• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DOCTOR DOOM produced by Noah Hawley (TBD)
3 3

57 posts in this topic

Noah Hawley Offers Update on 'Doctor Doom' Movie Following the Disney/Fox Deal

Fantastic Four beware: Doctor Doom is still moving forward at Fox, at least for now.

At San Diego Comic Con this past July, 21st Century Fox revealed that Noah Hawley, creator of Fargo and Legion on FX, was set to helm a Doctor Doom solo film. This decision was met with a surprising amount of praise, but fans began to worry about its future after Disney reached an agreement to buy Fox, thus taking the rights to all of its Marvel characters.

Fortunately, it seems as though things are still full-steam ahead for the Doctor Doom film. While speaking to Collider at the FX TCA presentation this week, Hawley revealed that the Disney sale has yet to change anything about Doctor Doom's production.

“I haven’t had a single conversation yet about Doom in the context of the merger," Hawley said. "On some level, we’re still looking at a period of time – probably a year, at the least – for this whole thing to go through. Who knows, corporately, what conversations will be had, but certainly, until it goes through, it’s not a legal thing. I don’t know. I’ve been waiting for the phone to ring to see if anyone is gonna have an opinion. Otherwise, it’s just business as usual for me.”

Obviously, as Hawley states, the future of this movie could change when/if the sale to Disney goes through. With all of the legal work that needs to be done, it could still take more than a year for the sale to become official.

These days, a damning phrase tends to shadow Hollywood’s superhero series. The prolific success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe has made many question whether audiences are getting superhero fatigue, but the box office doesn’t back the claim up. Black Panther has racked up more than $1 billion since its February debut, and other Marvel characters hopes their solo outings can do the same.

So, when Doctor Doom gets his own standalone, Noah Hawley says he will spice the villain-centric movie up.

Recently, the director sat down with Observer to talk about his tenure with Marvel. The man is the brainchild behind Legion, Fox’s trippy live-action X-Men series. Last year, Hawley told fans he was also working on a feature starring Doctor Doom, and the man revealed how the film will feature a mix of genres.

“As with Legion, my thought was that the [superhero] genre has a certain kind of movie covered, but what else can the genre do,” Hawley explained. “What’s interesting to me about Doom’s character is he’s the king of an Eastern European country and is there a version of this that is more of a political thriller that mixes genre?”

Instead of all-out action and Transformer-esque explosions, Doctor Doom will delight in its quiet thrills. Hawley says the MCU nailed that kind of tone when Captain America: Civil War debuted, and the creator said he wants his X-Men standalone to feature mixed genres as well.

“It’s something that [Captain America] Winter Soldier did really well, which was kind of make a Cold War thriller movie out of a superhero movie. This is different than that, but it does have this idea of, and I don’t want to say too much about it, but it is a mixture of genres,” Hawley said.

Legion and Fargo writer Noah Hawley’s Doctor Doom -script is mostly finished but there’s a “sense of uncertainty” around the project, Hawley told Vulture.

“I wrote a -script that I really like and the studio really likes,” Hawley said of 20th Century Fox, adding “it needs a little work.”

Hawley next directs Jon Hamm and Natalie Portman in sci-fi drama Pale Blue Dot for Fox Searchlight Pictures, which forces him to put a pin in making revisions to Doctor Doom.

“It’s hard for me, at this exact moment — because I start shooting another movie in five weeks — to do that work,” Hawley said. “So, I mean, my hope is to go back to [Doctor Doom] after [Pale Blue Dot].”

Hawley also points to the looming Disney-Fox deal as a potential road block.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

14 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Please elaborate on your disappointment. That it's delayed? Might be good to fence Fox off the project until Disney gets its hands on it...then again, a darker Doom solo flick would be awesome, and Fox has the latitude to go darker. Mixed feelings here...

2 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Please elaborate on your disappointment. That it's delayed? Might be good to fence Fox off the project until Disney gets its hands on it...then again, a darker Doom solo flick would be awesome, and Fox has the latitude to go darker. Mixed feelings here...

Noah Hawley has been doing fantastic work on the Fargo and Legion shows. So to have someone of this caliber working on a Doctor Doom film because he really appreciates the character would be a shame if this gets lost in acquisition hell.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Noah Hawley has been doing fantastic work on the Fargo and Legion shows. So to have someone of this caliber working on a Doctor Doom film because he really appreciates the character would be a shame if this gets lost in acquisition hell.

Thanks for the clarification :bigsmile:

16 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Folks should be rejoicing. They’re officially coming back home...

Gambit? Definitely. The same for Multiple Man and Kitty Pryde.

Doctor Doom, not so much. I had faith in Noah Hawley. But who knows. Feige may be a fan due to the success of the FX Legion TV show. Especially since he has been a bridge between Fox and Marvel on that project as the screenwriter and producer.

In recent years, Fargo and Legion creator Noah Hawley has been working on a film focusing on Doctor Doom, leading audiences to wonder about the project's fate with the character now absorbed into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Unfortunately, fans will be disappointed to learn that this iteration of the project is "done."

"I mean, where it stands is now that the movie is done and Legion is done and I’ve taken a little time off because someone told me there was this word 'vacation,' which means you don’t work, which sounded really interesting to me," Hawley shared with Deadline when asked about the status of the project. "But you know, I need to circle back to them and announce that I would love to make it and figure out if that’s something that is possible. Whether or not they already have a plan in place for what to do with those characters or whether they’re open to my kind of vision for what to do with those characters. But it’s sort of on me right now to go push them, which I will do as soon as I come up for air."

So it sounds like Marvel Studios wants to do something different than the previous Fantastic Four movies. And that means that Doom may not be the villain in their first movie.

At the same time they realize how important Doctor Doom is to the overall Marvel Universe. He’s easily in the top three Marvel villains. Which means they do want him to have a very big role in the future of the MCU. They’re apparently talking about a lot of different options, and one idea that’s been floated is giving Doom a limited series on Disney+ before clashing with the Fantastic Four in a future big-screen sequel.

It now appears that Marvel is working on a mystery project involving Doctor Doom. Radio host Stern appears to have accidentally revealed the project and his involvement during a recent episode of the Howard Stern Show. After a recent episode, the mics were left on as advertisements played, which allowed listeners to hear a conversation they otherwise were not supposed to. Howard Stern indicates he will play Doctor Doom in an unknown Marvel project. His schedule is still being worked out, but the radio host mentions he's even reached out to Robert Downey Jr. about acting techniques. Listen to the clip captured by WashedUpTweeter on Twitter below:

"They're going over the schedule with me, and it's going to suck... I told you, I'm going to do Doctor Doom. That's the thing. But believe me, I'm :censored: miserable about it... I called Robert Downey Jr. and I was asking him acting techniques... Do you have a number for Jon [Favreau]?"