• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action 1 2.0 or ALL the major Silver Keys in high grade
1 1

53 posts in this topic

A friend of mine is selling a piece of artwork to an art investor for a big chunk of change (possibly a couple mil)

He used to collect comics and has a soft spot for them, but got rid of his collection about a decade ago.

He emailed me today and told me he wants to take $300k - $500k of it and...., "I'd like to make a serious investment in Comic(s).  I am thinking either the best Action 1 I can find, or the entire set of main Marvel Keys from the silver age in 7.0 or higher."

He saw the Voldy Action 1 on ebay right now, but I told him he might want to stay away from big resto (plus that price! :whatthe:)

I know this is a GA forum so you guys might be biased, but I wanted to get your opinions.  If you seriously had the money to spend, which way would you go?  I told him he may want to invest every dime in AF15 7.0s and ASM 1s.

Edited by gadzukes

Action 1 all day for me.  I have all of the SA Marvel keys albeit not in that grade but they will always be around and readily available.  But I am looking at this from my personal collector's view so a purely investment view may be different for potential available turnaround buyers.

I don't get it.  Are you asking folks to speculate on what would earn the best rate of return - a 2.0 Action 1 or Marvel SA keys in 7.0+?

My advice to the guy would be twofold:  (1) collect what you love the most and (2) invest in a market you understand in accord with your risk profile.

I put a feeler out to him about the whole "collect what you like" business and he responded that he "liked" all of it.  He's been out of the hobby for at least a decade, but is going to be able to jump back in in a major way.

When you have that big of a chunk of change to spend, there are just SO many options in how to divy up the $.  I think a complete Action 1 would be pretty cool, but a set of High Grade Marvel keys would be awesome too. 

He could probably go 8.0 on a couple pricey Marvel keys and into the mid 9.0 on many of them for the same $ as a complete Action 1

Edited by gadzukes

53 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I put a feeler out to him about the whole "collect what you like" business and he responded that he "liked" all of it.  He's been out of the hobby for at least a decade, but is going to be able to jump back in in a major way.

When you have that big of a chunk of change to spend, there are just SO many options in how to divy up the $.  I think a complete Action 1 would be pretty cool, but a set of High Grade Marvel keys would be awesome too. 

He could probably go 8.0 on a couple pricey Marvel keys and into the mid 9.0 on many of them for the same $ as a complete Action 1

what art is he selling?

33 minutes ago, Bronty said:

what art is he selling?

I don't want to say because the deal has not been fully finalized.  I will say it's a nice piece he found at a persons house and he picked it up for virtually nothing.  My friend has a wealth of art knowledge and has found MANY original pieces thru the years that were mis-labeled or unidentified, (but he knew).  Knowledge is power in just about everything we do.

I'd get the Marvel keys. As many Marvel keys as he can buy. Seriously. More people want them and they are easier to sell for a profit.