• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Restoration A B C system does NOT Work!

10 posts in this topic

So I have submitted multiple restored books from some of the better restoration professionals out there and they always come back with B designation!  The books look amazing, for sure do not meet the guidelines of B as being mediocre quality or using chalk/pencil etc.   So I sent the last book in with a cert from Matt Nelson Classic Conservation (from a few years ago) himself detailing his work, it was virtually impossible to tell it was even restored, it was so well done and only slight/moderate work at that!   Guess what, I still got a B ,mediocre restoration designation!!!!  WTF!!!  CGC was so much better when it just had the P or A for professional materials or amateur materials, their new designations make no sense and it appears to me it is impossible to get an A unless you actually pay CGC to restore a book for you today/right now!  I have heard the same thing from many other people with pro restored books, never an A unless you pay CGC/Matt and party to restore it for you!  Who else wishes they go back to the pro or amateur designation as the A/B/C is so biased that it no longer holds any true meaning?  

While I find your post interesting, it could be that you are confusing coincidence with causality.  It would be more...enlightening to hear from Mike DeChellis or Susan Cicconi as to where books they have recently worked on fell on the CGC restoration grading scale. 

I would also point out  that in one area, your post is factually incorrect.  A "B" rating  equals "fine". Not mediocre.  

I have heard the same from Mike (he had spent many months carefully working on a couple of the books I submitted).  Mike also told me he heard the same from others he considers pro's.   CGC will only give out B on all work no matter how well done or slight unless you send it in house and pay big bucks for their own team to restore for you, (conflict of interest???)   I think he mentioned there is even a lawsuit pending against CGC because of this biased grading practice.   I had just sent in a good sampling of my restored books (from 3 differently quality pro's) to see if what I had heard checks out and sure enough, they won't give an A out for anything.  It's total B.S the books I submitted would get a B quality for work and not an A, especially the book Matt Nelson worked on!  B work pretty much means mediocre to the majority of us.  You get a fine 6.0 grade out of 10, yeah, that's pretty mediocre for book grading, not great, just average, fine = medicore compared to "A" work in my lingo. :)    

The lawsuit that you refer to was - I'm fairly certain - over the numeric grades assigned to the restored books of the plaintiff. Not the ABC quality. You can have your own definition of words if you want :) but fine doesn't mean mediocre in the dictionary. Nor does a "B" grade in school indicate mediocre.  And if someone says "she's so fine...." that doesn't mean she's mediocre. 

However, if other professional restoration services are observing the same thing you refer to,  then there is reason to raise eyebrows.  

On 7/22/2017 at 7:09 AM, Tbone911t said:

They definitely do give "A"s to books they did not do the work on. Example :

IH181(8.5R).jpg

LOL,  I bet I could put a micro dot or two of acrylic paint on a spot and have CGC call it "A" professional.  Show me a an A level restoration quality book (not restored by CGC) that was moderately or extensively restored, pieces replaced, reinforced, real amount of color touch etc.   Probably exists somewhere, but it's got to be something like 1 in 1,000 of all profesionally restored books (not done by CGC right then and there for a significant profit).   Even Matt Nelson himself could not get the A designation on my book he restored for me several years ago and it was fairly light/moderate work and perfectly done, takes a black light to even detect it!   I would be much happier if they avoided this problem/conflict of interest and went back to the old system, either Amature or Professional based on the quality of materials used (reversable), unless really poorly done.   I will cross my fingers for logic and fairness to win out, but won't hold my breath. :)

I may be naive or behind the times but I always thought when a book hits the grading floor where it came from is supposed to be anonymous. If CGC is being made aware that their own restoration company worked on this book or that book, that certainly does sound like a conflict of interest.

3 hours ago, ThatPovGuy said:

I may be naive or behind the times but I always thought when a book hits the grading floor where it came from is supposed to be anonymous. If CGC is being made aware that their own restoration company worked on this book or that book, that certainly does sound like a conflict of interest.

Nothing's changed in regards to that. Once the book is sitting in front of the graders, they have no clue who did the work on the book. The OP is speculating wildly based on nothing.