• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Sent the Wrong Box
1 1

88 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Be it $5 dollars or $100,000, always be honest and do the right thing.  (thumbsu

I completely agree, it is always good to do what is morally right.

That being said, for conversation sake, what if he would have just decided to keep them? What are the legalities of that?  We have all heard that if a company sends you items, addressed to you, that you didn't order in general you can keep them.  Likewise if mail addressed to someone else is wrongly delivered to your door you can not keep them.

In this case it was addressed to him but quickly determined who the real owner is. Legal requirement to return? I have no idea. @jaybuck43 thoughts?

22 minutes ago, Patriot6 said:

Are you saying that one might lose a few grades for white staining ?

I didn't sex the slabs or query the slabs on their sexual preferences.

43 minutes ago, CAHokie said:

I completely agree, it is always good to do what is morally right.

That being said, for conversation sake, what if he would have just decided to keep them? What are the legalities of that?  We have all heard that if a company sends you items, addressed to you, that you didn't order in general you can keep them.  Likewise if mail addressed to someone else is wrongly delivered to your door you can not keep them.

In this case it was addressed to him but quickly determined who the real owner is. Legal requirement to return? I have no idea. @jaybuck43 thoughts?

Let me throw out the usual disclaimers on this.  1) While I am an attorney, the below advice does not constitute legal advice and no legal relationship is formed by the below information.  If you or someone you know has an issue, please consult a local attorney.  2) I do not know what state this occurred in, and in general it will vary by state, so this is not 100% sure.

Now, legally speaking, the addressee probably needed to return the goods.  It will depend on whether or not it is classified as an "unsolicited good".  If I don't have an order out with CGC, and all the sudden get a box from them, it's probably going to be qualified as an unsolicited good.  However, based on the description that the OP posted,   it sounds like he had an order in with CGC, as did the owner of the 3 AF 15s and someone mixed the boxes up, put the wrong shipping label on the boxes etc and sent them out.  In that situation, the goods were solicited, but the item shipped was a mistake.  In that case, the company (i.e. CGC) has the legal right to recover the goods, and, this creates a little bit of concern,  the recipient has a legal duty to keep the goods safe (which, who cares on a $100 book, but on almost $100,000 worth of books yeesh).  

I should add, the legal right to keep the goods safe varies from state to state, and many states indemnify the recipient for situations exactly like this.  

Edited by jaybuck43

That sounds about right.  I think the honest shipping mistake is the key along with it not being unsolicited.  It took place in Florida, and this is on the AG's page. It talks about this exact thing but it still doesn't say shall or required so still somewhat vague.  That's why doing the right thing is usually the smart move. Why chance it.

http://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/main/cc08c6e2fa43fdf285256cc90060ae57!OpenDocument

Edited by CAHokie

4 minutes ago, KryptoMayor said:

It sure would be nice to hear that CGC offers your friend a few free submissions for his honesty and hassle-free return. :baiting:

lol few free submissions?  I'd be offering Stock Options lol

21 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

I'm sure anyone on the fence about sending CGC a big mess o' high dollar books is having a moment of pause right now!

On over 80k yeah.

I never understood why someone wouldn't just go in person when that much money is on the line.

I get that its an inconvenience but hell, taking a day or two and paying for a flight out to Sarasota sounds like a much better idea then waiting for a package to show up, or not in this situation.

This is my worst nightmare come true  :whatthe:

40 minutes ago, grayzr said:

On over 80k yeah.

I never understood why someone wouldn't just go in person when that much money is on the line.

I get that its an inconvenience but hell, taking a day or two and paying for a flight out to Sarasota sounds like a much better idea then waiting for a package to show up, or not in this situation.

This is my worst nightmare come true  :whatthe:

Most likely people that 80k isn't a lot of money would be my guess.  Maybe a big comic book company, or lonely rich guy :)

15 minutes ago, Red84 said:

Imagine a scenario where the postal carrier left the package without signature and the person just claimed they never received it. This could have been a very costly error. Luckily it worked out. 

Happens far too frequently.

I imagine when it would be reported lost, by the original owner of the AF 15's, that CGC would have kept track of his/her info and serial number of the cases. They might have then reported them stolen?

I don't think to keep the books for whatever reason would be feasable; I don't think that the AF 15's could have been easily sold if kept; if not reported stolen, I think that word would have got out, hopefully :) 

Yeah, the guy did the right thing, and though you don't do the right thing in order to be rewarded, CGC definitely needs to come correct and hook this guy up. Could have been a VERY messy situation for them.

I do think that the company should reward the finder after all he has to take the responsibility to ship them back and in my opinion sweat blood until they arrive. Also if it were my books I would seek compensation for the stress what is the old saying fool me once?  I wonder if they are a member as it would be interesting hearing their side of the story.