• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Definitive" List of Bronze Age Marvel Keys
7 7

109 posts in this topic

On 8/11/2017 at 8:17 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

You raise a good point.

I don't think there's a clear consensus on the Silver / Bronze boundary.  I originally thought that the rule should be that 15-cent cover prices are Silver, and Bronze starts with the 25-cent double-sized issues (November 1971) followed immediately by the string of 20-cent "picture frame" covers.  But Conan #1 (October 1970) is a 15-cent cover and seems to always be thought of as a Bronze book.

Here are the 15-cent covers in my list above, sorted by publication date:

• Sub-Mariner #8 (Dec. 1968)
  • Thor #165 and #166 (June / July 1969)
  • Captain America #117 (Sept. 1969)
  • Conan #1 (Oct. 1970)
  • Avengers #83 (Dec. 1970)
  • Sub-Mariner #34 and #35 (Feb. / March 1971)
  • Incredible Hulk #141 (July 1971)

So, if we use 1970 as the litmus test, that would eliminate the first three bullets above.  I think that feels right for the first two, but Cap #117 definitely feels like a Bronze book to me.

What do you think?  Where should I draw the line?

Anything that was released during January 1970 is when bronze started. Everything I've seen indicates bronze to be 1970-1982

On 7/23/2017 at 10:11 PM, Lazyboy said:

Strange Tales 170 - ??

Remove:
Amazing Spider-Man 135, 150
Avengers 93, 100
Daredevil 158
Fantastic Four 112
Ghost Rider 1
Iron Fist 1
Uncanny X-Men 142

Add:
Avengers 181, 195, 196
Giant-Size Creatures 1
Ms. Marvel 9
Savage She-Hulk 1
Strange Tales 178-181
The Cat 1
X-Men 96, 97, 107, 117, 130

You'd add X-Men 96 first Moira and 97?

On 10/4/2018 at 7:59 PM, AGGIEZ said:

DC Superstars #17 (1st Huntress)

Defenders #1 (1st Defenders)

Warlock #1 (1st In-Betweener, Thanos/Gamora origin)

According to Wikipedia, DC Super-Stars #17 and All-Star Comics #69 were released on the same day.  Mike's Amazing World says Super-Stars was published 2 days after All-Star, but I'm not sure how plausible that is.

Defenders #1 was the 4th Defenders after Marvel Feature #1-3.

I think you mean Warlock #10. In-Betweener appeared in one panel in #9.

1 hour ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

According to Wikipedia, DC Super-Stars #17 and All-Star Comics #69 were released on the same day.  Mike's Amazing World says Super-Stars was published 2 days after All-Star, but I'm not sure how plausible that is.

Defenders #1 was the 4th Defenders after Marvel Feature #1-3.

I think you mean Warlock #10. In-Betweener appeared in one panel in #9.

Run the copyright search if you really want to know. :sumo: Because we all know that wikipedia is whatever the last man standing says. lol

Edited by divad

On 10/4/2018 at 11:19 PM, Knightsofold said:

Great seeing the notes.   I have a few questions on some:

Can you add the notations to the Amazing Spidermans, Avengers, Captain Marvel 25?

Is Cat #1 the fist app?

What’s marvel spotlight 12?

Why Marvel team up #1? 

Why Ms Marvel 16,17,18?

I’d like to see this list ranked by value, but don’t have the time atm to do that.

Cat #1 was her first appearancs.

Marvel Spotlight #12 was the first full Son of Satan, following cameos in Ghost Rider #1 & 2,

Marvel Team-Up #1 was the first issue of a popular and long running series, and the first Misty Knight :-)

Ms Marvel #18 was the first full Raven Darkholme/Mystique. She had cameo appearances in the previous two issues

1 hour ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

Ms Marvel #18 was the first full Raven Darkholme/Mystique. She had cameo appearances in the previous two issues

No.

Multiple pages in #17, using her shapeshifting powers. One page in #18.

On 10/7/2018 at 4:47 PM, Chaykin Stevens said:

#18 is the first time her true appearance is shown.

#18 reveals her natural form (in one panel on her one page), but it is not her first appearance (which is #16) or her first full appearance (which is #17).

Marvel Team Up 1 is not the first Misty Knight, there is a black girl with an afro, who looks pretty, but it's not Misty, she would not be some victim to muggers.

Misty Knight's 1st appearance is Marvel Premiere 21, where she is a tough martial artist, not some random victim ;-)

Be good to know when it's from, does not look like a 70's comic to me though. Some writer comes along and obviously read MTU 1 and decided that was her, as the marvel universe index's from early 80's say her first appearance was Marvel Premiere 21.

Marvel Premiere 21 makes more sense to me, kung fu fighting, tough woman, not some extra who barely has a few lines in MTU 1.

On 7/18/2017 at 4:44 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Thank you!

I did have Marvel Preview #4 and #7 on the list, which covers Star Lord and Rocket Raccoon.  I put Conan #23 on my list when it looks like I really meant #24.  :blush:

Totally forgot about Deathlok, Man-Thing, and Shang-Chi (I have the first of those three, not the other two).  I hadn't considered Night Nurse, Dracula, and Blade but maybe I should.  Just when I thought I was done searching for Bronze Age issues!!

Avengers 116. Silver Surfer Cover
Adventure Into Fear 19. First Howard The Duck