• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

heat press machine

85 posts in this topic

The hotter and the pressier, the better.  I like the Waffle-O 9000, the Pebblemaster ESX and my favorite is the George Foreman Pancake Machine - "Punch out those flaws!!!"

2 hours ago, seanfingh said:

The hotter and the pressier, the better.  I like the Waffle-O 9000, the Pebblemaster ESX and my favorite is the George Foreman Pancake Machine - "Punch out those flaws!!!"

And another is added to the pantheon:

"Get into my comfort zone!"

"The fat drips right off!"

"I'm not gonna pay a lot for this muffler!"

"Punch out those flaws!"

Foreman.jpg

I have a Ademco 21" x 25" press. It worked very well when I could use it, currently does not power up, not sure why.

Pro:

The size of it is a feature I like, can press larger books, multiple books.

The wheel is another feature, can vary the amount of pressure easily.

Con:

Monstrously heavy

20170516_200708.jpg

**not sure why the picture is rotated. I can't seem to fix it either.

Edited by Artboy99

1 hour ago, serling1978 said:

If you know what you're doing I think you can get good results even from a less high end press.  I've got an old Standard 150 dry laminating press that I bought years ago on the cheap and it's worked out really well for me.

I've used a Seal Junior on a couple of books and have been satisfied with the results. Initially picked it up just to see what I can learn from the process and have to say it's been a very educational experience.

1 hour ago, serling1978 said:

If you know what you're doing I think you can get good results even from a less high end press. 

How does one ascertain that he knows what he is doing with a press?  And how do you define 'good results' ? This thread scares me. Most of you seem to think the most difficult part of pressing is buying the right machine and locating the ON button. IMO, 'good results' are obtained if you cannot tell the book was pressed. I'm seeing so much product out there that looks obviously pressed, squished spines, unusually flat surface, etc. A dealer at a small local con had a small collection of Silver that he obviously pressed. The books were very dirty and he pressed all the dirt into the books. They looked terrible but he thought he did a marvelous job. Scary. Continue on.

9 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

How does one ascertain that he knows what he is doing with a press?  And how do you define 'good results' ? This thread scares me. Most of you seem to think the most difficult part of pressing is buying the right machine and locating the ON button. IMO, 'good results' are obtained if you cannot tell the book was pressed. I'm seeing so much product out there that looks obviously pressed, squished spines, unusually flat surface, etc. A dealer at a small local con had a small collection of Silver that he obviously pressed. The books were very dirty and he pressed all the dirt into the books. They looked terrible but he thought he did a marvelous job. Scary. Continue on.

I agree that pressing isn't black and white and it goes way beyond the ON button.  I've had good results as in gotten out spine rolls, removed trace lines, taken out creases of course, flattened waviness, etc.  But at the same time I do this for myself.  I don't try to offer my services to others or try to make money off of it.  There are many small tips that I've learned over time that make a big difference.  So yes, if you just go out and buy a press today and slap a book in it and turn it on then first and foremost there's a good chance you'll ruin the book, and beyond that there's an even better chance you won't see any real results.  Pressing is definitely an art, but I think anyone can do it with the right knowledge.  I've seen a lot of cases where people who press and charge for it are extremely guarded about ever giving even the slightest tip.  I don't claim to be a pro, but I've always been willing to provide the info I have if it might help a fellow collector/presser.

4 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

@Bomber-Bob

Anyone I might know? hm

8 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

@Bomber-Bob

Anyone I might know? hm

LOL. Maybe, but I didn't know them. I went to that small show up in Kenosha last Sunday. If it wasn't for John Hauser, I would have probably left empty handed. Even the small dealers are jacking up their prices. I saw normal, non variant books priced for 10 bucks that just came out that week. I saw uber low graded Silver priced at Fine prices.  As mentioned, I saw poorly pressed Fine books asking VF prices.  It was a scary sight. 

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

LOL. Maybe, but I didn't know them. I went to that small show up in Kenosha last Sunday. If it wasn't for John Hauser, I would have probably left empty handed. Even the small dealers are jacking up their prices. I saw normal, non variant books priced for 10 bucks that just came out that week. I saw uber low graded Silver priced at Fine prices.  As mentioned, I saw poorly pressed Fine books asking VF prices.  It was a scary sight. 

Hope we get to see you at Mighty Con in November :)