• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017 Edmonton Expo - September 22nd - 24th
2 2

48 posts in this topic

Home from the show.  Tired, really tired.   Kimik, 500club, artboy99 and myself have setup at shows together for the last 10 years.

Sales were pretty good considering the economy.

Our 50 % off section was great.  Another dealer came over and bought about 400 books and we had steady sales out of it for 3 days.  Out of 9 longs I think we sold close to 4.

$1 books did well as most dealers have started bringing $2 sections.  I can't see much difference between our $1 books and other dealer's $2 sections.  The question is am I better off selling a lot of books for $1 or less books for $2.

Sets didn't sell great but over 3 days they did add up.  I'm wondering if the continued shift to digital reading is really hurting our sales.  I accidentally brought a box of sets that I'd given up on and were destined to be broke down for $1 books.  Strangely enough they sold great.  You just never know what will sell.

Wall books?  Captain America 14, FF 48, FF 8, Marvel Feature 1 X 2, pile of modern keys priced between $50 and $250, few other books I can't recall.  The poor economy has made it pretty tough to sell expensive books.  

Purchased an Iron Man 1, FF52, Human Torch 29, Batman Adventure 12.  Also bought a group lot of Spider-man 300, Spider-man 252 cnd variant X 3 and Killing Joke first print then flipped the 300 30 seconds later to a Saskatchewan boardie for a profit on the entire deal and then traded 2 of the 252s to another Saskatchewan boardie for a short of SA and BA and sold the 3rd 252 a few minutes later.  It was a perfect deal.

Was walking by a booth when I heard the seller say he was selling long boxes for $100 each.  I took a look and spotted a pile of Venom books and started a pile.  500club walked by and joined me.  We bought 6 longs.  It was a lot to carry so the seller sent his friend back to our booth to grab our cart.  My partner artboy must have tossed a gear when he was asked for a cart to haul back our purchase lol .  I'm always buying and dragging stuff back while my partner wants to actually take some cash home lol .  Meanwhile we're talking and I'm scanning his wall.   I ask about Infinity Gauntlet 1 and the seller mentions he bought a collection with boxes of them.  My ears hear opportunity and we end up buying 8 Infinity Gauntlet 1 and a couple other hot books for a good price and we have a date to go to the guy's house and dig through the 900 boxes in his basement.

Inanimateobject, Beaumonts, and Skinnywhiteboy drove down from Saskatchewan - next province over  and FantasticThor up from Calgary,   Piper from across town.  Had a lot of fun hanging out, swinging deals, telling stories, drinking beer and going out for dinner.  

Was offered 3 collections.  One was low grade and no demand.  One was lots of SA keys in very low grade.  Want it but based on the sample his 4.0 is a 2.0.  Last collection was full of unusual stuff, lots of programs from comics shows in the 1970s, fanzines, mags, prints, a lot of stuff that I'll have to spend some time researching but really interesting - I love stuff I never get to see.

Steranko was apparently  a wonderful guest.  He was very friendly, spent a lot of time with people waiting to see him, constantly told stories about working in the industry and his panels were apparently interesting and entertaining.  Perhaps Piper will chime in with some of the stories he heard.  @piper

Good show and good time.

Edited by thehumantorch

The show ended up okay overall. If one regular had picked up the book he asked me to set aside for next month at the show I would have come close to hitting last year's total. 

My $2 boxes were raided by other dealers on Saturday and Sunday morning, which was great. I have accumulated way too much stuff over the past few years, including Harley Quinn and Deadpool, from speculating on moderns and in collection purchases that needs to go. The Star Wars common AF variants were dead, though, which is interesting as I thought they would be scooped up in the $2 boxes with a movie coming up. I guess those are $1 bin fodder now?

Sales on big books were definitely down this year compared to last year for me. Granted, I did not bring too many to the show - I was focusing on blowing out the newer cheap stuff that takes up more space. lol  My biggest single sales were three books at $500 apiece. That was it. The rest were sales in the $100 - $300 per book range.

The past two shows I have seen a huge uptick in demand for Adam Hughes covers. I am out of everything bigger now (e.g. JSA Classified 1, WW 184, Catwoman 51/70/74), as well as all of the Zatanna multiples I had. Two weeks ago at the Red&White show I had a huge frenzy and it carried over to this one as well. I am curious to see if this trend continues or whether it is just a 6 - 12 month speculative bubble.

I think the most entertainment this show was watching thehumantorch absolutely lowball a seller on his ASM 252s (3 CDN newsstand variants)/high grade ASM 300/Batman Killing Joke (1st print) and then have the guy accept it. I am still shaking my head that he would not have shopped around further for a much better offer. That being said, I think the ASM 300 the Sask boardie snagged has a shot at a CGC 9.6 so he was likley the big winner in the end - if it hits that he will be close to 3x on the price he paid for it. 

My only purchase of the show was a 2.5/3.0 ASM #129 from a regular buyer. It was his undercopy and I normally would have passed, but I am curious to test it out to see how the main damage (someone put a sheet of paper over it in the past and traced the cover  so there are pencil indents all over the place) will press out as a future reference. There is a nasty store stamp and felt pen "10" at the top of the front cover as well so it likely will not grade any higher.