• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HARLEY QUINN VS. THE JOKER in development (TBD)
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Warner Bros. Developing a Harley Quinn vs The Joker Spinoff

CoRLd0c.jpg

Warner Bros. Pictures and DC Entertainment are developing a live-action film pitting Harley Quinn against The Joker, Screen Rant has learned. This project is set within the DCEU and seems to be in addition to the Suicide Squad sequel (Jaume Collet-Serra is reportedly in the running to direct) and the in-development Gotham City Sirens which sees Margot Robbie’s Quinn in another feature directed by David Ayer.

The project is described as a spinoff and Geoff Johns is set to produce. No story details or production dates have been set as of yet, but it’s possible we learn more during the Warner Bros. panel at San Diego’s Comic-Con International tomorrow where they kick off the big day in the convention center’s Hall H.

Since WB/DC had already put its feelers out there by letting news outlets know this was already in development, looks like now they have made it official.

Joker and Harley Quinn Movie Coming from 'Crazy Stupid Love' Filmmakers (Exclusive)

suicide_squad_still_glenn_ficarra_and_jo

Glenn Ficarra and John Requa, directors and executive producers of the hit NBC drama This Is Us and who also wrote and helmed the 2011 film Crazy, Stupid, Love, are entering the DC cinematic universe at Warner Bros.

The duo are in final negotiations to pen and helm an untitled movie project centering on Batman villains Joker and Harley Quinn.

Jared Leto and Margot Robbie are due to reprise their roles as the villains, among the most popular characters in the DC pantheon and which they first portrayed in 2016’s Suicide Squad.

Insiders say that the plan is for this feature to go after the studio makes a sequel to Suicide Squad. The latter is on the development fast-track and out to directors. But the Joker and Harley Quinn movie is also moving fast as [WB] has to contend with actors' holding agreements, say sources.

The film is described as a “criminal love story,” according to one source, featuring the two murdering maniacs who are cornerstones in the Batman mythos. One insider offered this: "an insane and twisted love story. When Harry Met Sally on benzedrine."

Additionally, the project falls within Warners' main line of movies based on their DC properties. Warner Bros. is simultaneously beginning to develop a line of DC-related films that will fall outside the established cinematic universe which sees actors and storylines threaded through multiple movies.

Margot Robbie Says Harley Quinn & Joker Film Will End In Flames

Earlier this week, the Harley Quinn actress sat down with BANG Showbiz to discuss her Batman character. Robbie was asked how she felt about the DCEU’s plans for a Harley Quinn & Joker film, and the Aussie actress had only good things to say.

"Their love story has to end in flames! It has to, it just wouldn't be right,’ Robbie said.

In the past, the actress has said she foresees the adaptation being a twisted, romantic one. Robbie told Coming Soon earlier this month that she’s a sucker for a love story, but the one Harley Quinn has with the Joker may be an unhealthy one.

“I’m personally a sucker for a love story. In any iteration. I think people enjoy seeing two characters who, in Harley and Joker’s case, would die for one another,” Robbie explained. “It’s kind of romantic in a messed up way.”

Suicide Squad star Jared Leto says it's "hard to say no" to the Joker, a role he returns to in Zack Snyder's Justice League. Leto's turn as the damaged DC Comics supervillain appeared to be a one-off after the David Ayer-directed Suicide Squad, where Batman (Ben Affleck) apprehends the clown prince of crime's love-stricken accomplice Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie). Leto's Joker is last seen springing Harley from prison to end Suicide Squad and does not appear in spin-off Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey, where an emancipated Harley breaks up with her "Mr. J" (played by Johnny Goth in a cameo appearance).

"It's hard to say no to that character," Leto told the Variety Awards Circuit podcast about a return to the DC Extended Universe after his pared-down appearance in Suicide Squad. "It's like [Leto's character] Albert Sparma in The Little Things. There are a very few characters that you play that have absolutely no rules, you know, that you could just go to town. It's so much fun, that energy. I had a lot of fun with that character."

"Sparma reminds me a little bit of that character as well, in that he's just a little outside the box," Leto added about his character in the Denzel Washington and Rami Malek-starring crime drama. "He's someone who says everything that he thinks, basically. And he always is surprising. He's very playful. And I found him actually quite funny as well."

Leto reprised the Joker role for additional photography on Zack Snyder's Justice League, joining returning Justice League actors Affleck, Henry Cavill (Superman), Ray Fisher (Cyborg), Joe Manganiello (Deathstroke), and Amber Heard (Mera). The director's cut from Man of Steel and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice filmmaker Zack Snyder takes place "slightly elsewhere" outside of the ongoing DCEU, according to Snyder and Warner Bros. executives.

The tattooed Joker will debut an alternate appearance in the Snyder Cut as the Justice League visionary wanted to "honor what had been created with him [in Suicide Squad] because I thought it was really cool."

"I'm not going to tell you what happens in the little scene, but some water has gone under the proverbial bridge between when last we saw Joker and this appearance. He's a road-weary Joker, I guess that's a way of saying it," Snyder recently told Beyond the Trailer. "I will say it was fun having a segment of the band together for this little vignette, if you will. Working with Jared was really amazing, his attention to detail, he really cares a lot about it being awesome. It was fun and everyone did an amazing (job)."

Warner Bros. is developing an untitled tentpole movie starring Jared Leto as the Joker and Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn.

Glenn Ficarra and John Requa, who direct and exec produce NBC’s “This Is Us,” are in final negotiations to direct the villain movie as part of the expanding DC Entertainment universe.

Leto and Robbie will reprise the roles they played in the studio’s 2016 super-villain mash-up “Suicide Squad.” The studio has not unveiled any logline other than a “criminal love story.”

:shiftyeyes:

Edited by Bosco685

On 6/7/2022 at 7:03 PM, Bosco685 said:

Warner Bros. is developing an untitled tentpole movie starring Jared Leto as the Joker and Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn.

Glenn Ficarra and John Requa, who direct and exec produce NBC’s “This Is Us,” are in final negotiations to direct the villain movie as part of the expanding DC Entertainment universe.

Leto and Robbie will reprise the roles they played in the studio’s 2016 super-villain mash-up “Suicide Squad.” The studio has not unveiled any logline other than a “criminal love story.”

:shiftyeyes:

Oh great. The This is Us team will deliver 2 hours of Joker and Harley trying to work their relationship issues out while showing flashbacks detailing all of the things that happened to them. 

Leto was good in the Snyder cut of Justice League, but I doubt that's the direction that they're going with. I have no desire to see the Suicide Squad Joker again.

I dunno, maybe I was tainted by his SS Joker but I just can't stand to see him in that role, even in JL he made my blood boil. I'll never watch another movie with him as The Joker, worst casting, character representation and acting of any comic book character for me. Probably doesn't help Joker is my favourite character :bigsmile: