• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Are The Rarest CGC SS Celebrity Sigs
2 2

139 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, seanfingh said:

Affleck is an A-lister.  A-listers (to me) have a different set of rules. Because you don't know if you are ever going to get one again.  Plus different people have different ideas of who their "must have" celeb is. Mine is Sean Connery on a Dr. No book. I would probably spend more on that than it is "worth."  At some point - with very rare sigs - it is simply a matter of what amount will pry them out of another collectors collection.  

I agree Sean, Connery has to be the most demanded celebrity that an SS book has not been accomplished yet.  Personally, I don't think it will ever happen.  I hope I'm wrong though.

29 minutes ago, Triston Pence said:

I agree Sean, Connery has to be the most demanded celebrity that an SS book has not been accomplished yet.  Personally, I don't think it will ever happen.  I hope I'm wrong though.

I haven't quite figured out why there doesn't seem to be that much interest in James Earl Jones.  Has anyone ever gotten him for SS?

6 hours ago, Triston Pence said:

He is essentially in retirement and at least according to some friends sued alot of producers.

5 hours ago, somewhereintexas said:

I haven't quite figured out why there doesn't seem to be that much interest in James Earl Jones.  Has anyone ever gotten him for SS?

There is quite a bit of interest to get James Earl Jones from people, but after his wife died he seems uninterested in doing signings.

On 8/10/2017 at 4:16 PM, inthehottub said:

Van Dyke was also at the Phoenix comic Con.  I know at least one book got done.  Not by me :(

Yeah I saw that book that guy signed it was on a Mary Poppins comic and I even know the boardie who got it done. The $100 price tag was not bad for a guy of his caliber.

On 7/31/2017 at 8:00 PM, TheRealVenom said:

I may open a can of worms here.. hopefully not.

I completely disagree with this chasing method and cgc should not allow it.

Look, I understand most of these cgc official witnesses are trusted by the company but money talks. Who's to say one unscrupulous witness and a friend decided hey a leonardo dicaprio sig would be worth a lot of money! I can see someone faking it for greed purposes, which is why I asked previously to know the story behind the dicaprio sig here.

I think CGC should ONLY accept subs from events like conventions or where CGC  full time employed officials are in attendance to further guarantee any sig. Like how the old lables from circa 2005 were when it said Signed by so and so At Wiz World Philly on whatever date. There is too much grey area for me with these super rare sigs that it's enough for me to question the validity of them.

Now I know you're going to say well cgc can't be at every con! but there are trusted likes like Rich, Torrey and Dre who are and a simple check of the show program will show said celeb was in attendance.

Thoughts? I'm not calling cgc out here just saying money talks and all it takes is one person to do this to compromise everything cgc stands for.

I think it depends on what is setup. Alot of actors are appearing at theaters now to promote films and is included in the price of the ticket. Those actors usually sign stuff for fans who buy a ticket. The same thing with music artists a person has the option to buy a Meet & Greet VIP Package sigs are included in that price. It is not as hard as you think to get done anymore. Then you have plays to where actors will meet you at a place afterwards to sign. Then if you know the exit to a smaller venue you can get music acts to sign.

To me it is just being resourceful and setting stuff up.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:51 PM, TheRealVenom said:

I don't question the value of any of these books, Hell I just sold a Gal Gadot signed book for 800$ but with these chased books (I'm gonna take flack for this I know it) I question the validty of the signatures. It's just too easy for one shady cgc witness and a buddy to fill in a form and say ya this was signed by some super mega star and sell it for insane money.

If cgc has stopped this chasing method then I was unaware and retract my previous post. I personally believe the only way a book should get a yellow lable is from a convention where said celeb was in attendance or a private signing where a full time CGC official is present. 

That being said I'd love to own one of Charlie's books! I think those are both insanely cool! but Would I pay more than a couple hundred? probably not unless I saw the book signed in person. too many variables which would make me question the sig. 

CGC stopped it about a year ago in part. A signature must come from an approved signing meaning: a convention, private signing, charity functions where having an item signed is part of the package, certain meet-and-greets, panel type appearances, etc.

They no longer allow signatures at filming locations, walking down a street, getting them at dinner, etc.

There's a middle area in that a person is at SDCC, NYCC, etc even if only for panels, CGC has allowed signatures. This is how a lot of one-off items get signed.

Anytime a facilitator is obtaining a signature, CGC must be made aware of it. So for instance if James Earl Jones (which there is a lot of demand but he stopped signing a while back) were to do a Q&A at a theater in NY and there was a meet-and-greet, a facilitator could ask CGC for the OK to attend. But CGC has said no depending on the actual event.

P.S. I have a picture of Affleck signing my book and Ezra Miller is also on it but he didn't press hand so it's pretty faint but still a dual Batman/Flash SS book. :-)

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 11:00 PM, TheRealVenom said:

I may open a can of worms here.. hopefully not.

I completely disagree with this chasing method and cgc should not allow it.

Look, I understand most of these cgc official witnesses are trusted by the company but money talks. Who's to say one unscrupulous witness and a friend decided hey a leonardo dicaprio sig would be worth a lot of money! I can see someone faking it for greed purposes, which is why I asked previously to know the story behind the dicaprio sig here.

I think CGC should ONLY accept subs from events like conventions or where CGC  full time employed officials are in attendance to further guarantee any sig. Like how the old lables from circa 2005 were when it said Signed by so and so At Wiz World Philly on whatever date. There is too much grey area for me with these super rare sigs that it's enough for me to question the validity of them.

Now I know you're going to say well cgc can't be at every con! but there are trusted likes like Rich, Torrey and Dre who are and a simple check of the show program will show said celeb was in attendance.

Thoughts? I'm not calling cgc out here just saying money talks and all it takes is one person to do this to compromise everything cgc stands for.

Sounds like what you are saying is that it's ok for a facilitator to "facilitate" at a show, but not ok if someone wants to just get a witness and go to a show. And that's the way it already is.

Joe Collector can't call up CGC and say he has a witness and is going to a con, lcs signing, etc etc. Now Jane Collector can call CGC and ask for a witness to come out (one that CGC would provide) for a LCS signing or something and if CGC deems it worthwhile they could...but they might just ask one of the aforementioned facilitators who is nearby if they would like to go. Not sure how that would work exactly.

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:48 PM, somewhereintexas said:

He has been approached a few times. He used to sign with Topps and did some other signings but even told Topps he wouldn't be doing it anymore.

Things could always change but right now he has no interest in it.

5 hours ago, Kevlar said:

Sounds like what you are saying is that it's ok for a facilitator to "facilitate" at a show, but not ok if someone wants to just get a witness and go to a show. And that's the way it already is.

Joe Collector can't call up CGC and say he has a witness and is going to a con, lcs signing, etc etc. Now Jane Collector can call CGC and ask for a witness to come out (one that CGC would provide) for a LCS signing or something and if CGC deems it worthwhile they could...but they might just ask one of the aforementioned facilitators who is nearby if they would like to go. Not sure how that would work exactly.

Not at all.

I'm saying, Joe who is a collector and his friend mike who is an official cgc witness decide one day to scribble something on a comic and pawn it off as ya we bumped into Samuel L Jackson in hollywood and he signed a comic, and said comic gets a yellow lable. It's very grey IMHO. It's too easy for one shady witness to help a buddy out and make a ton of cash on the side.

I think if there is a signing at an LCS or a convention and there is proof said celeb was there then it gives more solid credibility to said signature. 

I was also naive in my original statement. I wasn't aware CGC had stopped this method, but seeing as how it was allowed before brings credibility issues to me personally of some of these super rare signatures.

I don't question any of the signatures gotten by yourself or any of the facilitators here. I'm 100% confident they have all been gotten above board, and I know with yourself personally you always post pics on your FB page with yourself and said celeb :)

Edited by TheRealVenom

As someone who has been involved in the SS program for 15 years.  I will say that "hey we bumped into somebody and they signed" has never been allowed.  Everything has always had to be approved in advance, even on chased books.  A location had to be provided, a date had to be provided,  and some kind of proof (ticket stub, picture from the signing, playbill, program, Ect. ) had to be provided.  For example I got Rudy Giuliani to sign a Marvel 911 book at a motivational speaking event.  It was approved in advance.  He signed one item and I provided a program from the event.  It is real and rare and all rules were obeyed.   I am sure somebody might question it.  George Bush showed up that day also unannounced walked up to me and asked if I wanted him to sign it (true Story) and I said no because it was not approved for him to sign the item for Signature Series.   Witnesses follow rules, and even though people question books (most likely because they have not figured out a way to get the signature themselves) I would like to believe that all signed books in the SS program are legitimate.

1 hour ago, SignatureSelect said:

As someone who has been involved in the SS program for 15 years.  I will say that "hey we bumped into somebody and they signed" has never been allowed.  Everything has always had to be approved in advance, even on chased books.  A location had to be provided, a date had to be provided,  and some kind of proof (ticket stub, picture from the signing, playbill, program, Ect. ) had to be provided.  For example I got Rudy Giuliani to sign a Marvel 911 book at a motivational speaking event.  It was approved in advance.  He signed one item and I provided a program from the event.  It is real and rare and all rules were obeyed.   I am sure somebody might question it.  George Bush showed up that day also unannounced walked up to me and asked if I wanted him to sign it (true Story) and I said no because it was not approved for him to sign the item for Signature Series.   Witnesses follow rules, and even though people question books (most likely because they have not figured out a way to get the signature themselves) I would like to believe that all signed books in the SS program are legitimate.

That makes me feel a little better actually. 

8 hours ago, TheRealVenom said:

Not at all.

I'm saying, Joe who is a collector and his friend mike who is an official cgc witness decide one day to scribble something on a comic and pawn it off as ya we bumped into Samuel L Jackson in hollywood and he signed a comic, and said comic gets a yellow lable. It's very grey IMHO. It's too easy for one shady witness to help a buddy out and make a ton of cash on the side.

I think if there is a signing at an LCS or a convention and there is proof said celeb was there then it gives more solid credibility to said signature. 

I was also naive in my original statement. I wasn't aware CGC had stopped this method, but seeing as how it was allowed before brings credibility issues to me personally of some of these super rare signatures.

I don't question any of the signatures gotten by yourself or any of the facilitators here. I'm 100% confident they have all been gotten above board, and I know with yourself personally you always post pics on your FB page with yourself and said celeb :)

Sorry...wasn't trying to be rude, I was just making sure I understood what you were saying and let you know it was already like that. Only facilitators can obtain signatures for CGC signature series outside of a CGC witness at a show.

5 hours ago, SignatureSelect said:

Not true from what I have heard....but I have been known to be wrong before. I think there are some books out there that were gotten on a plane (can't remember who just happened to have a blank and got Matthew McConaughey on a book) and I believe there were others at weird instances that were allowed. Course I have been wrong before so...

On 7/22/2017 at 6:41 PM, mschmidt said:

There are a ton of celebrities that have only signed a couple of books for SS - it makes them rare, doesn't necessarily make them desirable.

I'm fairly certain that some of my Stargate Atlantis CGC SS books are the only copies that have the signatures of those particular celebrities, but it doesn't really mean anything to anyone outside of me (and my wife).

Anyway, for rarity & desirability, I'd say George Lucas.

I have several SG-1 & Atlantis CGC SS books as well.  A big FAN!!!  Wife and daughter as well.

I would say SEAN CONNERY.  I have never seen one.  Also, I placed a head hunt out on the boards as well to pay $1k for his signature on a SC43 book, any grade.  Heck, any CGC book I would take still.  $1k offer still stands!!

13 hours ago, Agent 007 said:

I have several SG-1 & Atlantis CGC SS books as well.  A big FAN!!!  Wife and daughter as well.

I would say SEAN CONNERY.  I have never seen one.  Also, I placed a head hunt out on the boards as well to pay $1k for his signature on a SC43 book, any grade.  Heck, any CGC book I would take still.  $1k offer still stands!!

Roger Moore SS books are available everyday and they have a price tag of more than 1000.  I feel that one would have to offer more than 1000 to make that happen.  Connery doesn't sign, He hardly makes public Appearances, and he lives in the Bahamas.  Those are alot of obstacles getting in the way.  Add to that Mr. Connery doesn't need the money, openly shuns the public, and CGC would need to approve the signing and the books  and a witness would need to be present.  I don't believe it will ever happen as much as we would all love for it to.  But no one should ever give up hope.

2 hours ago, PhantomEwan said:

Not sure how rare it is, but I have a Danny Devito Batman, never seen another.  

He signed at a couple of shows I remember. I've owned a couple signed by him at one point. Not sure how many he signed at those appearances but there was more than one.