• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Are The Rarest CGC SS Celebrity Sigs
2 2

139 posts in this topic

On 8/1/2017 at 6:00 AM, TheRealVenom said:

I may open a can of worms here.. hopefully not.

I completely disagree with this chasing method and cgc should not allow it.

Look, I understand most of these cgc official witnesses are trusted by the company but money talks. Who's to say one unscrupulous witness and a friend decided hey a leonardo dicaprio sig would be worth a lot of money! I can see someone faking it for greed purposes, which is why I asked previously to know the story behind the dicaprio sig here.

I think CGC should ONLY accept subs from events like conventions or where CGC  full time employed officials are in attendance to further guarantee any sig. Like how the old lables from circa 2005 were when it said Signed by so and so At Wiz World Philly on whatever date. There is too much grey area for me with these super rare sigs that it's enough for me to question the validity of them.

Now I know you're going to say well cgc can't be at every con! but there are trusted likes like Rich, Torrey and Dre who are and a simple check of the show program will show said celeb was in attendance.

Thoughts? I'm not calling cgc out here just saying money talks and all it takes is one person to do this to compromise everything cgc stands for.

CGC stopped allowing "chased" SS books years ago - the company on the other side of the street seems to have no problem with them, though.

It's kind of a pointless debate. I did get $50-75 (depending on the image) for my Affleck's when I got them signed.  You seem to think only within the CGC-Slabbed-Witnessed world, or private signings where it's controlled, authenticated and an arm and a leg for a signature.

Samuel L. Jackson is not a $699 autograph (TMZ just did video of him signing a few autographs and I was offered one of those signatures for $125), so again, and yes, chasing and getting witnessed are two different things but my point is no way is a $50-75 worth $2,500-5,000 because it was witnessed.

Just because Jeffrey Dean Morgan charges $80 per signature doesn't make him his signature an $80 signature, as you can find them cheaper. Having run many autograph shows, that's basically the price to "meet" the celebrity and there are other prices for other people, as I am sure this happens in the comic book world. Not to mention if there was a line across the building, I am sure a very small percentage was comic books that would get slabbed. You can always find celebrity signed items at much lower prices from reputable chasers and items authenticated by reputable authenticating firms, that are not slabbed and witnessed. 

Signed books (like Affleck or Leo D.) rarely (or never) make it on Comiclink, eBay or other sites so until one comes up and allows the market to dictate it's value (all you need is two nuts and maybe they exist with deep pockets looking for a sloppy first name initial on a blank canvas), then we can agree to disagree.

And the appeal I have for the yellow is the witness aspect of it.

2 hours ago, Monstertruck97 said:

It's kind of a pointless debate. I did get $50-75 (depending on the image) for my Affleck's when I got them signed.  You seem to think only within the CGC-Slabbed-Witnessed world, or private signings where it's controlled, authenticated and an arm and a leg for a signature.

Samuel L. Jackson is not a $699 autograph (TMZ just did video of him signing a few autographs and I was offered one of those signatures for $125), so again, and yes, chasing and getting witnessed are two different things but my point is no way is a $50-75 worth $2,500-5,000 because it was witnessed.

Just because Jeffrey Dean Morgan charges $80 per signature doesn't make him his signature an $80 signature, as you can find them cheaper. Having run many autograph shows, that's basically the price to "meet" the celebrity and there are other prices for other people, as I am sure this happens in the comic book world. Not to mention if there was a line across the building, I am sure a very small percentage was comic books that would get slabbed. You can always find celebrity signed items at much lower prices from reputable chasers and items authenticated by reputable authenticating firms, that are not slabbed and witnessed. 

Signed books (like Affleck or Leo D.) rarely (or never) make it on Comiclink, eBay or other sites so until one comes up and allows the market to dictate it's value (all you need is two nuts and maybe they exist with deep pockets looking for a sloppy first name initial on a blank canvas), then we can agree to disagree.

And the appeal I have for the yellow is the witness aspect of it.

This is the CGC boards and those frequenting it are most often only concerned about CGC witnessed items.  I think we can all agree that any number of celebrity signed items can be purchased for a lesser amount from any number of sources and that is not up for debate and should not be discussed in this thread as it it not relevant to the original topic.

In the CGC and more specifically the CGC SS community there will always be a premium on witnessed encapsulated items.   I can speak with some confidence as I own the Affleck and Leo pictured.  Do I wish they were better....sure but the question should be do any better exist that have been CGC witnessed?  To my knowledge there are not and really on these boards those are the only signatures we are concerned about NOT ones that can be purchased from other sources.  

Look, we all have our limits and what is crazy to some is common place for others and calling one nuts is I think over critical.  For example, I think paying 4-5,000 for a Jim Lee Sketch is crazy but Kwan sold all his Jim Lee Sketch covers for that price within days of him posting them and they are equally as rare as any celebrity signature.  Just because I would not pay that much does not mean those that did are nuts.   

I ask that we remember we are on the CGC boards and direct our discussion towards that end.    

4 minutes ago, bigcbass said:

I personally would be in favor of bringing back "chased" signatures.  In my mind, a witness signature is a witnessed signature.  I could care less if it was done in an organized signing or not.  

It would be a terrible idea to bring chased signatures back. Some of the ways that people went after signatures was just crazy.

6 hours ago, ivdyer said:

Look, we all have our limits and what is crazy to some is common place for others and calling one nuts is I think over critical.  For example, I think paying 4-5,000 for a Jim Lee Sketch is crazy but Kwan sold all his Jim Lee Sketch covers for that price within days of him posting them and they are equally as rare as any celebrity signature.  Just because I would not pay that much does not mean those that did are nuts.   

Correction.  i sold all but the joker one.  i still have the joker one available :)

I don't question the value of any of these books, Hell I just sold a Gal Gadot signed book for 800$ but with these chased books (I'm gonna take flack for this I know it) I question the validty of the signatures. It's just too easy for one shady cgc witness and a buddy to fill in a form and say ya this was signed by some super mega star and sell it for insane money.

If cgc has stopped this chasing method then I was unaware and retract my previous post. I personally believe the only way a book should get a yellow lable is from a convention where said celeb was in attendance or a private signing where a full time CGC official is present. 

That being said I'd love to own one of Charlie's books! I think those are both insanely cool! but Would I pay more than a couple hundred? probably not unless I saw the book signed in person. too many variables which would make me question the sig. 

5 hours ago, bigcbass said:

I personally would be in favor of bringing back "chased" signatures.  In my mind, a witness signature is a witnessed signature.  I could care less if it was done in an organized signing or not.  

5 hours ago, Darrell F said:

It would be a terrible idea to bring chased signatures back. Some of the ways that people went after signatures was just crazy.

Agreed Darrell. 

Any company actually looking to build brand trust and subsequently brand value is not going to be in the business of being associated and condoning chasing people down at traffic lights while they are in a car, or ambushing them outside of screenings, or restaurants, or while they are with their kids. Worse yet they wouldn't want paparazzo-style hit and run techniques to be associated with their product when they are trying to open doors to artists and celebrities and not instead have them slammed in their face. 

The business and the growth isn't in getting baked and getting single Tommy Lee Jones sig on a Wolverine blank because the "witness/facilitator/whatever" was flying by the seat of his pants and wasn't lucid enough to now he had the wrong guy on the wrong book. The business and the growth is in creating and cultivating a trusted and established brand that carry no negative connotations with celebrities or their representative so that, when the time comes, you get hundreds of submissions and signatures in one sitting. 

Brands and labels and certifications don't last, can't last, if they allow sub-professional behavior to be allowed and condoned. That's why chasing can't come back, shouldn't come back. My yellow labels mean something to me. The label itself has established a trust and value all its own. I'm not sacrificing that because one guy decides he's going to repel down from the ceiling, mission impossible-style, at Vanilla Ice's kids bar mitzvah to get him to sign a comic and gets hauled off by security and makes all the professionals and adults in this area of the hobby (who've invested time, energy and resources to establish their integrity) look like rank amateurs. 

And these were only slight exaggerations. 

the van dyke thing is exactly what I was talking about earlier in the thread. I would like a van dyke ss book. I'm sure I can get one for less after salt lake if I don't send one in myself to get signed.

if someone has money to throw away bless them. in my opinion paying an extravagant amount of money for something I can get for a third of the price six months or a year later is ludicrous. I don't mind dropping money into my ss collection. but to think I paid 5k for a b scribbled on a book when that same person may be signing with ca in six months for  a grand and they will actually be signing there name might have me at the skyway in tampa looking to jump.

recently here there have been sales of a vamp 1 signed by frazetta. I know rich posted a nimoy ss. havnt looked to see if its still available. things like that I know will never be signed again. hell if a b scribbled on a book with no value is 5k shouldn't that vamp 1 signed by frazetta be 25 to 50k?

13 hours ago, littlebill said:

the van dyke thing is exactly what I was talking about earlier in the thread. I would like a van dyke ss book. I'm sure I can get one for less after salt lake if I don't send one in myself to get signed.

if someone has money to throw away bless them. in my opinion paying an extravagant amount of money for something I can get for a third of the price six months or a year later is ludicrous. I don't mind dropping money into my ss collection. but to think I paid 5k for a b scribbled on a book when that same person may be signing with ca in six months for  a grand and they will actually be signing there name might have me at the skyway in tampa looking to jump.

recently here there have been sales of a vamp 1 signed by frazetta. I know rich posted a nimoy ss. havnt looked to see if its still available. things like that I know will never be signed again. hell if a b scribbled on a book with no value is 5k shouldn't that vamp 1 signed by frazetta be 25 to 50k?

Let's be clear. I did not pay 5K, 4K, 3K, or 2K for that Affleck book. I am hedging my bets that Affleck will not be signing anytime soon but I am a collector not a flipper so it does not matter. I will have Ash do art around the sig at some point. I would consider myself a savy buyer/collector. I have paid more than I should have on occasion but this time I did not.

Affleck is an A-lister.  A-listers (to me) have a different set of rules. Because you don't know if you are ever going to get one again.  Plus different people have different ideas of who their "must have" celeb is. Mine is Sean Connery on a Dr. No book. I would probably spend more on that than it is "worth."  At some point - with very rare sigs - it is simply a matter of what amount will pry them out of another collectors collection.  

It is impossible to say which is the rarest celeb SS book.  There are too many that are high demand celebs that haven't signed anything yellow labeled yet and there are several who have only signed one or less that five SS books.  Here are a few of my favorite SS celeb books that I know for a fact are one of a kind or have less than 5 SS books signed by these folks:

rare ss a.jpg

rare ss b.jpg

rare ss c.jpg

rare ss d.jpg

rare ss e.jpg

rare ss f.jpg

rare ss g.jpg

rare ss h.jpg