• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Joe Sinnott is the man!

8 posts in this topic

I've always been a fan of Joe Sinnott.  I don't recall any Conventions in recent memory that I have ever been able to get to, in which he has made an appearance.   I recently jumped on his web site, and saw for a small fee, he will sign what you send him (also making sure you supply return postage).   Well I sent off a rather bulky 12 x 18 NOVA #1 print, I wasn't even sure it would arrive to and from in one piece.   Well lo-and behold in less than 10 days from my sending it out-  BAM!   Joe is so cool.  He even read my request to 'please sign in Silver if you can'.  Thx Joe!   

IMG_3310.JPG

IMG_3312.JPG

Joe must be 90 by now.  I went to school with one of his nephews who wasn't the least bit impressed with his Uncles profession.  I picked him up one day after Spring Break and we passed" Uncle Joes" house getting back to the highway but he wouldn't stop. 

He lived about a block away  from the house he grew up in, in a pretty small town about an hour from NYC.

2 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Joe must be 90 by now.  I went to school with one of his nephews who wasn't the least bit impressed with his Uncles profession.  I picked him up one day after Spring Break and we passed" Uncle Joes" house getting back to the highway but he wouldn't stop. 

He lived about a block away  from the house he grew up in, in a pretty small town about an hour from NYC.

Pffft....kids.   He is doing 3 shows this year (2 in New York and 1 in Rhode Island).   He will be 91 in October.  Good for him!  

Joe is one of the nicest human beings ever, period. I haven't seen him in a while, which is my fault for being a busy sandwich generation person, but I give him a quick call now and again. I interviewed him a couple times more years ago than I care to remember (as a newspaper reporter -- my first career, and for CBM) and he has treated me as a friend ever since. He was really appreciative of the career retrospective (thanks Pat Calhoun!)

One place you can usually catch Joe is the Albany, NY Comic Con. He lives barely an hour south of Albany, so it's his home team show. 

A couple fun facts: he illustrated Dell's Life of the Beatles one-shot, and it is the work he is most proud of. (If any of you Overstreet advisers can get that in there, it's his fond wish). He is a huge Bing Crosby fan and hosted for years a weekly Bing show on local radio. For all his exceptional teamwork with Jack Kirby, they only met in person three times! Joe told me the only thing he ever fixed in Kirby's work was ears. He said ears were the one thing Kirby could not draw.

When we did the CBM retrospective, in the late 90's, Stan Lee was in California, beginning Marvel's first movie negotiation efforts. (Remember when Marvel movies were rumors of possibility for the longest time?) Given Lee's focus on the project, I recall everyone doubting that I would ever get him on the phone, including his receptionist in California when she answered the phone. I asked her nicely to let him know that it would be for a career retrospective on Joe Sinnott, and she came back on sounding shocked that he agreed. 

I thanked Stan profusely when we got on the phone, and he cheerily said that when he heard it was for Joe, there was no way he would be kept from making time for it. Joe was just too important to him and to Marvel.

I was lucky and got to meet Joe and some family members a few years ago in Boston. As already stated, he's a wonderful, super nice guy.

Here's a recent article in the NY Times on Joe:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/02/nyregion/spider-man-and-his-inker-wrists-still-going-strong-a-half-century-later.html

I'd also recommend this book published by TwoMorrows for those interested in Joe:

http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=544: