• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SDCC: After 48 years, the shocking downfall.
2 2

171 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I take it from your comment here that most of these raw early AMF Centaurs at SDCC are not as nice as the ones in the current Heritage Auction then?  hm

They were pretty nice. A tad under the heritage condition. 

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

What type of condition range are they generally in since I am surprised they would not even bother to slab them after all this time?  Any reason why you brought one this year and not last year, or is it that demand has picked up on these Centaurs with the recent auction activity?

Michael got amf 1/1 through 2/4 in the collection. 

Looked like he had kdf 1/8-2/10 in the collection 

and fps 1-7

star 2/1 (phantom rider cover) was there too 

avg condition of these was fn to fn/vf 

i wasnt at motor city con  last year so i only heard about them after Michael decided to slab and auction. He figured for sdcc he'd offer and then slab and auction later

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Just saying ... the loss of Chuck to me isn't dispositive.

No kidding. I'm not that eager to pay his mile high asking prices. Some decent eye candy though, at times.

12 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
23 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I take it from your comment here that most of these raw early AMF Centaurs at SDCC are not as nice as the ones in the current Heritage Auction then?  hm

They were pretty nice. A tad under the heritage condition. 

And I would assume not quite nice enough for the supposedly $5K+ asking price range that I am hearing that Michael is trying to get for the AMF's.  (shrug)

Wonder if the Heritage Auction results for the AMF Centaurs next month is only going to possibly result in a further upwards adjustment on his asking prices for these books here?  hm

9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

What was the price and approximate condition for his copy of AMF V2#2 if he had one there?  hm

That was not there. He told me he kept that one. Said it was a vg+

Hmm... interesting. My friend purchased the other raw AMF Vol 2 # 2  from Michael Goldman at the Motor City Comcon last year for $4k USD. The book has subsequently been certified by CGC Universal 7.0

Edited by eccomic

55 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

What was the price and approximate condition for his copy of AMF V2#2 if he had one there?  hm

That was not there. He told me he kept that one. Said it was a vg+

Well, that apparently seems to be one of the go to covers in the AMF run that almost everybody wants in their collection, along with AMF V1#3 and AMF Vol 2#5.  :luhv:

6 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

There's really no better selection this year than recent years. Addition of Reece comics was cool, but bunky bro didn't bring their normal set up of vintage , so that kind of offsets imo

rest is pretty much the same

that said, I'm not hearing "great" sales from anyone. In fact yesterday, Saturday , might have been the worst sat of sales since I can remember. Multiple dealers left and closed their booths early

I think what The Bunky Bros did was brilliant. I wasn't there but if I was, I'm sure I would have spent a TON of money in their booth by the way Doc Joe's photos looked. They are local so it wasn't as hard for them to bring affordable material for "the rest of us". For me to put up with that show I better go home with a stack of cool, fun stuff rather than blow it all on only a few books.

I used to save up a TON of money for that show so I am not a nickle/dime guy. But after looking at the prices in Doc's thread, I doubt I would have bought much. Also, the stuff I am looking for (Ace Comics, Speed, Catman, MLJ, Fox and other lessor publishers) looked to be in very short supply. And if they were there, I doubt I would pay the nosebleed prices that folks would have been asking.

I realize that most dealers travel across the country and have incredible expenses to set up here. Thus, you bring your best, at prices that reflect this. So what do people do? They scope the whole show then go back and buy a few books from a few select dealers. The rest of them miss this money. There are very few people spending 12 grand on a mid grade Phantom Lady #17 or Startling #49 (Metro). Granted, there are more than a few people where price is no object and that is what the dealers are counting on. If they don't come through, you write it off as a vacation and go home.

Me, there are MANY dealers there who never get my money at all. Not what I want, crazy prices, poor grading or just jerks to deal with. Then there are the other guys like Ritter, Bedrock, Jamie Graham, Terry, A-1, So Cal Comics, Bunky Bros and a few more I can't think of right now. That I gladly pull out my wallet and spend generously with. You gotta bring a little something for everyone at fair prices to have a sucessful show.

The stock was there. Plenty of it. The aisle were wide open in the comic pavilion most of the time I was there...it was the buyers that were missing. 

2 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

The stock was there. Plenty of it. The aisle were wide open in the comic pavilion most of the time I was there...it was the buyers that were missing. 

Believe me Rick, I would have LOVED to be there. Would love to meet you. I love your passion. But for the reasons I stated above and add the cost and hassle of getting a pass, a hotel, food and drink, lottery for parking and the throngs of people who could care less about comics, I just can't justify it any more. I am a somewhat of a local guy too. I am not alone. There are TONS of eager collectors like my self who have been shut out of a show that we were a large part of making it what is today. You would all have had a much better show sales wise if we were there...

16 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

still looking for great deal on Action 7 Fantasy 15

332d268fdfeb9739a37b188506af19f8.jpg

48 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Let's talk about the elephant in the room. 

I wonder if an aging audience/dealers has any play into it?

An example is maybe a more younger audience that goes to San Diego Con would be interested in NM #98,Walking Dead #1 and Incredible Hulk #181 than those golden age treasures?

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

2 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

An example is maybe a more younger audience that goes to San Diego Con would be interested in NM #98,Walking Dead #1 and Incredible Hulk #181 than those golden age treasures?

:whatthe:

37 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Believe me Rick, I would have LOVED to be there. Would love to meet you. I love your passion. But for the reasons I stated above and add the cost and hassle of getting a pass, a hotel, food and drink, lottery for parking and the throngs of people who could care less about comics, I just can't justify it any more. I am a somewhat of a local guy too. I am not alone. There are TONS of eager collectors like my self who have been shut out of a show that we were a large part of making it what is today. You would all have had a much better show sales wise if we were there...

I agree. It's a growing problem for the large conventions

30 minutes ago, woowoo said:

still looking for great deal on Action 7 Fantasy 15

332d268fdfeb9739a37b188506af19f8.jpg

Have both but the only thing great would be the price

4 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Virtually every dealer had those books available 

2 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Have both but the only thing great would be the price

:facepalm: Worth a try :whistle: Never know when you had a bad week (shrug). No hope you did well at the show (thumbsu