• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schomburg's KKK robe covers
1 1

62 posts in this topic

Suspense 3, MMC 28, MMC 29, MMC 51, MMC 52, MMC 56, All New 8, etc. etc.

They have two things in common (1) Alex Schomburg and (2) bad guys, usually but not always Nazi's, wearing KKK robes.

As far as I know, Nazis never wore anything like the KKK robes.  Yet, Schomburg used that motif again and again.  It makes sense, he's a Jewish kid and the KKK were fellow travelers with the Nazis.  But, I'm a bit shocked he got away with making the KKK/Nazi equation back in the 1940s when publishers were leery of offending the racist South.  I personally view it as a bit of a profiles in courage moment for the publishers who used the motif.

Which brings me to my questions:

(1) Anyone got a list of all of Schomburg's KKK robe covers?

(2) Anyone know of any cover artist other than Schomburg using that motif?  (No, the Crime Suspenstories cover doesn't count as that's of the KKK itself).

49 minutes ago, walclark said:

mmc45.jpg

greenhornet15.jpg

Marvel Mystery 45 is a great one. I don't think I ever noticed the Red Skull in the lower left corner. And what happened to his head? How come the snake doesn't bite the Nazis? How come Toro doesn't just flame on instead of just hanging there? I guess you just have to go with it. Kind of like, How does Superman fly? Because he can...

28 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Marvel Mystery 45 is a great one. I don't think I ever noticed the Red Skull in the lower left corner. And what happened to his head? How come the snake doesn't bite the Nazis? How come Toro doesn't just flame on instead of just hanging there? I guess you just have to go with it. Kind of like, How does Superman fly? Because he can...

I've been told by some of the Timely experts on the board that this is not the Red Skull on the cover.  Don't know why  (shrug)

5 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Suspense 3, MMC 28, MMC 29, MMC 51, MMC 52, MMC 56, All New 8, etc. etc.

They have two things in common (1) Alex Schomburg and (2) bad guys, usually but not always Nazi's, wearing KKK robes.

As far as I know, Nazis never wore anything like the KKK robes.  Yet, Schomburg used that motif again and again.  It makes sense, he's a Jewish kid and the KKK were fellow travelers with the Nazis.  But, I'm a bit shocked he got away with making the KKK/Nazi equation back in the 1940s when publishers were leery of offending the racist South.  I personally view it as a bit of a profiles in courage moment for the publishers who used the motif.

Which brings me to my questions:

(1) Anyone got a list of all of Schomburg's KKK robe covers?

(2) Anyone know of any cover artist other than Schomburg using that motif?  (No, the Crime Suspenstories cover doesn't count as that's of the KKK itself).

Was Schomburg Jewish? His bio in the Secret History of Marvel Comics by Blake Bell states he was not.