• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Overstreet out Wednesday. Anybody seen it yet?
1 1

83 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Tsp99 said:
12 hours ago, Superman2006 said:

Tsp99 mentioned earlier that Flash #1 went up by 50%+ in all grades under 9.0. How much did Flash #1 go up in 9.2? (i.e. the standard grade for the top 100 list, iirc)

Flash 1 is now 210k in NM-.  It is #15 in the Top 100.

1 hour ago, Chicago Boy said:

Where was it last year ?

Flash 1 was listed at $195K last year and finished in the #13 spot on the Top 100.  :gossip:

So, it looks like only a 7.7% increase for Flash 1 at top of guide, while Tsp99 says a 50% increase for all other condition grade levels under 9.0.  Definitely a significant change in Overstreet's historical pricing valuation model as he used to always show only minor valuation increases in the bottom grades, if even any at all, and then simply widened the spread from Good to NM1 by increasing only the 9.0 and 9.2 condition prices.  Although this is definitely applicable for in-demand GA books, not so sure this would apply to later SA books and BA books.  hm

Since Flash 1 has been bumped down 2 spots to #15, I would assume the 2 books that moved ahead of it would have been the aforementioned All-Star 8 and 'Tec 29 which were both nipping on Flash's heels at $175K and $185K respectively.  I guess the Flash must be slowing down in his old age.  lol

3 hours ago, Tsp99 said:

Bottom 5 of the Top 100 GA books are.... (all tied for #96) are Action 20, AA 25, Tec 32, Exciting 9, and Punch 12.  Top of guide for each of them is now 28k.

A well-deserved move up into the Top 100 for Punch 12 which was listed in guide at only $22K last year.  (thumbsu

Looks like AA 25 is destined to be dropping out of the Top 100, most likely in next year's edition of the guide.  I assume books like World's Best #1, Young Allies #1, or New Fun 2 may possibly have dropped off from the Top 100 on this go round here.  (shrug)

3 hours ago, Tsp99 said:
12 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Did Suspense Comics #3 (Continental) have another jump up the hierarchy of top 100 GA List or was it held back by the concurrent ;) leaps in Wonder Woman keys? :angel:

Suspense 3 is now 7500 G/ 15k VG/ 22.5k F/ 45k VF/77.5k VF/NM and 110k NM-

Ultra conservative Bob at work again as he likes to build in many years of future price increases and at the same time, let prices consolidate in order to nurture and grow the market over time with nice steady price increases going forward.  hm

Slightly higher percentage price increases at the top end to reflect there has been recent actual sales of this book in those grades.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Ultra conservative Bob at work again as he likes to build in many years of future price increases and at the same time, let prices consolidate in order to nurture and grow the market over time with nice steady price increases going forward.  hm

Slightly higher percentage price increases at the top end to reflect there has been recent actual sales of this book in those grades.  (thumbsu

In other words, his "price guide" is lol inaccurate.

Was looking at the guide at my LCS today, when I checked Venus it showed #19 broken out from #17... and didn't list 18 at all.  I was looking at the spiral-bound version; do the regular editions show the #18?  ( I would guess the 18 is still the same as the #17.)

3 hours ago, twmjr1 said:
4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Wouldn't this be the same for any price guide or any other pricing tool that is available out there right now?  hm

With Overstreet, sometimes it's a matter of reading between the lines and understanding the market dynamics yourself.  Same thing you would have to do when using GPA, Heritage archives, or eBay results in order to pull out the relevant useful information.  (shrug)

Without Overstreet's conservative and nurturing approach to pricing, my pwn personal feeling is that the comic book market would not have grown to the healthy state that it currently is in.  Definitely much better than Wizard's hyper aggressive pricing approach which seem much more like price setting in order to fuel the speculative Modern market which served only to result in a short term boom and bust on comic book prices.  Especially embarrassing for them sometimes when they were caught with their pants down by showing hyper high prices on their latest "red hot" chart topping books when some of them were not even published or on the stands yet due to deadline and/or shipping problems.  :facepalm:

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, twmjr1 said:

Price Guide is 'accurate' by big time dealers who generously offer the collector/seller 80% of Overstreet for GA, SA keys when market value is still 1.5 x of latest ANNUAL :wishluck: guide. e.g. AF #15 in 8.0 or Flash Comics #86 vg unrestored.

2 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Price Guide is 'accurate' by big time dealers who generously offer the collector/seller 80% of Overstreet for GA, SA keys when market value is still 1.5 x of latest ANNUAL :wishluck: guide. e.g. AF #15 in 8.0 or Flash Comics #86 vg unrestored.

A "guide" is a guide, not a stock market ticker.  The important thing about the OPG is the information.  I really appreciate that the OPG updated the information on the Nightingale after I discovered a copy based on my input, including giving more accurate information on the known copies in private and institutional hands.  I assume that something similar might now have happened with Double Action 1 (or was that last year?).  What I'm most interested in is not the new prices, but the new information and listings.

24 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Didn't Pat sell a VG copy or thereabouts for something like $1,800 Cdn in the Fan Expo last year, or was it a Flash 92.  ???

Either way, it looks like Overstreet has raised the VG unrestored valuation on this book quite aggressively during the past 2 years as it has gone from $628 up to $1,400 and now up to $3,000.  Absolutely love this dinosaur cover, but I don't think you can expect conservative Bob to do much more than this 378% in terms of a percentage price increase in just 2 years .  :whatthe:  hm

Edited by lou_fine

9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Didn't Pat sell a VG copy or thereabouts for something like $1,800 Cdn in the Fan Expo last year, or was it a Flash 92.  ???

Either way, it looks like Overstreet has raised the VG unrestored valuation on this book quite aggressively during the past 2 years as it (is) now up to $3,000.  Absolutely love this dinosaur cover .  :whatthe:  hm

Patrick 'wholesaled' his Flash #92 for over guide based on eBay trends but about 1/2 of true market value in Nov, 2016. He made enough loot, as he had that GA key in his collection for over 33 years, thus did not feel the Vancouver market would pay any higher.

42 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

This is the fly in the ointment for me.  The guide is clearly professionally done and with great attention to detail.  For grandma/grandpa on the street who want to sell a collection, why wouldn't they trust the prices to be at least reasonably accurate?  The fact that so many books go for so much more than their guide value, while most are a bit more accurate, makes it a minefield for the unsuspecting customer.  If only dealers/avid collectors know the secret prices on some books, it might look to some like a bit of a scam.  Unintended consequences, clearly, but there you go.  

5 hours ago, aardvark88 said:
6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Either way, it looks like Overstreet has raised the VG unrestored valuation on this book quite aggressively during the past 2 years as it (is) now up to $3,000.  Absolutely love this dinosaur cover .  :whatthe:  hm

Patrick 'wholesaled' his Flash #92 for over guide based on eBay trends but about 1/2 of true market value in Nov, 2016. He made enough loot, as he had that GA key in his collection for over 33 years, thus did not feel the Vancouver market would pay any higher.

So, it was a Flash 92 because I would have given it some thought if it was a Flash 86 with the beautiful dinosaur cover.  hm

Actually, I didn't arrive at the con until around 3:00 and then Harley asked me about the book.  I told him that he should get it if he really wanted it since he should be able to make some money on it.  He went around the corner to Pat's table and it was already gone as Pat said somebody was willing to pay "full price" for the book when they saw it. 

You snooze, you loose, as Harley really should have picked it up right away instead of dickering around for a few hours thinking about it.  doh!

8 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Anybody holding a GA superhero book for even 3 years should be making money, let alone a semi-key book from one of the 2 big GA publishers for a 33 year time period. 

Actually, personally I find that Pat does not have any real intention of selling off any of his quality books, especially when it comes to the GA stuff.  Just take a look at the Chinatown Collection which he has had for well over a decade and the only books he might possibly consider letting go would be some of the later unwanted Four Color books.

Doesn't really need the money I would assume, so then no real immediate reason to sell.  hm  (thumbsu

17 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Was looking at the guide at my LCS today, when I checked Venus it showed #19 broken out from #17... and didn't list 18 at all.  I was looking at the spiral-bound version; do the regular editions show the #18?  ( I would guess the 18 is still the same as the #17.)

That sounds strange that they wouldn't list 18 at all. In terms of desirability, I would list in order: 19, 18, 17 IMHO...

47 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

I remember mentioning how last year's Guide jumped Cindy 37 to $1000.00.

It has now doubled to $2k.

28 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Also Chamber of Chills 19 went from $1200.00 to $2500.00.

Yes, looks like Overstreet has really given a boot up to the classic covers in his guide valuations the past couple of years, especially since the marketplace has also been so hot to trot for these classic covers.  (thumbsu

Although he is a bit slow and conservation with his valuation increases, he's not as completely out of touch and irrelevant as some people try to claim him to be. 

Edited by lou_fine