• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to sell comics no one wants?

25 posts in this topic

Hi all. I'm looking to get out of comics totally, but the majority of books I have no one wants to buy. I've tried kijiji, craigslist and all the local comic shops, and I've gotten offers from if you leave them we'll throw them in the trash for you, to it'd cost me more in gas than they're worth to look at them so if I come out you'll have to sell all 200 to me for $10. I've got graphic novels, single odd issues (no runs of any title, mostly things I picked up with other things that I wanted at the time), sketch covers and signature books and some commissioned original art. Most of the things are far too heavy to mail, based on the meager "value" they might have.

I don't want these things anymore. They remind me of a happier time in my life, one I am no longer a part of. I can't bring myself to throw them away, even though that's most likely what I'll end up doing. My ex helped me buy them, showing an interest in it, to make me not feel like I was wasting my money. It's kind of a long story... I'd really appreciate any suggestions anyone can offer.

Thanks,
James

There has to be some one who wants this stuff. Have you thought of donating them to a children's hospital or a charity? You could probably get a bit of a tax write off and maybe make some one else happy. 

There's always the other way, I left a couple of boxes on the curb with the trash and they were gone in an hour or two long before the trash man ever came...

I suppose I should clarify a few things...

I broke up with my girlfriend of 15 years and moved back to Canada. Collecting was my way of coping with living in England, when I really hated it there. I have a big game used and rare non-game used ice hockey stick/equipment collection for the same reason.

Now that it's over and I'm back "home", these things alternately mean nothing to me and remind me of a happier time that I effed up. Even though I hated where I was, I loved who I was with, and the life I had.

Coming back has been infinitly worse and harder than I ever thought it would be. I've been here almost 4 months, and I'm almost broke. I've been putting out no fewer than 20 job applications a day and haven't had an interview yet. Hell, I haven't been contacted by anyone other than scammers. I'm out of medicine, and I haven't been able to get my ID sorted so I can apply for provincial health care. I can't afford the meds, anyway, so that point's kind of moot. I can't deal with this at the moment. All I want is them gone, and not to feel like I dumped thousands of dollars into something worthless. Rationally, I know that's true. I don't want to face it.

The books and artwork aren't kid friendly for the most part. I'll probably donate the safe for kids stuff to the children's hospital later in the month.

Thanks for the help so far, it's making things a bit more clear.

5 hours ago, Kahnadah said:

I broke up with my girlfriend of 15 years and moved back to Canada. Collecting was my way of coping with living in England, when I really hated it there. I have a big game used and rare non-game used ice hockey stick/equipment collection for the same reason.

Now that it's over and I'm back "home", these things alternately mean nothing to me and remind me of a happier time that I effed up. Even though I hated where I was, I loved who I was with, and the life I had.

Coming back has been infinitly worse and harder than I ever thought it would be. I've been here almost 4 months, and I'm almost broke. I've been putting out no fewer than 20 job applications a day and haven't had an interview yet. Hell, I haven't been contacted by anyone other than scammers. I'm out of medicine, and I haven't been able to get my ID sorted so I can apply for provincial health care. I can't afford the meds, anyway, so that point's kind of moot. I can't deal with this at the moment. All I want is them gone, and not to feel like I dumped thousands of dollars into something worthless. Rationally, I know that's true. I don't want to face it.

The books and artwork aren't kid friendly for the most part. I'll probably donate the safe for kids stuff to the children's hospital later in the month.

Hi James, sounds like life is kinda hard right now.  Keep paddling and life will get better.  It's an awful time to be looking for a job in Calgary right now but things will change.

Sadly many comics aren't worth much, the value is in reading them and there's little residual value.  If you're in a position to hold a garage sale and you advertise 'comics' for the garage sale you'll probably sell a bunch at $1 each.  If you contact a dealer you'll likely get offered $10 to $30 per long box.  

I'm in Edmonton and will be setting up Calgary in September for the Red and White Comic show but I'm not sure it's worth coming by to look.  If you want to private message me some pics I'd be happy to look.

Edited by thehumantorch

James, 

First, take some deep breaths, and think about the good things in your life right now.   Sounds like you are going through a bout of depression, and perhaps you can get some free counseling and sort some of it out.  

Purging things linked to your past, sounds like a natural reaction for anyone who goes through a break up.   Sometimes you have to look at comics like movies.  You pay $10 for a movie, and you watch it, you leave.  You don't get to resell that. If you have comics, and you read them, maybe they don't have any value per se', but you paid for the story.  As somebody said, try taking a table and blowing them out at .50 each, or a garage sale.  If you can whittle it down, that is a win.  Whatever is left donate.  

Feel better, life is not as bad as it seems. 

3 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

My advice. Hold on to them until the inevitable time when you are happy again and can make a more rational decision. 

This
Comic books didn't mean much to me either after my divorce.  Fast forward six years, I've remarried, happy and regret to this day all the stuff I got rid of. Just put it in boxes in a dark part of the closet and revisit this five years from now. 

Sincerely sorry to hear you've hit a rough time. It's hard to be receptive to others' advice sometimes but you'll be your own worst enemy if you let your mind sabotage you from within. Just be disciplined, acknowledge when you're getting down on yourself and just try to shift gears in your head away from the negative. Most likely this is not permanent, just weather the storm. I've been through tough times where I've wanted to get rid of everything because sometimes purging feels like the only way you can be productive and rebuild your self-worth. Sometimes shedding that skin can give you the direction you need -- just to feel like you're focused on something, anything, and moving out of the fog.  Maybe the overall task is too big, but just getting the process started can give you the distance from your current state of mind to pull through. This world is tough just to make ends meet, but it also has a way of presenting opportunities and new avenues if you're receptive. Hang in there!

Incidentally, I recommend Eckhart Tolle's "A New Earth". I am not typically nor have I ever been open to self-help mumbo jumbo, but someone gave me a copy of the audio book and it's really changed my internal dialogue completely. Really life-changing stuff that can clear your mind.

Best of luck to you and, specifically in regards to the comics, at least recycle them rather than just trashing them.

Unless you really need the money or the space - I'd put them away and forget about them.  None of us have found a way to sell worthless drek for top dollar or we would all be millionaires.  200 books is a long box of memories that you may want in the future which I think would be more valuable then the $10-$20 you could get for them.

Must agree with the other folks, I'd hang onto them for now. In your current situation I know it probably seems impossible to find the light at the end of the tunnel, but trust me, this too shall pass. it always does. And when it does, you'll be happy to have your stuff. If it was worth enough money that it could possibly impact your life, I'd say go ahead and sell. But if there's no real value other than sentimental, hold onto them until you're ready to enjoy them again. You will be, one day, for sure.

23 hours ago, Kahnadah said:

As impossible as it sounds there is going to come a point where the pain will be gone.  It may seem ridiculous.  But you'd be much smarter to store everything away somewhere and put it out of mind.  A few months/years down the road you might discover an even greater level of happiness and comics might call to you again-- then you'd end up rebuying the stuff you had.

Things happen for a reason, if your girlfriend was meant to be the one you spend your life with it would have happened.  Her loss.  Move on and don't let it affect the next day of your life.

Be glad there was no marriage legalities to have to struggle through, divorce is not only hard it's expensive.