• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Encapsulation distort question

3 posts in this topic

Hi ya'll i wanted to run this by you. I just received the first comic i ever had graded, a Darth Vader 2017 vol 2 # 1 Brooks variant. I love the art work and the high grade but there seems to be something wrong. When looking at the comic from various angles a rainbow air pocket appears all over Darth Vader's chest and upper corner of the comic book. Have any of you ever come across this? Is this an Encapsulation flaw? Is it common? Can i send it back to and have them encapsulation the comic again? Any thoughts on the matter would be great! Thanks!

Distortion 1).jpg

Distortion 2.jpg

Just now, comicquant said:

They call them Newton Rings.  Very common.  Probably on most slabs.  They don't bother me a bit.  They don't hurt the book at all either.

Ah I see. Thank you so much for giving it a name! I didn't even know where to begin a google search. After searching the Newton Rings, I guess it just happens with GCG's new case sometimes with light going through two types of plastics. Again much thanks!