• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rolling Stones article: SDCC origin story

13 posts in this topic

I'm one of those "old guys"  Not necessarily grumpy, but all I can say is you young whippersnappers really missed out. I got to meet virtually every GA and SA artist at SDCC. I got them to sign and sketch and had conversations with them without lines, witnesses, fees or plastic cases. It was a different but wonderful time to be a comic collector.

The description of the Seuling New York shows is spot on.  Just comic dealers, comic creators, and comic readers/collectors.  The creators were amazed at the level of interest in their work, and signed books handed to them for free after soaking in the fan accolades.  Even Stan and Jack were easy to approach to talk to.  And the musty smell of all those old comics in one large room was heady stuff.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 4:00 AM, DavidTheDavid said:

5 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Both great articles.  I had no idea Shel Dorf was like that.  I never knew the guy, but he was the name that I associated SDCC with for years, and I always thought of him with comic book reverence