• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buy Superhero comics from the 50's?

8 posts in this topic

Hi all, just wondering if it would be wise to buy superhero comics from the 50's in almost any condition? 

Would there be a heap of comics from the 50's "out there" either in the wild or in collections? 

I intend to store them for many years for my young son and when he's my age he can open up a box and hopefully have a bit of fun doing what he likes with them. 

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

1 minute ago, Wolverine3 said:

Hi all, just wondering if it would be wise to buy superhero comics from the 50's in almost any condition? 

Would there be a heap of comics from the 50's "out there" either in the wild or in collections? 

I intend to store them for many years for my young son and when he's my age he can open up a box and hopefully have a bit of fun doing what he likes with them. 

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

I meant to add in from the 60's aswell.

If well stored, they probably won't go down in value but there's a lot of ways they can. Water, fire, mice, humidity, warmth,nuclear holocaust  blah blah blah... Making the assumption that things will go along without care is no guarantee of spiraling profit from the venture.  Before Moms were caught throwing this stuff away, your proposal had merit but even those Mom's were busted by 1970 and there just weren't a lot of scare surprises out there.

If it's the case that the child will be totally pleased with the simple time capsule, I like it. If you think it's passing on a nest egg, not so much.  

1 hour ago, Glassman10 said:

If well stored, they probably won't go down in value but there's a lot of ways they can. Water, fire, mice, humidity, warmth,nuclear holocaust  blah blah blah... Making the assumption that things will go along without care is no guarantee of spiraling profit from the venture.  Before Moms were caught throwing this stuff away, your proposal had merit but even those Mom's were busted by 1970 and there just weren't a lot of scare surprises out there.

If it's the case that the child will be totally pleased with the simple time capsule, I like it. If you think it's passing on a nest egg, not so much.  

Haha. Firstly your way of the words is quite unique and thanks for the reply.

yes the idea is 70/30 time capsule/nest egg. I really enjoy the thought of my son opening up a box and finding comics that are near the 80-90 year old mark. I think that might be derived from the fact i wish someone had have done that for me! Haha.

My theory also is that theres a chance a copy of a particular comic is scarce which has the potential to be valuable. 

On that note, is it pointless obtaining any old superhero comic from the 50's & 60's? should they ONLY be keys or #1's or significant issues? 

well, my point is that comics from the '50's are already pretty pricey since the mom's of America determined their relative scarcity by chucking the vast number of them into the landfill as they were printed. .  . There are indeed key runs that retain value and appreciate but I think just storing them in a box is a great way to have a sad surprise down the road. Mice ,Water,  Heat.fire, every one gets mentioned here as a sad demise. Buying those comic runs will not be cheap. Buying recognizable comics in great shape and slabbing them seems to be the way to go if you're looking at it as an investment.  Slabbed books aren't much fon for a kid. I don't quite know where you might find a loose box of comics that just happened to have a lot of keys in it. You can try yard and estate sales but it's not easy at all. Then you can be amazed at how a perfect book has great value and a dog eared one is close to worthless.   Oh and  I left out Mildew...

13 hours ago, Wolverine3 said:

My theory also is that theres a chance a copy of a particular comic is scarce which has the potential to be valuable. 

There is no crystal ball on what will find new demand that isn't already sought after today.  If it's good, we know.  If it's scarce, we know.  Buy what you like, so that you can share stories with him later.  If you're looking to lock away books that will appreciate, and you have to ask our opinion which ones to get, you probably shouldn't bother.

I'd stick to 1962 and earlier. I agree to stay away from lower grade unless it is a key. The better the condition the more it will increase in value percentage wise, in general. As a nest egg you are better off buying a single key issue in the highest grade you can afford. If you're more interested in the fun factor getting a bunch of dc/marvel major SH titles from 62 and earlier at mid to high grade certainly won't be a loss and I sure wish my dad did that for me with some books from the 30's or 40's.