• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Airports. Canada, U.S, and $11,000 in Comics
1 1

25 posts in this topic

Hello, anyone have any experience in  bringing comics from Canada to the U.S for sale. Specifically,  I plan to fly from Toronto to New York next week with a few books (8) in my carry on bag. It looks like I will be selling to Metropolis comics . The total value of the sale will be around $11,000 U.S. Once I get the check I will deposit in my Canadian bank while still in the U.S. Any special declarations or problems I should expect? Anyone have direct experience ? There has to be a Canadian dealer in here that would know.

Thanks for the help. 

1 hour ago, shane1956 said:

Hello, anyone have any experience in  bringing comics from Canada to the U.S for sale. Specifically,  I plan to fly from Toronto to New York next week with a few books (8) in my carry on bag. It looks like I will be selling to Metropolis comics . The total value of the sale will be around $11,000 U.S. Once I get the check I will deposit in my Canadian bank while still in the U.S. Any special declarations or problems I should expect? Anyone have direct experience ? There has to be a Canadian dealer in here that would know.

Thanks for the help. 

"It looks like...." is the difference between you being delivering sold items for import vs. being treated like a salesperson seeking to complete a sale while travelling with samples.  Personal items owned by a Canadian entering the USA aren't an area that I'm really focused on - generally speaking self declaration of items you intend to declare as personal items, which doesn't mean much to CBP.  
Luckily comics are duty free so ultimately you can import the items at no cost but I'd speak someone at US Customs to get guidance - I believe US Customs is at Pearson Int'l Airport but that's mostly related to pre-screening for immigration & the movement of people - ultimately I think getting guidance on declaring the items might be better addressed by US customs & border protection at your destination airport JFK/LaGuardia if you want to reach out to them.

For clarification of what the other post meant by negotiable instruments see the link. 

1 hour ago, FN-2199 said:

Comics aren't defined by Congress as negotiable instruments so I would believe they fall under merchandise under the customs declaration.

Completely off topic, sorry, but your signature line is great @FN-2199 :applause:

I would recommend you go through Border Brokerage to self-broker your goods destined for USA sale, as comics will not be returning to Canada with you. Specifically because your goods are over the threshold of $2,500 US value, you MUST have the proper self-brokerage invoice (and pay the Cdn fee for said documentation) to enter USA with said goods else you risk being refused entry to the USA and being turned back at the border or airport until you can provide such border brokerage.

Or you get lucky and not have your comics or slabs reviewed by USA border Inspectors when you try to enter USA side of airport with high valued goods. If you try to under declare such goods or not declare at all (smuggle), USA side inspectors have authority to seize your comics and issue you a Fine up to double ($22k US plus processing fee) the declared value of deemed 'commercial goods for resale' (even if from your Personal collection) before they release the comics back to you.  A simple airport short Customs Declaration form is not enough, as the declared value is over $2,500 US of 'commercial goods'.  Be wary. :wishluck:

Edited by aardvark88
sp.

9 hours ago, shane1956 said:

Thanks for the help. 

Hey Shane :hi: 

from your question, you sound like the gentleman who was just in my shop in London, Ontario. 

If these were mine, and I was specifically asked about the books, I would say I was bringing them across for evaluation. 

That being said, I doubt you'll be asked about them. 2c 

Andy

34 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Who'd have thunk the US makes it so hard to repatriate our national treasures?

What is strange is that most of the SA Marvels were printed by Quebecor Publishing in Canada then distributed to the USA. Perhaps USA does not want these filthy Canadian comics entering or re-entering USA, as true Americans should 'Buy American' goods or near mints. :preach:

2 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:
12 hours ago, shane1956 said:

Thanks for the help. 

Hey Shane :hi: 

from your question, you sound like the gentleman who was just in my shop in London, Ontario. 

If these were mine, and I was specifically asked about the books, I would say I was bringing them across for evaluation. 

That being said, I doubt you'll be asked about them. 2c 

Andy

@shane1956

I would tread carefully.

Taking books across the border with the intent to sell can likely be considered working without a work permit or proper VISA under US law.

You are crossing the border with commercial goods with the intention of selling them (receiving money for goods) and that is unlawful without a work permit or a VISA permitting it.

It used to be a grey area but under new anti terrorism and anti money laundering laws (mostly instituted or enforced since 9-11) they have become very strict with this sort of thing.

5 hours ago, VintageComics said:

@shane1956

I would tread carefully.

Taking books across the border with the intent to sell can likely be considered working without a work permit or proper VISA under US law.

You are crossing the border with commercial goods with the intention of selling them (receiving money for goods) and that is unlawful without a work permit or a VISA permitting it.

It used to be a grey area but under new anti terrorism and anti money laundering laws (mostly instituted or enforced since 9-11) they have become very strict with this sort of thing.

There you go! (thumbsu be careful. 

Thanks everyone ! I figured it wasn't as easy as packing them in a carry on bag. I'm going to discuss directly with Metropolis.  Roy, when I was posting this I figured you would be the guy who would know and I was hoping you would post. I'm still regretting not buying your Hulk 181 9.2 about 6 years ago. I got cold feet then went back to look 2 weeks later and it was sold. I ended up buying another 9.2 which to me wasn't as nice .

Andy, it was me that was in your shop last week while I was in London Ontario. For anyone reading this and in Canada, it is worth the stop to Forest City Coins in London Ontario . Great store and Andy is a very nice guy. 

2 hours ago, shane1956 said:

Andy, it was me that was in your shop last week while I was in London Ontario. For anyone reading this and in Canada, it is worth the stop to Forest City Coins in London Ontario . Great store and Andy is a very nice guy. 

I would like to hear more about Forest City Coins.   I was walking by them about two years ago, saw old comics among all the other stuff they have, and went inside.   But I was, shall we say, "dismissed" by staff telling me they only did email auctions and internet sales on comics.  If that has changed, I will happily return. 

3 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:
9 hours ago, VintageComics said:

@shane1956

I would tread carefully.

There you go! (thumbsu be careful. 

I just want to clarify a few things.

The above is just my understanding based on my interaction with US Customs Border Patrol over the last decade or so. I cross about 50 times a year. It's gotten to the point that they know me as I cross so often.

I'd certainly call them and ask specifically what you're allowed to do as the rules to a pro comic book dealer may not apply to someone who is just a collector.

But I will stress that once you are in front of a border guard, you are at the mercy of the judgement of the individual standing in front of you and it's their personal judgement that decides which direction the crossing heads in.

I'd call or Google and get your answers from US CBP as their answers are the only ones that matter.

I've decided that it's not really worth the risk in messing up my wife's vacation hahah. Unless Metropolis has a solution I might see if I can get a Canadian dealer to match their price to save the potential problems. I don't have to sell but as a collector of a few things I was willing to sink the $ into the other collection outside comics this go around. 

10 hours ago, VintageComics said:

@shane1956

I would tread carefully.

They only Hassle the long-hairs, hippie.

Why not mail them to Metrolpolis/Comicconnect? Are you consigning them or do you have an agreement to sell them out right? 

Just wondering the need to be there in person, not like this is Craigslist.

2 hours ago, Phicks1 said:

I would like to hear more about Forest City Coins.   I was walking by them about two years ago, saw old comics among all the other stuff they have, and went inside.   But I was, shall we say, "dismissed" by staff telling me they only did email auctions and internet sales on comics.  If that has changed, I will happily return. 

Hi @Phicks1

I'm Andy and Forest City Coins is my shop.  Not sure why someone told you that we only did email auctions and internet sales on comics.  That doesn't make any sense to me, and I'm sorry if you were told that.

Rest assured, we sell comics every single day in the store, and my inventory changes quickly. 

I would love for you to stop by again and check us out. :foryou:

As I don't want to derail this thread any more, if you need more info, just PM me. (thumbsu

Best,

Andy