• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Overstreet out today, any huge movers?
1 1

45 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

The Overstreet price guide is a historical price guide and is supposedly designed to report on prices for the previous year.  :gossip:

And so, in this sense, they are bang on in terms of the valuation for Batman 635, which I would actually find surprising since he generally like to see a consolidation in prices before putting them into the price guide.  hm

They are not like the old highly hyped and speculative Wizard "Price" Guide which really tries more to set the prices for the current marketplace, as opposed to actually reporting on them.  Especially when they were caught with their pants down more than once by"reporting" high valuations on supposedly hot books that had not yet even been distributed due either to creator deadline or shipping problems.  lol  (tsk) 

So the price is what? I stated it appeared it was 2 years behind. From what Martin said I gather the current guide price is $30?

Modern speculators and savvy dealers don't use the guide as more than a reference for historical information, not prices. So please, tell me how Wizard magazine has relevance to this conversation?

8 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

I have been beating the drum on JLA #75 for years. It's essentially the first appearance of the Silver Age Black Canary. Thanks to DC"s multiple universes, though, it's not as clear as a lot of other character's first appearances. However, it was later recognized officially as the first appearance of the Silver Age Black Canary in a really convoluted retcon just before Crisis on Infinite Earths.

In the prior two issues, Black Canary is still on Earth-2 as part of the JSA. During that storyline, her husband, Larry Lance, is killed. At the end of #74, she decides to start a new life on Earth-1 by going to Earth-1 with the Justice League.

#75 is Black Canary's first issue on Earth-1. it's also her first issue as a member of the Justice League. More importantly, it's the first appearance of her Canary Cry, with the explanation that traveling between worlds somehow triggered some kind of mutation. And finally, her relationship with Green Arrow begins in this issue, though it's subtle, as the two of them co-narrate the tale. 

It's a very clear breaking point between the old Golden Age version of the character and the new Silver Age version reimagined by Denny O'Neil. It's also the second appearance of the new look Green Arrow, after B&B #85, also written by O'Neil. 

It was later retconned that the Canary who came to Earth-1 is actually the daughter of the Earth-2 Canary, and she had been in stasis in limbo because her canary cry couldn't be controlled on Earth-2 or something. it's too weird to explain. This retcon was deemed necessary because all the other heroes in the JSA were pushing 65 by that point, only on Earth-1, Black Canary was still young. 

Importantly for viewing #75 as a first appearance, that retcon remained in place post-Crisis - though the details were obviously different, post-Crisis the modern Dinah Lance was the daughter of the original Black Canary, Dinah Drake Lance, who had been a member of the JSA in her youth. The idea that there were two Black Canarys ultimately came from the major changes made to the character in JLA #75.

Her powers, personality, and relationship with Green Arrow all date to this issue. I think it's absolutely the key issue for Black Canary fans after Flash Comics #92. 

Having said all that, I'd bet my hat the price bump actually just is because the issue has an iconic black cover that's really hard to find in grade. 

Weird that she falls for Green Arrow after getting hit with his Stickum Shaft in #74.

50 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Modern speculators and savvy dealers don't use the guide as more than a reference for historical information, not prices. So please, tell me how Wizard magazine has relevance to this conversation?

Only relevance is that Wizard always attempted to keep up with prices on the current hot books of the day which sounds like what you was looking for in terms of a price guide.  (shrug)

As you have correctly pointed out, however, it is actually not possible for a printed format of a price guide to ever be right on top of current actual prices in the marketplace.  (thumbsu

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Only relevance is that Wizard always attempted to keep up with prices on the current hot books of the day which sounds like what you was looking for in terms of a price guide.  (shrug)

As you have correctly pointed out, however, it is actually not possible for a printed format of a price guide to ever be right on top of current actual prices in the marketplace.  (thumbsu

Correct, I was not saying I want a printed copy to be what a book sold for yesterday. But, Batman 635, I think, did not appropriately move for two years. I think at least. Still don't know what the guide says.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Correct, I was not saying I want a printed copy to be what a book sold for yesterday. But, Batman 635, I think, did not appropriately move for two years. I think at least. Still don't know what the guide says.

Martin was correct with the $30 figure for Batman 635 in 9.2 NM- grade as it looks like old slow Bob :taptaptap:  lol finally got around to breaking out this book from its grouping where it was simply lumped in with Bats 634 - 638 at only $3 a pop.

Bob's usual MO is to break out a book from its larger grouping with some minor increase to show that it has now been segregated.  He then piles on the valuation increases for the next few years until he gets it much closer to market value.  hm

Well, at least that's what he does with breaking out GA books, not so sure about his technique for the more recent BA and CA books.  (shrug)