• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Overstreet out Wednesday. Anybody seen it yet?
1 1

83 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, twmjr1 said:

I know that some copies are available a few days prior to publication. Anybody got it already? If so, anything noteworthy? Thx.

Since I've only seen the covers so far, the only noteworthy thing is that the 3 standard covers, including the h\Hall of Fame version, are just absolutely ugly this year.  :ph34r:

So horrid, in fact, that it actually made the Liefeld Deadpool Hero Initiative Limited Edition cover look good by comparison.  :whatthe:

10 minutes ago, twmjr1 said:

Agree, worst covers ever. Putrid.

Unfortunately, yes indeed.  :p

I loved the Sgt. Rock cover from last year and the Spirit one from the year before was alright.

Can't believe that is actually Steranko's interpretation of Batman because it looks like he has definitely lost it. 

Overstreet may be trying to get youngsters to buy the Price Guide by having mediocre cover art by Snyder or whoever, thus making the ltd edition Rob Liefeld 'Deadpool variant' cover the one to get from SDCC.

54 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

This might be the first time since #3 that I don't buy it. 

You are going to be behind the curve after all the cool kids have picked up  True Sports Picture Stories and King Comics (Popeye covers are HOT after the IDW reprint series flew off the shelves). Massive percentage increase in this year's guide. Also noted there was a huge bump in post-code Charlton non-TV cartoon books. 

Edited by comicparadox
;)

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Can't believe that is actually Steranko's interpretation of Batman because it looks like he has definitely lost it. 

Maybe it's the transgender version of Batman who aspires to be a Victoria Secrets model? (shrug)

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Since I've only seen the covers so far, the only noteworthy thing is that the 3 standard covers, including the h\Hall of Fame version, are just absolutely ugly this year.  :ph34r:

So horrid, in fact, that it actually made the Liefeld Deadpool Hero Initiative Limited Edition cover look good by comparison.  :whatthe:

Now THAT's some top-notch hyperbole right there! 

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Torchy by Ward was a good one too.

This might be the first time since #3 that I don't buy it. It really has lost it's relevance price wise. Best book on the planet for information though. I'm just tired of storing them.

Don't get tired, get rejuvenated!

The Guide is one book where you don't judge it by a cover. There's so much more to it and even at 48 years, Overstreet still has its place as a great resource for comic book collectors. 

12 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

The Guide is one book where you don't judge it by a cover. There's so much more to it and even at 48 years, Overstreet still has its place as a great resource for comic book collectors. 

I think so, too.  I buy it every year.  Since we're reminiscing about our favorite covers from the early years, I'll nominate the Barks "Porky of the Mounties" cover.

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

I think so, too.  I buy it every year.  Since we're reminiscing about our favorite covers from the early years, I'll nominate the Barks "Porky of the Mounties" cover.

I love the 1st Edition's cover for its simplicity and how it captures an era long gone. Love Kubert's Tarzan cover on the 5th Edition. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I was going to say the Porky Pig cover from I think #8- my first guide.