• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Overstreet out Wednesday. Anybody seen it yet?
1 1

83 posts in this topic

It is a near impossible task to keep up with pricing any more. I feel like I am very educated checking EBay, Cons and these boards on a daily basis. But I am continually astounded what GA books fetch these days. Something reasonably cool is posted here and the next one on EBay goes to the moon. 

I have bid 10 times guide on a book that I think is off the radar and get out bid. I really notice it most on teen age and GGA books. Seems nobody much cared about them a few years ago when I started buying them and now many are getting unobtainable. Cindy 37 is a perfect example. It's a great book but it is now in the range of GA Caps. 

It blows me away the prices I am seeing on the wall pics at SDCC and yet people are happily paying up and are happy to do so. Even bragging about how much they paid. 

It's no wonder we all think Overstreet is out to lunch price wise. I guess I am too. I would have no idea how to price most of my stuff if I were to sell my collection. I guess off the CGC and off to auction. I wonder how surprised Jon Berk was the the out come of his auction?

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

It blows me away the prices I am seeing on the wall pics at SDCC and yet people are happily paying up and are happy to do so. Even bragging about how much they paid. 

Reminds me about yesterday when I was down at the local community centre working out at the gym and then going down to the swimming pools.

Was in the hot tub at the end and overheard the gentleman next to me say to his friend how he comes to the centre everyday since he has an annual pass for a couple hundred dollars and he wanted to be sure to get his money's worth out of it.  He then tells his friend about the house that he had just brought last month for only $10M dollars and now they were looking for another one for their son and daughter-in-law because it was such a good deal.  :screwy:

I guess it's all relative in the end.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

It is a near impossible task to keep up with pricing any more. I feel like I am very educated checking EBay, Cons and these boards on a daily basis. But I am continually astounded what GA books fetch these days. Something reasonably cool is posted here and the next one on EBay goes to the moon. 

I have bid 10 times guide on a book that I think is off the radar and get out bid. I really notice it most on teen age and GGA books. Seems nobody much cared about them a few years ago when I started buying them and now many are getting unobtainable. Cindy 37 is a perfect example. It's a great book but it is now in the range of GA Caps. 

It's no wonder we all think Overstreet is out to lunch price wise. I guess I am too. I would have no idea how to price most of my stuff if I were to sell my collection. I guess off the CGC and off to auction. I wonder how surprised Jon Berk was the the out come of his auction?

Don't you just wish we could go back to the good old days when some cool books went cheap. :smile:

Edited by comicjack

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 2:51 AM, lou_fine said:

Yes, looks like Overstreet has really given a boot up to the classic covers in his guide valuations the past couple of years, especially since the marketplace has also been so hot to trot for these classic covers.  (thumbsu

Although he is a bit slow and conservation with his valuation increases, he's not as completely out of touch and irrelevant as some people try to claim him to be. 

Agreed.   I noticed that a few (10?) years ago that, instead of his "normal" bump between years, that he has made a more concerted effort to identify/correct books that were way out of whack  (Bats 251, for example, was always a broken out book but the newer guides reflect the huge demand on this book compared to some of the other Adams boos). 

32 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Hit 7 finally broke out from the pack.

Good things come to those who are patient and willing to wait.  9_9

Since I won't be getting my copy until later this morning, has he finally broken out Jumbo 11 with the classic Fine cover from that little small pack yet?  :taptaptap:

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

has he finally broken out Jumbo 11 with the classic Fine cover from that little small pack yet?

Nope.  Has it grouped:

11-13:  $206/412/618/1318/2259/3200

If that wasn't enough, how about this kick to your nads?

11-13:  12-The Hawk-c by Eisner.  13-Eisner-c

On 2017-07-23 at 8:23 AM, Robot Man said:

It's no wonder we all think Overstreet is out to lunch price wise.

Not sure if it is a carryover from the auction mentality when one has to 'Mannup' online or in person at SDCC to purchase a key or semi-key comic or original comic art page. Hope and pray that the paper collectible keeps on appreciating :wishluck: if you decide to sell in 2 or 5 years out since one had to pay top of market to buy it.

Dollar wise, a downtown Vancouver townhouse (not detached house) with a peekaboo water view sold for $3.55 million or could have been rented for a mere $7k per MONTH. The real estate solicitation I saw was 90% in Chinese, 10% token English corp. name.

7 hours ago, chrisco37 said:
14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

has he finally broken out Jumbo 11 with the classic Fine cover from that little small pack yet?

Nope.  Has it grouped:

11-13:  $206/412/618/1318/2259/3200

If that wasn't enough, how about this kick to your nads?

11-13:  12-The Hawk-c by Eisner.  13-Eisner-c

And to top it off, he's had issue 14 broken out for as long as I can remember and valued higher than the Jumbo 11-13 grouping. 

Edited by lou_fine

Well, well.......it looks like old Bob finally finally got around to breaking out a few of those early Master's with the classic Raboy covers.  :whatthe:  :applause:

This included the Master 27 with the classic V for Victory cover, the Master 33 Swastika cover, and the not so classic so-so Master 36 Statue of Liberty cover.  (thumbsu

It's about time although I thought the cover Master 27 is really the most classic and should have gotten the largest percentage increase which was given to Master 33 instead.  hm

Detective #36 got a huge value increase in the new Overstreet.

2016-2017     2.0 - 3,500 4.0 - 7,000 6.0 - 10,500 8.0 - 26,000 9.0 - 40,500 9.2 - 55,000

2017-2018     2.0 - 5,500 4.0 - 11,000 6.0 - 16,500 8.0 - 40,000 9.0 - 60,000 9.2 - 80,000

57% increase at 2.0-6.0!!

The book moved up 11 spots in the top 100 Golden Age Comic NM list from 46th to 35th place.  

And had the 3rd highest gain in the top 100 at 46%.  Only behind the predictable Wonder Woman #1 at 47% and All Star Comics #8 at 49%.

I don't use Overstreet for FMV, but I feel it can help validate a book's "bluechip" status.

I'm glad the low grades are getting a different percentage bump than all the other grade.

Maybe now it will be a little less annoying/comical when a dealer pulls out the guide when I shop around some of my books at shows.

9 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

Detective #36 got a huge value increase in the new Overstreet.

2016-2017     2.0 - 3,500 4.0 - 7,000 6.0 - 10,500 8.0 - 26,000 9.0 - 40,500 9.2 - 55,000

2017-2018     2.0 - 5,500 4.0 - 11,000 6.0 - 16,500 8.0 - 40,000 9.0 - 60,000 9.2 - 80,000

57% increase at 2.0-6.0!!

The book moved up 11 spots in the top 100 Golden Age Comic NM list from 46th to 35th place.  

And had the 3rd highest gain in the top 100 at 46%.  Only behind the predictable Wonder Woman #1 at 47% and All Star Comics #8 at 49%.

I don't use Overstreet for FMV, but I feel it can help validate a book's "bluechip" status.

I'm glad the low grades are getting a different percentage bump than all the other grade.

Maybe now it will be a little less annoying/comical when a dealer pulls out the guide when I shop around some of my books at shows.

Lower grade GA especially should get good bumps. For every high grade buyer, there are 10 buyers that can't afford the high grade copy and are more than happy in many cases to pay more for a lower trade one. Low grade books often go for more and in some cases, way more than guide.

On 7/23/2017 at 11:23 AM, Robot Man said:

For an old-timer like me, it's still difficult to wrap my brain around some of these prices... especially for things like the above book.  It's amazing the thousands of dollars a comic will bring if it's cover is just slightly "sexy", or if it has a bondage or torture theme, even if these are tame by the standards of other mediums.  Extrapolating out, I guess that means the "average" pulp magazine must be worth about $5,000 now?  The typical men's adventure mag., maybe $2,000?  It looks like all of my old vintage paperbacks must be worth at least in the hundreds each.  Until recently, I was oblivious to the fact that I'm a multi-millionaire. ;)

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Lower grade GA especially should get good bumps. For every high grade buyer, there are 10 buyers that can't afford the high grade copy and are more than happy in many cases to pay more for a lower trade one. Low grade books often go for more and in some cases, way more than guide.

Overstreet has definitely noted this phenomenon and in fact is the only thing he has personally mentioned in his last 2 market reports.  Especially in terms of the key books now commanding such huge dollars, that collectors are now targeting the lower grade tiers.  I guess this is why we are seeing some rather explosive prices for what Gator refers to as entry level copies.

A classic example of this would be 'Tec 31 which seems to be out there in the lower grades, with respect to the CC auctions at least.  Copies of this particular book are definitely moving in all grades for the past few years, except for high grades since none has come to market in this time.  So, while Overstreet has bumped this book up by 28%+ over the past 2 years in top of guide, he has bumped it up by a whopping 92%+ in bottom of guide during the same 2-year time frame.  Same with a smaller key book like Flash 86 which he has increased by 172%+ over the past 2 years in top of guide, and yet at an astounding 377%+ in bottom of guide during the same 2-year time frame.

Definitely a marked change from what Overstreet had been doing for the prior 40+ years by increasing prices with a definite bias towards the high grades.  This is very clearly evident when he would often keep prices exactly the same at the bottom tiers and then simply increase the prices on the top 2 grade tiers and in effect, increasing the spread between Good and NM- prices which was the definite pattern for the first 40+ years of the guide's existence.  hm

Definitely good to see that Overstreet is attempting to keep up with this changing aspect of the marketplace.  (thumbsu

Looks like Overstreet has finally just figured out that there are multiple printings of Superman 1 out there.  Once again, I guess he's a little bit behind as we have been discussing this on the boards here for years now.  :blahblah:  :blahblah:

He's actually dedicated a entire page right after his own market report to this matter and talks about how to identify the different printings.  He even mentions gator's name and how this topic has been discussed by boardies in the past.  Sounds as though he is asking for additional information on these printings including prices realized, factual data.  In addition, he is also asking for similar information now for any other issues that may possibly be identified as having additional printings. 

Does books like Marvel 1 and Batman 1 come to mind here?  hm

Edited by lou_fine