• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,107 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Is the new MAD relaunch #1 out yet? I want one for sure!

I thought it was for the thirteenth but it's April 18.My local comic store isn't stocking it for some reason(they told me subscription holders only?I would have pulled it for six months to try,but not available),so I will have to find a mag shop with it.

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Surfing and skateboarding are king out here. Here’s a nice selection...

79CB420E-64AF-4BBB-8CBF-9CA1495A2DA3.jpeg

Being a Midwestern boy, born and raised, I still harbor a fascination with California from the surf boom to the skateboard boom - case in point, I still can't turn off a radio with a Beach Boys song playing, and I think I watch parts of Lords of Dogtown once a month.  :cloud9:

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Here are the fruits of my labors. Had a good day with lots of good deals. Just another day of fun in the CA sunshine...

3B0375AD-B81C-4ACB-839E-D83EA5C5243E.jpeg

That Death of Superman top left has always been one of my favorites from that era. The JLA next to it ain't too shabby either.  Good pick-ups on the day! (thumbsu

17 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Here are the fruits of my labors. Had a good day with lots of good deals. Just another day of fun in the CA sunshine...

3B0375AD-B81C-4ACB-839E-D83EA5C5243E.jpeg

Flash of Two Worlds is a great pickup!! Siegel wrote Death of Superman, which is one reason it is so good. And a JLA crossover is also a great score. That's no pile to sneeze at right there.

From a dollars and cents perspective it was a great score. From collecting from my point of view, they don't excite me all that much. I already have most of the them and haven't looked at them in years. Anything you can easily find on the internet or at a con kinda leaves me cold. I much prefer the challenge of scarcer, earlier stuff. Don't get me wrong, it was a thrill to find these and well worth getting up early for. Real hard to find what I want anywhere and that is the thrill of the hunt for me. 

12 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Being a Midwestern boy, born and raised, I still harbor a fascination with California from the surf boom to the skateboard boom - case in point, I still can't turn off a radio with a Beach Boys song playing, and I think I watch parts of Lords of Dogtown once a month.  :cloud9:

This culture is real big here and always was. Even though the equipment has changed, the passion is still strong. Some of these boards go for real big money as do early surfboards. I have found that skateboards from the Dogtown era go for even more. The kids are buying these as well as vintage vinyl records for good money. I'm always on the lookout for these and sell them as fast as I can find them.

Thanks Hap. Wow, could that cover be any worse? What a money grab all the way around. I literally have every issue of the original but am done. It's a wonder it hung around as long as it did. Insides any better? I think the only way I will get that is if it comes to me via my subscription which ends now. Gaines, Feldstein, Freas, Mingo and the rest of the usual gang of i dots are probably rolling in their graves...:facepalm:

OK, so. I came home, got the mail, and what did I find? A subscription copy of MAD #1. A better cover I guess. My mom would have just loved it... (not). Have to say, after a quick flip through I like it a little better. Same artists and features. Nice tribute to Gaines when you open it up. Lots of tributes to the guys that made it great. Fun to see a re-drawn tribute to Bill Elder on the EC “Starchie” as a lead in to ”Riverdull”. OK I guess but on obvious money grab. We will see where it goes but I’m through buying it.

567469E6-50D2-47CD-AE10-47C6E830E9DA.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

OK, so. I came home, got the mail, and what did I find? A subscription copy of MAD #1. A better cover I guess. My mom would have just loved it... (not). Have to say, after a quick flip through I like it a little better. Same artists and features. Nice tribute to Gaines when you open it up. Lots of tributes to the guys that made it great. Fun to see a re-drawn tribute to Bill Elder on the EC “Starchie” as a lead in to ”Riverdull”. OK I guess but on obvious money grab. We will see where it goes but I’m through buying it.

567469E6-50D2-47CD-AE10-47C6E830E9DA.jpeg

Never saw that cover.  Awesome.

17 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Old trophies are so cool if they didn't take up so much room !!! do you have a huge house?

Pretty big since my kids left. I don't have very many though. Not many are this large. I mostly sell them when I find them. This was a nice one and she wanted quite a bit for it so I passed.