• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

heat press machine

85 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:
16 hours ago, Logan510 said:

Hope we get to see you at Mighty Con in November :)

Actually, the Mighty Con is a pretty go

:gossip:

Count I Con is next weekend...........

20 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Literally had a dream two nights ago that someone was pressing books using an iron.  I think I've been hanging around the boards too much if comic pressing is making its way into my dreams.

Nah. As long as you aren't in the comic, you are fine.

Hah, reading this old thread. At $180 for the press, I'd need to have some good books to press and I would be scared to death pressing them. Looking at the nyx 3 I found in my hoard, it could probably be helped by an expert press, but no way from me!!! I have a lot of cheap books that would look better with a press, but I dunno if the $180 investment is worth it to turn $1 box books into $2 or $3 box books. I'd have to do a lot of those. I guess if I was a dealer processing lots of inventory it would pay for itself soon enough even if I limited myself to the lower end stuff.

Edited by the blob

On 10/13/2017 at 4:52 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

LOL. Maybe, but I didn't know them. I went to that small show up in Kenosha last Sunday. If it wasn't for John Hauser, I would have probably left empty handed. Even the small dealers are jacking up their prices. I saw normal, non variant books priced for 10 bucks that just came out that week. I saw uber low graded Silver priced at Fine prices.  As mentioned, I saw poorly pressed Fine books asking VF prices.  It was a scary sight. 

that show was terrible except for the dollar and quarter boxes.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 4:18 PM, ExNihilo said:

Literally had a dream two nights ago that someone was pressing books using an iron.  I think I've been hanging around the boards too much if comic pressing is making its way into my dreams.

An iron is fine if you know what you're doing and a press is needed to be isolated to a small area. In many cases, the iron is a better choice. It allows the type of control that can't be exercised over a larger area.

T shirt presses work great.  I bought one off amazon for $125.00. Just make sure to feel the heat plate for imperfections.  There may be small bumps that can easily be sanded smooth.  Use 1000 and then 2000 grit sand paper with a sanding block.  

Its just heat and pressure, not to hard to figure out with some $1 bin books to practice on.  People act like its some secret art that requires years of practice.  Build a humidity chamber for $20 and you will get out a lot more flaws.

25 minutes ago, BrntWS6 said:

Its just heat and pressure, not to hard to figure out with some $1 bin books to practice on.  People act like its some secret art that requires years of practice.  Build a humidity chamber for $20 and you will get out a lot more flaws.

But you have to adjust your t-shirt press for different thicknesses of comics from GA to squarebound SA, BA to moderns, and adjust for subscription creases, etc.

6 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

But you have to adjust your t-shirt press for different thicknesses of comics from GA to squarebound SA, BA to moderns, and adjust for subscription creases, etc.

That's true but the adjustment is not much at all.  You get a feel for it real quick.  90% of what i have i leave at 1 setting unless i press an annual or something.  You don't need much pressure at all really.   Not sure what you mean by adjusting for subscription creases, i always press the entire book

Only problem i have run into is on new books, particularly with black covers the staple will press through and leave a mark on the cover.   Have not figured out a good fix for that yet.

On 7/20/2017 at 11:28 AM, Pontoon said:

And another is added to the pantheon:

"Get into my comfort zone!"

"The fat drips right off!"

"I'm not gonna pay a lot for this muffler!"

"Punch out those flaws!"

Foreman.jpg

:golfclap:

I have gotten away from the iron as multiple presses seem to work just as well. But on low heat it works for spine ticks and getting wrinkles out of the spine edge.  Just use a sheet of teflon over it.   Dont let it get too hot or the teflon pattern will print on the book.

Ive got about 1000 of my own books to press, no way i am paying someone all that.

4 hours ago, BrntWS6 said:

I have gotten away from the iron as multiple presses seem to work just as well. But on low heat it works for spine ticks and getting wrinkles out of the spine edge.  Just use a sheet of teflon over it.   Dont let it get too hot or the teflon pattern will print on the book.

Ive got about 1000 of my own books to press, no way i am paying someone all that.

Exposure to heated Teflon is known to have toxic health effects. I think this is a terrible suggestion.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Exposure to heated Teflon is known to have toxic health effects. I think this is a terrible suggestion.

A PTFE teflon sheet, which is what is used as the transfer, is the same stuff people use to cook their scrambled eggs on every morning.  It does not degrade below 662* F.  Do you really think comics are heated up that high?

You guys are funny.  This stuff is not that hard guys but by all means, keep paying people your hard earned money for a job my 9 year old can do.

Edited by BrntWS6

11 hours ago, BrntWS6 said:

You guys are funny.  This stuff is not that hard guys but by all means, keep paying people your hard earned money for a job my 9 year old can do.

I believe you are wrong, to do the job correctly you need more skills than you or your 9 year old obviously have. I hope you are pressing for your own collection and do not put this stuff into the marketplace.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I believe you are wrong, to do the job correctly you need more skills than you or your 9 year old obviously have. I hope you are pressing for your own collection and do not put this stuff into the marketplace.

Everyone has to start somewhere. I imagine the guys starting today are not much different than the guys who started three or five years ago.  Some will be hacks and some will manage to get it right.

1 minute ago, shadroch said:

Everyone has to start somewhere. I imagine the guys starting today are not much different than the guys who started three or five years ago.  Some will be hacks and some will manage to get it right.

I understand but the problem for me is they put their 'experiments' into the marketplace with no disclosure. If I need electrical work on my house, I call a licensed electrician. I don't call somebody that is just learning. In this guy's particular case, saying it's so easy his 9 year can do it, is just wrong. This is the same guy that was recently asking how to value his comics and now he is so good at pressing he is giving us advice.