• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Less Options to ship Comics from Canada. FedEx closing all retail office stores in Canada
2 2

15 posts in this topic

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/fedex-closing-stores-1.4215822

Shipping giant FedEx has quietly moved to close retail office stores in all Canadian cities putting more than 214 people out of work and ending three decades of doing business in the country.  

FedEx will continue to ship within Canada, but its copy and office supply stores will close Aug. 18.

"We reached the decision to exit the Canadian market after thoughtful evaluations of our business operations and considerations about our future," a company statement said. 

FedEx has 24 stores in Ontario, Nova Scotia and B.C., with the bulk located in Ontario. 

The news came as a shock to customers wondering where they will do business. 

"I needed to ship a parcel to New York yesterday and I was told by the woman at the counter that all the office stores in Canada were closing," London customer Jeff Blake explained. 

"I find it puzzling," he said, noting that FedEx had recently built a new store in the city.

5 hours ago, Senormac said:

Don't worry.... you guys still have Canada post :baiting:

lol True enough, I got two Canada Post mail offices in two stores within 10-15 mins walk where I live. Even have two UPS stores with 10 min bus ride by distance. 

With Fed Ex closing their copy and supply stores, I wonder if UPS will follow with the same route? hm

With such horrible customer service,

I am not surprised.

I had stopped using Fed Ex a long time ago. I ship with with Canada Post and have never had an issue.

My books that I ship usually arrive earlier then what the posted delivery time would be. 

1 hour ago, cheta42 said:

I am not surprised.

I had stopped using Fed Ex a long time ago. I ship with with Canada Post and have never had an issue.

My books that I ship usually arrive earlier then what the posted delivery time would be. 

Agreed, wished they'd shut down altogether because they suck just as bad in the US.  Had some window blinds delivered by them the other day, and the heaviest box (like 30 lbs. heavy) and its contents were beaten to excrement because the driver just tossed it in my driveway (couldn't even walk up to the front door).  Now comes the fun of return and replace.  F them. 

I've also never had a problem with Canada Post, plus it was way cheaper when last I looked (which admittedly was quite a long time ago).

A while ago I had a bill for $400+ come in at work from FedEx.  Someone had shipped a bike from BC to Chicago COD, accepted the bike, then declined to pay the bill.  FedEx's policy (as decribed to me by a phone agent) is to bill the closest account by proximity to the place where the package was shipped from in cases like that.  We didn't ship the bike, but FedEx expected me to pay the bill.  I cancelled the account and told them to send the bill to collections.  If they'd have billed the destination, they may have had a chance to collect as it sounds like it was the shipper's place of employment.

45 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

lol ... what a joke Fed Ex is !! They actually do that to anyone in proximity of the COD bill to be expected paid? Seriously? 

Ya, apparently.  If I hadn't have received a bill for it I wouldn't have believed it.  I won't have a FedEx account, in large part, due to that policy.

On 7/23/2017 at 4:27 PM, Bubb Rubb said:

Ya, apparently.  If I hadn't have received a bill for it I wouldn't have believed it.  I won't have a FedEx account, in large part, due to that policy.

Were you connected to the account that received the bike in anyway? What did they mean by " anyone in proximity of the COD"

On 7/23/2017 at 0:14 PM, mattn792 said:
On 7/23/2017 at 10:18 AM, cheta42 said:

I am not surprised.

Agreed, wished they'd shut down altogether because they suck just as bad in the US.  Had some window blinds delivered by them the other day, and the heaviest box (like 30 lbs. heavy) and its contents were beaten to excrement because the driver just tossed it in my driveway (couldn't even walk up to the front door).  Now comes the fun of return and replace.  F them. 

Odd, I've used Fed Ex for years with zero problems.

The packaging needs to be strong enough to withstand shipping IMO.

Thankfully I have a depot close to me.

Here in the States FedEx and UPS have both drop off boxes (you do your shipping label online & then if the box fits drop into the drop off box) and they partner with office supply stores like Office Depot.   In Canada does FedEx have similar things? The delivery trucks can easily enough drop by a box or a office supply store to pick up packages. 

Never had a problem with Canada Post either, but lately I've been sticking to Chit Chat Express (luckily, there is a branch only a few blocks from my  office). They take your shipments across the border for a minimal fee and ship them USPS.

On 7/23/2017 at 1:01 PM, Squeezy McSphincter said:

I've also never had a problem with Canada Post, plus it was way cheaper when last I looked (which admittedly was quite a long time ago).

A while ago I had a bill for $400+ come in at work from FedEx.  Someone had shipped a bike from BC to Chicago COD, accepted the bike, then declined to pay the bill.  FedEx's policy (as decribed to me by a phone agent) is to bill the closest account by proximity to the place where the package was shipped from in cases like that.  We didn't ship the bike, but FedEx expected me to pay the bill.  I cancelled the account and told them to send the bill to collections.  If they'd have billed the destination, they may have had a chance to collect as it sounds like it was the shipper's place of employment.

WT#%#? That's about a bizarre as it gets.  However, I'm not completely surprised. Just mostly surprised. 

Believe it or not, CGC was actually sending out some packages under my FedEx shipping account.  Not MY packages, other peoples packages.  A glitch of some sort. Despite several calls, it kept happening. CGC was crediting the money back, but it kept happening and I had to keep watching my FedEx statements.  Finally I closed the FedEx account. Which you have to do by calling. You can create a shipping account online - but to close the account you have to call. 

Anyway, a few more shipments were made AFTER I closed the FedEx account. And FedEx sent me bills. Multiple bills. On a CLOSED account.  I did one letter and just changed the date every time. Saying the account is closed and why would you let someone ship under a closed account?  Meanwhile, a call to Customer Service service at CGC finally got to someone that was able to actually fix it and get the FedEx account info deleted from my account. 

Crazy but true story. This transpired over the course of a year.