• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

History Channel's VIKINGS (11/29/17)
2 2

42 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

The last 2 episodes were amazing.

The fight scene in the maze and the Viking election were amazing.

Everyone should be watching this series.

I’m about 3 episodes behind. I was watching regularly until the Christmas break.

16 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

Lagertha’s send off was spectacular.

Powerful but sad episode.

A much beloved character is gone :frown:

I really had hope, until the next episode opened up. Then I knew the end had come.

:(

But with this, what a dangerous environment mind-altering herbs has brought to the sons of Ragnar.

:ohnoez::ohnoez::ohnoez::ohnoez:

Mid-season finale was wild. Only ten more episodes left.

‘Vikings’ Creator Breaks Down the Midseason Finale’s Bloody Battle

The Rus have officially invaded Vikings territory. On Wednesday night’s midseason finale of the History series, Ivar (Alex Hogh Andersen) and Oleg (Danila Kozlovsky) landed at King Harald Finehair’s (Peter Franzén) doorstep, where he, Bjorn (Alexander Ludwig) and the rest of the remaining Vikings waited to do battle. Unfortunately for them the remining territories refused to answer their call for help, and they were easily outnumbered by the Rus.

By the end of the bloody episode Bjorn had fallen to his brother’s sword and Finehair was down for the count, but according to creator Michael Hirst viewers shouldn’t assume anything. “You don’t know whether Bjorn is dead or not,” he tells Variety.

When the show returns later this year for the final 10 episodes of the series, the story picks up a day or two from where the action left off, with several key players critically injured and Ivar in a state of celebration. But before that happens, Hirst talks with Variety about the historical context behind some of the episode’s bigger scenes, working with director Daniel Grou, and capping the series off in the next batch of episodes.

Did you schedule Daniel Grou’s directing block so that he could specifically helm the midseason finale?

He’s fantastic. He really is a very gifted director and that was pretty carefully planned out because my God, that was a challenging set of episodes. They were hugely imaginative and hugely challenging and he was definitely the person I wanted to tackle that. It meant a huge amount. He’d shot other episodes and he was always comfortable but prepared to take risks. The show just kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger, and he was never phased by that. And he’s a really nice guy.

The final battle was juxtaposed with quiet moments on the beach between the brothers, discussing their father’s legacy and destiny. How important was it to add that personal touch, especially considering that Ivar goes on to stab Bjorn?

The director and I talked about that a lot. We’ve done it before where you get a personal story in the middle of a battle. It just seemed too good a thing not to do — to have these two brothers who’d always locked horns, who represented different aspects of their father, to actually talk together sort of quietly while there’s a battle going on. “Vikings” does that well, I think, in that it’s surreal but almost totally believable because probably in their heads they would have been talking to each other anyway, because they knew that they were fighting each other. I suppose in an opera you’d get that sort of interchange. I love it. I think it works so well and I love the thing that that Ivar says, “The gods must love us because they seem to enjoy us fighting so much.” I hate those battles scenes where it’s just constant armies going from left to right and right to left and you don’t really care who dies. I just want it to be personal. There are lots of personal conflicts going on, personal life and death moments. I always loved those intrusions that I could inject into the narrative.

I bailed on watching regularly after the boys and Rollo avenged Ragnar's death. Once the show went away from historical accounts I lost interest in it. 

Is it worth trying to watch from that point on?

3 hours ago, kimik said:

I bailed on watching regularly after the boys and Rollo avenged Ragnar's death. Once the show went away from historical accounts I lost interest in it. 

Yup!

21 hours ago, kimik said:

100%.

The midway finale was great.

Like GOT, no one is safe from death in this series.

10 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

100%.

The midway finale was great.

Like GOT, no one is safe from death in this series.

That finale ending - WOW! 'Best Laid Plans' indeed.

That back and forth between Ivar and Bjorn throughout was really wild. And shows the relationships Ragnar created amongst his children.

Spoiler

Who does the crown go to now with Harald down (but probably not dead)?

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

That finale ending - WOW! 'Best Laid Plans' indeed.

That back and forth between Ivar and Bjorn throughout was really wild. And shows the relationships Ragnar created amongst his children.

Hide contents

Who does the crown go to now with Harald down (but probably not dead)?

The conversations with Bjorn and Ivan were pure genius. It was really well written and filmed.

Shaping up for a great final 10 episodes. 

1 minute ago, Jordysnordy said:

The conversations with Bjorn and Ivan were pure genius. It was really well written and filmed.

Shaping up for a great final 10 episodes. 

In the minds of combatants. I really enjoyed those discussions.

I have so much to catch up on. This is one of them. But the good news is more is coming.

Vikings season 7 isn't going to happen, but fans of History's Norse saga can return to Kattegat in the upcoming spinoff series Vikings: Valhalla.

Since Vikings premiered in 2013 it has drawn a fascinating picture of Norse culture and history, while also gradually building up the power struggle between the pagan gods and Christianity that the Vikings are ultimately destined to lose. Here's how Vikings' story will continue beyond the lives of Ragnar's sons.

In November 2019 it was announced that a sequel/spinoff series called Vikings: Valhalla was in development from Hirst and MGM Television, and had been picked up by Netflix. The series was co-created, written and executive produced by Die Hard screenwriter Jeb Stuart, with Hirst providing oversight. Vikings: Valhalla will be set more than 100 years after the events of Vikings, and will follow other famous figures from the sagas such as Erik the Red and Harald Hardrada.

Netflix has covered similar ground to Vikings in its historical drama The Last Kingdom, which focuses on the rise to power of Alfred the Great and has several other characters in common with Vikings. The Last Kingdom season 5 is expected to release on Netflix in late 2021, and the popularity of that show may have been a factor in the decision to pick up Vikings: Valhalla.

Vikings: Valhalla began filming in summer 2020 at Ashford Studios in Ireland, and although production was suspended for a few days due to positive COVID-19 tests among the cast and crew, it quickly got back on track. The series was originally supposed to begin filming in the first half of 2020, but was delayed due to the coronavirus pandemic. Barring any further setbacks, Vikings: Valhalla will likely arrive on Netflix in late 2021.

Finished the last batch of episodes (including the series finale) and all I can say is wow. What a great job they did finishing this series. The writing, acting and scenery were just tremendous the whole way through. While I'm sad such a great series is over, the end was very satisfying.  Mystifies me why this series doesn't get more love around here.

8 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

Finished the last batch of episodes (including the series finale) and all I can say is wow. What a great job they did finishing this series. The writing, acting and scenery were just tremendous the whole way through. While I'm sad such a great series is over, the end was very satisfying.  Mystifies me why this series doesn't get more love around here.

No Marvel comic books to flip for big bucks