• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MARVEL GENERATIONS: A new beginning, or finally the end of Marvel
1 1

83 posts in this topic

Anybody looking forward to this? 

Anybody not looking forward to this?

It seems recently they were pointing poor sales on the established characters being replaced with 'new, updated' versions of themselves, because we weren't buying it.   We were to blame.

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/marvel-comics-blames-fans-low-sales-not-themselves

If sales are bad on many of those titles, do you find it odd they keep trying to make the readers accept these replacement versions of Legacy characters?  Is Marvel Generations going to flop?   

Marvel has no one to blame but themselves. They could have gradually introduced these new characters and they 
would have succeeded, but instead they shove them down our throats and tell us this is it now. I can spend my 
money elsewhere and plan to tell Marvel that at a convention soon.

Edited by fastballspecial

I'll be saving some money, I don't want to bother with Generations.

It has taken everything in my power to hand over money to Nick Spencer, and his Cap Hydra stuff (I can't wait till this is over).   Maybe I can take the money I save each month, and go out and by some Silver Age I am missing. 

I still have Daredevil.  They have yet to 'update' him.  I guess being blind is enough.  

9 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I just buy Amazing Spider-man then binge read on the Unlimited Ap.

Makes sense. In the past couple of years, I have dwindled down my pull list to one marvel book (Uncanny Avengers) and I am just riding that one out to the end.

Basically when a title gets cancelled or renumbered I just didn't renew my pull list.

I have always been a huge X-Men fan, but just can't commit any longer.

I wait until books go on sale on comiXology, but I have been thinking about Marvel Unlimited as well.

I don't collect any Marvels, but I read a few in the Unlimited App. I'd check these out there, but have no reason to own physical copies. Meanwhile, my longtime Batman, Wonder Woman and Hellblazer collections insure that DC still gets a few bucks from me every month.

4 hours ago, Magneto said:

Makes sense. In the past couple of years, I have dwindled down my pull list to one marvel book (Uncanny Avengers) and I am just riding that one out to the end.

Basically when a title gets cancelled or renumbered I just didn't renew my pull list.

I have always been a huge X-Men fan, but just can't commit any longer.

I wait until books go on sale on comiXology, but I have been thinking about Marvel Unlimited as well.

I think a fair amount of the stuff is ok, I like DD, Ms Marvel, GOTG, X-23 and there's some others.  And out of the 'diversity' replacements, only the new Hulk and Sam Wilson Cap are really TERRRIBBBLLEEE.  Not-Thor and Lady Thor are both pretty good reads, both Spideys are aight, but could be better.   I actually liked the Civil War II more than I thought. 

So I think there's too much content to keep track of, especially for buying monthlies, with this reboot,  new series, and that character change, and these crossovers, etc.  And the price point is pretty rough.  For $400 I can get an Ipad AND a years worth of Marvel Unlimited, vs about 90 brand new comics.  Which is not to say it isn't great to read physical comics in your hand, it is. For me at least, not being too young.  But for the kindle generation...well let me say it was great reading Civil War 2 and then just having all the complementary and auxiallry and crossover comics available at my fingertips with Marvel Unlimited.

17 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I'll be saving some money, I don't want to bother with Generations.

It has taken everything in my power to hand over money to Nick Spencer, and his Cap Hydra stuff (I can't wait till this is over).   Maybe I can take the money I save each month, and go out and by some Silver Age I am missing. 

I still have Daredevil.  They have yet to 'update' him.  I guess being blind is enough.  

^^

1 hour ago, 500Club said:

I admit it.  I'm to blame.  I don't buy things I don't want.:sorry:

And yet Marvel continues to force feed us.  "Oh you will like this....you will accept this....you will submit".   They are going to crash and burn the print side of things. 

I think they thought the 'diversity' wave would attract more new readers than they lost, and that the new readers would be younger and/or previously untapped and provide a larger base for the future moving forward.  Obviously, they were wrong about a great many things, which has resulted in poor sales.  They've only got half of the equation right, they lost some of the readers they had.

I think they definitely read the tea leaves wrong.  the popularity of Ms Marvel I think gave the false impression that they needed to diversify EVERYTHING.  It was fresh and it was good, and the diversity aspects added to it, but the 'fun factor' was the biggest driver.  They probably could have walked everything else out a bit slower.  And while Cap America for sure needed a makeover (as nobody was buying it), he didn't need to be Sam Wilson.  I think Sam should have become an Inhuman, with some weird ironically non-falcon related powers, that would have been way more compelling.  Call him the Inhuman Falcon or something.  Can we all agree on something though?  Art on Captain America has just been AWFUL for the past 20-30 years, which I think has been a part of its downfall.  Ron Lim was average, McNiven was a touch above average, and they were the best since the 70's.  Everything else has been awful, including Sam Wilson's Cap.

the new kid Nova should literally have been a kids title called Kid Nova, and should not have replaced Rich Rider Nova.  They could have teamed them up even, and had Kid Nova groomed like a Green Lantern or something.

2 hours ago, revat said:

I think they thought the 'diversity' wave would attract more new readers than they lost, and that the new readers would be younger and/or previously untapped and provide a larger base for the future moving forward.  Obviously, they were wrong about a great many things, which has resulted in poor sales.  They've only got half of the equation right, they lost some of the readers they had.

I think they definitely read the tea leaves wrong.  the popularity of Ms Marvel I think gave the false impression that they needed to diversify EVERYTHING.  It was fresh and it was good, and the diversity aspects added to it, but the 'fun factor' was the biggest driver.  They probably could have walked everything else out a bit slower.  And while Cap America for sure needed a makeover (as nobody was buying it), he didn't need to be Sam Wilson.  I think Sam should have become an Inhuman, with some weird ironically non-falcon related powers, that would have been way more compelling.  Call him the Inhuman Falcon or something.  Can we all agree on something though?  Art on Captain America has just been AWFUL for the past 20-30 years, which I think has been a part of its downfall.  Ron Lim was average, McNiven was a touch above average, and they were the best since the 70's.  Everything else has been awful, including Sam Wilson's Cap.

the new kid Nova should literally have been a kids title called Kid Nova, and should not have replaced Rich Rider Nova.  They could have teamed them up even, and had Kid Nova groomed like a Green Lantern or something.

Cap was doing  well too.  The Brubaker stuff was real good.   The movies are awesome.  And now they give us bad art, and bad creative teams.  I actually had no problem with Sam Wilson taking over for awhile.   But the way Spencer is pushing his Social Agenda on Cap is just awful, and using the Cosmic Cube as an out, is just lazy.      If Miles Morales went back to his other Universe, that would suit me fine.  It's 'amazing' how important Marvel is trying to make him and yet his books sell 1/2 the units as Peter Parker. 

Just now, Mercury Man said:

Cap was doing  well too.  The Brubaker stuff was real good.   The movies are awesome.  And now they give us bad art, and bad creative teams.  I actually had no problem with Sam Wilson taking over for awhile.   But the way Spencer is pushing his Social Agenda on Cap is just awful, and using the Cosmic Cube as an out, is just lazy.      If Miles Morales went back to his other Universe, that would suit me fine.  It's 'amazing' how important Marvel is trying to make him and yet his books sell 1/2 the units as Peter Parker. 

I don't mind having Miles in this universe, but they probably should have gone with a name change and let him develop under his own thing and occasionally spidey team up.  Spider-boy? Black Spider?

I've been on the newest Deadpool ongoing since #1 and I've felt like it's held up pretty good. I don't feel obligated to continue to buy the next issue. I enjoy them. 

Spiderman/Deadpool has been a lot of fun too. 

I dropped the Punisher after issue 10. Other than that, I've had my head in the clouds when it comes to this social drama Marvel has had going on. 

25 minutes ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

I've been on the newest Deadpool ongoing since #1 and I've felt like it's held up pretty good. I don't feel obligated to continue to buy the next issue. I enjoy them. 

Spiderman/Deadpool has been a lot of fun too. 

I dropped the Punisher after issue 10. Other than that, I've had my head in the clouds when it comes to this social drama Marvel has had going on. 

Smart man.   Daredevil is the same way.  No meddling with the rest of this stuff.  Pretty much a stand alone title.   I will probably be down to 3 books soon.  (Amazing Spiderman, Peter Parker Spiderman, and Daredevil).   Either of those Spideys will be close to the chopping block soon though, I am sure of it. 

1 hour ago, maidenmate91 said:
2 hours ago, revat said:

I don't mind having Miles in this universe, but they probably should have gone with a name change and let him develop under his own thing and occasionally spidey team up.  Spider-boy? Black Spider?

:roflmao:I'm sure that would go over great..... not! 

Like Black Lighting or Black Goliath.  Brown Spider?

Ultimate Spider? Spider-kid?  Kid Spider?  Kid Venom?  Red Spider is my favorite one, but that's pretty close to Scarlet Spider.  Web Master? Super Web? Shadow Spider?