• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,040 posts in this topic

Now, just when you thought you were safe... you know ‘ole Robot Man wouldn’t let you off with just mere funny books.

This cool item was a gift from Annie Gaines. It was used for a gift for MAD staffers at a breakfast meeting. Only one I’ve seen.

AEE20FB5-C72F-4C92-AABF-7013D63B459C.jpeg

0E0643A7-567B-4454-9F51-A51DBF8C5372.jpeg

BFD4B169-E8D4-4819-87FC-BE5E07ADD9E5.jpeg

Nice stuff Pop! Man, if you are ever in LA on a weekend, we just gotta go junking. Love the Cigar Box. I have a few of them myself that I have scrounged up over the years. I hesitated to post any valentines but maybe later tonight. I have some for the "men in tights" crowd. (Superman and Wonder Woman from 1940) as well as some cool victorian ones with zepplins, airplanes and motorcycles. 

10 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Nice stuff Pop! Man, if you are ever in LA on a weekend, we just gotta go junking. Love the Cigar Box. I have a few of them myself that I have scrounged up over the years. I hesitated to post any valentines but maybe later tonight. I have some for the "men in tights" crowd. (Superman and Wonder Woman from 1940) as well as some cool victorian ones with zepplins, airplanes and motorcycles. 

That sounds just like my kind of itinerary. If I ever get around to visiting my nephew who's a transplant to Orange County, I may very well take you up on that. Between our honed eyes, nary a cigar box nor motorcycle tin toy would stand a chance.

As for the valentines, throw a few faves up - I'd love to see them. I have a stack of keepers from the Victorian era to about the 60's where too many things took a nosedive (hey, I like Bernie Fuchs, but I do prefer Whitcomb and Sundblom).  Anyway, I like cutesy ones like this:

16557599.ec8872fe.640.jpg

And this, with all the cheesy puns:

16557785.51d39591.640.jpg

To the slightly weirder ones like these:

35378501.c83fdb90.640.jpg

We got big flea markets every weekend here year round. Pickings are getting slimmer and slimmer but if you get there, early, move fast and know a few of the right people...

Love the "weirder" valentine. Who would have thought of such a thing and even more weird, who would buy it? The first two remind me of being a kid and getting those in school.