• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SDCC: After 48 years, the shocking downfall.
2 2

171 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:
3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Virtually every dealer had those books available 

That was the only theory I come up with.

I wonder why the sales are down than? 

If you are referring to NM 98, WD 1, and Hulk 181, the answer is very simple.

Virtually every collector who wants to have these books would already have one or more copies in their personal collection.  :gossip: 

1 hour ago, comicnoir said:

Michael sold the AMF 2/2 to me. I was the first to buy from this collection I believe. I have since sold my copy.

Why, you newbie GA flipper , you!!!  (tsk)  lol

All kidding aside, was it in the VG+ condition range that Rick was alluding to in an earlier post here?  hm

Hopefully, you was able to make some money on the quick turnaround of this book here?  :wishluck:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Why, you newbie GA flipper , you!!!  (tsk)  lol

All kidding aside, was it in the VG+ condition range that Rick was alluding to in an earlier post here?  hm

Hopefully, you was able to make some money on the quick turnaround of this book here?  :wishluck:

Ahem, I only sold it because I was offered a tidy profit. The person wanted it more than I. Michael graded it as 7.0. It was subsequently graded as such by CGC.

Edited by comicnoir

Couldn't justify SDCC this year; ...that makes the last two we've missed.  May go back next year because I like hanging with friends and have snapped up some primo GA over the six previous years.  That said, the San Diego hotel rates are just short of criminal during the con.  

It's better holding onto cash for next month's Chicago Wizard; besides, many of the folks I like to hang with make that one too. :tink:

3 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Ahem, I only sold it because I was offered a tidy profit. The person wanted it more than I. Michael graded it as 7.0. It was subsequently graded as such by CGC.

Oh yes, now I remember the post about the 7.0 copy of AMF V2#2:

8 hours ago, eccomic said:

Hmm... interesting. My friend purchased the other raw AMF Vol 2 # 2  from Michael Goldman at the Motor City Comcon last year for $4k USD. The book has subsequently been certified by CGC Universal 7.0

So, since you sold it for a "tidy profit" over your $4K purchase price, then I guess the CGC 8.0 graded copy in the current Heritage Auction must be relatively cheap and will most likely go for substantially more than its current price of over $4,300 including the juice. 

I wonder how much higher for such a classic cover and one of the best ones in the entire AMF run.  hm

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Terry O'Neil's one day show at the end of January is epic for wall candy and box digging. Nothing but GA to BA books and tons of them. Plus there is nothing like So Cal weather in the winter. There were many out of state dealers and collectors who showed up at the last show. All went home happy and said it was well worth the trip and a nice vacation.

When and where is this show? Do they have a website? I'm usually in CA in Jan.  Would like to check it out. 

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, maybe next month's Heritage Auction results might convince him to release yet another one of these Centaur batches.  :wishluck:

I think that was it...there were 55 I believe ...

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

So, since you sold it for a "tidy profit" over your $4K purchase price, then I guess the CGC 8.0 graded copy in the current Heritage Auction must be relatively cheap and will most likely go for substantially more than its current price of over $4,300 including the juice. 

I wonder how much higher for such a classic cover and one of the best ones in the entire AMF run.  hm

Umm....I DID not sell it or make a profit. The book was purchased by a friend of mine and I have never owned that particular book. I just want to make that perfectly clear.

Edited by eccomic

15 hours ago, aardvark88 said:
19 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

On a Saturday?? Whoa! 

the hardcore vintage comic collector would have already spent their load on the Wed, Thurs and Fri of SDCC. Sat. has always been known as too crowded with the sweaty hordes inside, so the collector/fans may have spent a day along the pier, lunch in Little Italy, or at Balboa Park with it's 18 museums. Also the masses would have been lining up outside for 3 to 4 hrs to attempt to access the media star :x interviews in monstrous Hall H, thus less consumer $$ on the floor except for those flippers lining up for Toy exclusives or creator signatures.

As a native Californian, I know that SD has a lot of attractions, but for some dealers to decide that Saturday of SDCC is the time to partake of those attractions seems a bit lacking in ye olde entrepreneurial spirit.  

25 minutes ago, eccomic said:

Umm....I DID not sell it or make a profit. The book was purchased by a friend of mine and I have never owned that particular book. I just want to make that perfectly clear.

Thought johnny###? From the boards got it?

2 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

When and where is this show? Do they have a website? I'm usually in CA in Jan.  Would like to check it out. 

http://www.calcomiccon.com/

Rick, call the hotel for convention rates.  The hotel rooms are truly deluxe with jacuzzis and gigantic free breakfast in the morning.  Hotel rate is one third SDCC rates.

3 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Rick there is a post in events. It is only one day and not a huge show. But it is packed with great stuff. Junk drawer and buttock came from the east coast and had a blast. As well as other dealers from all over the country. Last Sunday in Jan I believe. It is one of only a couple shows I sell at all year. There were several new collections that came in last time. If you are out here, would be well worth it. Would love to meet you face to face.

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

As a native Californian, I know that SD has a lot of attractions, but for some dealers to decide that Saturday of SDCC is the time to partake of those attractions seems a bit lacking in ye olde entrepreneurial spirit.  

There was only one dealer who packed up on Saturday, and I spoke to him about it - he had a flight to catch for some other business, so planned all along to to leave early. He allowed his neighbor at the con to expand to his booth for the rest of the show.

For someone else (not you, Tony) to give an impression that dealers were fleeing the show because it was so terrible is completely untrue (Sunday was a banner day for us). 

Just now, Robot Man said:

Rick there is a post in events. It is only one day and not a huge show. But it is packed with great stuff. Junk drawer and buttock came from the east coast and had a blast. As well as other dealers from all over the country. Last Sunday in Jan I believe. It is one of only a couple shows I sell at all year. There were several new collections that came in last time. If you are out here, would be well worth it. Would love to meet you face to face.

I just watched a youtube walk through from last year. Looks small but full of what we are there for. Very nice. 

5 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I found the site last night.  There are some videos of the show as well.  I think there may have been a Roy cameo in one of the videos.  Looks like a fun show.

http://www.calcomiccon.com/

4 hours ago, eccomic said:
9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

My bad as your post was just part of a nested quote with my comment really directed towards eccomic and not to you. 

Will still be fun to see how much higher the CGC 8.0 copy will go for on Heritage anyways since I've always considered the V2#2 to be one of the best covers in the entire AMF run.  hm

12 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Man, totally disrespectful and rude. Totally shows what they think of the history of their "Comic Con" and those of us who love the medium. Trouble is, they have shown what they are and really don't care. Roger Hill is a pillar in fandom. 

I attended that panel too, and although the abrupt shutdown was jarring and seemed rude, I think the room attendant had previously held up the sign indicating 5 minutes remaining.

There was no panel after this one so it seems like they could have gone on longer but the staff probably had instructions to clear everyone out and lock the doors by a certain time.

2 hours ago, sacentaur said:
4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

There was only one dealer who packed up on Saturday, and I spoke to him about it - he had a flight to catch for some other business, so planned all along to to leave early. He allowed his neighbor at the con to expand to his booth for the rest of the show.

For someone else (not you, Tony) to give an impression that dealers were fleeing the show because it was so terrible is completely untrue (Sunday was a banner day for us). 

Ah, ok.  That makes sense.

11 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

There really is nothing better than listening to a bunch of old guys whining about how great things used to be. Heck, it got a insufficiently_thoughtful_person into the White House.

It's offset by my kids talking about how lame things must have been in the old days! :)