to see Steranko do Batman like he would've (most likely) drawn him in the late 60's.  

2 hours ago, chrisco37 said:
23 hours ago, lou_fine said:

There's a little write-up/interview in the guide with him about the Batman cover.   I didn't particularly like the cover and went with ROM.   I would have preferred to see Steranko do Batman like he would've (most likely) drawn him in the late 60's.  

That's what I wound up buying as well. I walked in thinking I'd go for Steranko Batman, but there was something about it I didn't care for so I picked up the ROM cover instead. I like Batman umch better than ROM, too. (: