• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sdcc photos
1 1

122 posts in this topic

Since there is so much high end art at the show, How is a customer supposed to pay for a piece of art with asking prices of 50k, 60k 75k or even a 100k+ ?  Dealers expecting the customer to walk around with that kind of cash in their pocket?  

Edited by Kevin76

17 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

Since there is so much high end art at the show, How is a customer supposed to pay for a piece of art with asking prices of 50k, 60k 75k or even a 100k+ ?  Dealers expecting the customer to walk around with that kind of cash in their pocket?  

If you have to ask...

3 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Why do you thing everyone wears a backpack?

11 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Thanks for the pictures guys!  I missed almost all the art this year since I'm so busy at the show, and this has unfortunately become the norm for me.  Hey Gene (or anyone else), what was the price for BWS Conan saga #1 cover?  What a great piece of art.  I think I like that period of BWS better than much of his early Conan stuff (pre Conan 19), and the larger size and brilliant color work makes it no contest (for me).

I had one pickup at the show, the ROLEX GMT "The Batman" and even though it's not art in the strictest sense, Rolex collectors consider these timepieces as works of art, and this one is the Rolex Batman, so I'm still somewhat on topic.  Jim Lee blew my mind and put me into a state of shock by presenting it to me at his Spotlight panel in recognition of the 30 years of friendship and collaboration we've shared (we met in 1987).  I'm still buzzing about it days later.  Anyone who knows Jim knows this is who he is and what he does and I am forever grateful  that we crossed paths all those years ago.

Scott

IMG_2024.JPG

Pretty awesome story Scott!  I too really enjoyed watching the video of the panel.  Well deserved!

3 hours ago, vodou said:

If you have to ask...

Yeah I don't get how you buy anything without alerting the authorities. Carry that much cash and you risk seizure, transfers of that amount must alert someone looking for their cut.

9 hours ago, cstojano said:

Yeah I don't get how you buy anything without alerting the authorities. Carry that much cash and you risk seizure, transfers of that amount must alert someone looking for their cut.

Hardly anyone takes checks anymore, I guess it's credit cards and the seller crosses his fingers that it's legit when the buyer walks away

Edited by Kevin76

10 hours ago, pinupcartooncollector said:

Why do you thing everyone wears a backpack?

Oh right, I thought they wore it to hit other customers when they turn around and to make it so you can't get around them...my bad.  

24 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

Hardly anyone takes checks anymore, I guess it's credit cards and the seller crosses his fingers that it's legit when the buyer walks away

Wire transfer would be my guess....its safer for both parties....

1 hour ago, Dwitkin82 said:

Wire transfer would be my guess....its safer for both parties....

Agreed, any really big transactions are wire transfers usually. Otherwise the sell is hit with big cc transaction fees, plus the risk the seller calls their credit card company later and protests the charge.

1 hour ago, Kevin76 said:

I can't tell you how many checks I received over the week from buyers.

17 minutes ago, artdealer said:

I can't tell you how many checks I received over the week from buyers.

checks can be safe if you've known the person awhile, but then again, anyone can write a check for any amount and walk away with their purchase. 

38 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

checks can be safe if you've known the person awhile, but then again, anyone can write a check for any amount and walk away with their purchase. 

"Check must clear before art is shipped."

Edited by pemart1966

24 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

I'd also ask for their drivers license.....writing a bad check is a Federal crime so the more info the better....

16 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Off to buy comic art at the SDCC! 

5978bfbcd70f9_OffToBuyComicArt.thumb.jpg.e7530ad4241d780e9fb61d549f628566.jpg

People were definitely spending money at this show.  I was surprised to sell a pretty high ticket Hush dps, as I don't usually sell expensive material like this and fully expected it to go  back home with it.  Sold a couple of covers, interior pages, and lots of remarks as well, so art sales in my small world were strong.  Anybody get a sense from the big art dealers if money was flowing or not?

Scott

5 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

It's not me...I just pulled it off the "Rich OA Collectors of Instagram" feed. :p 

That said, I have heard of guys actually bringing 6-figures of green to shows (in the past, anyway). :whatthe: 

I bring some cash to shows, but, for larger purchases, I either write checks or arrange to make payment after the show is over. 

Edited by delekkerste

47 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

That said, I have heard of guys actually bringing 6-figures of green to shows (in the past, anyway). :whatthe: 

I bring some cash to shows, but, for larger purchases, I either write checks or arrange to make payment after the show is over. 

On big ticket items, do you put down a deposit, and execute a sales contract?