• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thor #244 - caption error?

16 posts in this topic

Just found this in a batch of thor comics I just purchased from original owner who has subscribed to these straight from Marvel. Looks like the bubble vector was left empty and was marked with a brown sharpie.

Whats interesting is that I dont know if it was done after printing, since the inside front cover seems like it doesnt have any bleed through from any markings from the front cover

So

Ever seen anything like this?

image1 (1).jpeg

image2.jpeg

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

If you look very closely at the upper left-hand portion of the blotted out word balloon, you can still make out the first word of the dialogue ("IF"...).

Not sure how it was defaced, but it does look like the original text was there at some point...

Edited by jools&jim

1 hour ago, jools&jim said:

Here's what I saw, but maybe it's just a coincidence of the color streaking... (shrug)

image2.jpeg.aa83a00abc0b7fba59e3d3a954a7999e.jpg

With that close up view, I can clearly read it now!  "John is dead!"

1 hour ago, jools&jim said:

Btw...did you ask the original owner?

Yes he was as clueless as me. All the rest of the books (60+) were spotless. No marking, no cut-outs. In fact, some of the had their original subscription folders still which was kinda neat.

I figured I'd post this just in case someone else saw something similar with that book

Well I did a test on one of my books acetone has no effect.  I know some solvents like methylene chloride will dissolve pretty much any organic compound.