• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lowest print run years on modern books?

7 posts in this topic

Hi to All,  this is my first post in about 12 years.   Just wondering your expertise and opinions.  Used to have a store from 1988 to 1996 but got  out when they went wild printing books  From the years of 1996 to 2015 I assume in the years that followed , there must have been a few years from 1996 to the 2010 or so where the printings went real low or took a dip.  Was just wondering what years you feel that they really pulled back on printing?  Was it from 1996 to 2000?  Or later?  There must have been a time of less printing followed by a time of more printing in the general market as the buying pendulum swings both ways?  Or, have printings just continued to go lower each year up until current day?  

I used to go under my ID which at the time was NoImSpartacus.  I don't think it exists anymore.   

Just got back into collecting and having a great time. Wow, the covers have sure changed.  It seems I have just awoke from a 24 year old time capsule and Wow, everything is a Variant!    Thanks for any imput, Jeff  

Your old ID still exists, you can link to it by clicking here.
Arch has a thread for ID recovery in the account merge sub-forum here.   You can just post in there and a mod will help out or ban on the spot for creating a shill account, it's a coin toss really. :smirk:

I'd say the low points are '97-2000 and then 2008-2011 and then last year & this year for Marvel at least.

Edited by bababooey

13 hours ago, Paleontol said:

Hi to All,  this is my first post in about 12 years.   Just wondering your expertise and opinions.  Used to have a store from 1988 to 1996 but got  out when they went wild printing books  From the years of 1996 to 2015 I assume in the years that followed , there must have been a few years from 1996 to the 2010 or so where the printings went real low or took a dip.  Was just wondering what years you feel that they really pulled back on printing?  Was it from 1996 to 2000?  Or later?  There must have been a time of less printing followed by a time of more printing in the general market as the buying pendulum swings both ways?  Or, have printings just continued to go lower each year up until current day?  

I used to go under my ID which at the time was NoImSpartacus.  I don't think it exists anymore.   

Just got back into collecting and having a great time. Wow, the covers have sure changed.  It seems I have just awoke from a 24 year old time capsule and Wow, everything is a Variant!    Thanks for any imput, Jeff  

Welcome back.

The go to resource for finding printing estimates based on orders is Comichron.com 

On 2017-07-20 at 7:42 PM, Paleontol said:

Used to have a store from 1988 to 1996 but got  out when they went wild printing books

So you got out but still kept your store for a few more years? (1993 was the industry peak)

On 2017-07-21 at 9:16 AM, Couchy81 said:

The go to resource for finding printing estimates based on orders is Comichron.com 

Yes, Comichron is a great resource for industry analysis.

The following two links should answer the question: Graphs and yearly sales.

Looking at those charts was an eye opener. One of my favorite periods of stories was the late '90s through the 2005 or so range. JLA, JSA, The Authority, Planetary, Hitman, Punisher, Ultimate Spider-man, Rising Stars, Preacher, and lots of little hits like Astro  City, Classwar, Y the Last Man, LoXG,..and it was just absolutely loaded. I have lots of books but most of the series I intend to keep forever are from this time period. Ironic.