• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superhero Killings in the GA

22 posts in this topic

There was a debate when the Man of Steel movie was first released about Superman killing someone. A lot of people pointed out in the GA books that he threw people out of high rises at times so killing wasn't really new. 

I recently caught this in the Captain Marvel serial from 1941. Watch at the 3:23 point. So I guess they didn't really fly down and save people off panel like some had hoped they did. lol Lots of other threatening scenes too.

Anyone else have some in your face killings by the mainstream superhero crowd back in the GA?

Edited by N e r V

13 minutes ago, telerites said:

That Cap Marvel serial has been considered one of the best ever made and I have to agree.  Tom Tyler did a great job.

What got me interested was this being released in September.

IMG_0175.JPG.b888ae82960fb0fd8b146c909b10899b.JPG

1 minute ago, N e r V said:

What got me interested was this being released in September.

So many times with the serials and I have a ton on wait for it, VHS - lol so I have seen I believe a bunch of them, the poster art and lobby cards which captured the action-oriented scenes like a movie trailer, the actual 12-15 chapters fell miserably short.  The cliffhanger endings were fun but again many were lame when you saw the out in the next chapter.  

This one was really good and if I remember correctly, the Cap Marvel flying was a paper mache model propelled across a line.  The Super serial used animation for that part so was kind of corny and very noticeable.  

30 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

cover to Tec 39

(thumbsu ... Not to mention the interior story, where a huge group of bad guys get crushed to death under a massive statue. If it's not a record for 'highest body count at the hands of a superhero', it's sure gotta be close.

Bats stabs a mongul through the heart with a sword in Tec 35. At the end of the story Lenox pulls a gun and the Batman throws an idol at him, knocking him out a high window.

Edited by Gotham Kid

5 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Tyler was a beast!! He was throwing people around easier than Hulk Hogan in that Captain Marvel serial. And he didn't even need a puffy, sculpted rubber suit!

Yeah he was weightlifter and was a stuntman so the ruggedness came naturally.  His westerns weren't bad albeit low-budget Bs for the most part.  Remember too he played the Phantom in another serial.  

Still the King of serials for me was Buster Crabbe - I still love the Flash Gordon serials and Buck ROgers was okay.  He did lots more but I still watch a chapter or two on youtube.  I loved the guest spot he did on the late 70s Buck Rogers TV show with Gil Gerard.  It was a neat homage to Crabbe and there is a great line in it.