• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,107 posts in this topic

Today, I feature one of my favorites Thimk Magazine. Starting in 1958 here are all 6, issues. At issue #4 they developed their own mascot Otis Dracenstein. A funny Frankenstein monster. As you can see, monsters were a big thing in those days and even the humor mags picked up on it. My favorite is the last issue with Otis, Marlon Brando and others at Cluck's "Pop stand" show.  Just crazy stuff!

comthimk1.jpg

comthimk2.jpg

comthimk3.jpg

comthimk4.jpg

comthimk5.jpg

comthimk6.jpg

Edited by Robot Man

OK, satire lovers, this post officially ends my trip down MAD imatator lane.

These are the one shots or mags that I can only find issue #1 of. Might be more but I haven't seen them. Of special note is Shook up #1 with the obvious refrence to Elvis Presley and an early Walking Dead refrence, Crazy with a rip off of not only MAD but Esquire Magazine as well and Nuts #1 well, just because it is nuts and I like it...

comcrazy1.jpg

comfooey1.jpg

comnuts1.jpg

comshookup1.jpg

comblast1.jpg

Hi Robot Man,

I'd like to share something with you and the boardies as a dedication to this thread. After years of hunting and having asked everywhere and everyone I eventually lucked out and got a reply to a permanent qualified ad of mine and were able to purchase this advertising poster -- one of my duck "grail" covers. It later became prominent as a litho called "Sailing the Spanish Main". It's also supposed to be the first theme Barks had performed for a fan, Glenn Bray, if I'm not mistaken, in oil (in some variations to follow up for other fans).

It's folded twice but nevertheless beautiful and it's a "Gerber 10".

Enjoy

/P.

490175438_MM-AnkndigungsplakatNr.7von1953.jpeg.f11cc6a874464bf53f386980f08d4c90.jpeg

Carl Barks, Sailing the Spanish Main, 1949 (Newsstand poster, 1953)

As to the dimensions: 

20180617_103049.thumb.jpg.0bf4db45913d250f1e9069055f404d51.jpg

Edited by Pickie

Great collection of Mad imitators Bob; of course nothing beats the original! It does give a sense of how stiff the competition was back then on the newstands as everyone was trying to move books. The Harvey Kurtzman biography makes this clear as Harvey couldn't even compete with the juggernaut he had created as he waited for lighting to strike twice. No luck though.

18 hours ago, Pickie said:

Hi Robot Man,

I'd like to share something with you and the boardies as a dedication to this thread. After years of hunting and having asked everywhere and everyone I eventually lucked out and got a reply to a permanent qualified ad of mine and were able to purchase this advertising poster -- one of my duck "grail" covers. It later became prominent as a litho called "Sailing the Spanish Main". It's also supposed to be the first theme Barks had performed for a fan, Glenn Bray, if I'm not mistaken, in oil (in some variations to follow up for other fans).

It's folded twice but nevertheless beautiful and it's a "Gerber 10".

Enjoy

/P.

490175438_MM-AnkndigungsplakatNr.7von1953.jpeg.f11cc6a874464bf53f386980f08d4c90.jpeg

Carl Barks, Sailing the Spanish Main, 1949 (Newsstand poster, 1953)

As to the dimensions: 

20180617_103049.thumb.jpg.0bf4db45913d250f1e9069055f404d51.jpg

Very cool piece! What country is it from?

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Very cool piece! What country is it from?

Most likely from Austria. Switzerland or Germany are also possible, even the "Saarland" ("Saar Protectorate": from 1947 to 1956, the "Saarland" was a French-occupied territory) is possible (history on those advertising posters hasn't been explored yet). Danish publisher "Egmont" got the copyrights for those countries and started distribution in 1951.

Edited by Pickie

Set up at the antique flea market with my old guy comic collector friend yesterday. I usually bring toys, advertising, old sports memorabilia ect but not comics. In the past, they haven’t done very well there. Since my pal was bringing some, I figured way not bring a few boxes? I also brought some pulps and old MAD magazines. Well, I was VERY surprised! I barely got the boxes out and was hit with a crowd. We couldn’t take the money fast enough. It took me over an hour to get to putting out my regular stuff. I didn’t figure anybody out there would pay up for the better stuff so I left the better box in the car. Well, it got hit hard too. I sold books from $5. on up to $250. All day long there was at least somebody looking and buying. I guess being the only ones with GA and SA paid off. A lot better than when I set up at a local con where there is a lot of competition. Two thirds of my sales were comics. Although, I sold a couple nice signs, a few expensive toys and a couple early baseball items, comics were king. I even sold a small group of Big Little Books That were lousy titles in low grade that I got out of a local house sale after picking out a few good ones.

Got to hang out both boardie dreamtoreal1 and a couple local boardies. Great guys. If you do Instagram, go check Pablo’s page. He shot a little video of my stuff.

GREAT day but I am pretty beat today...

D09A6E68-A576-4BA5-B3F0-79383C1AADA6.jpeg

8F2D23DB-7B28-4CB7-A439-11363F3B8F3E.jpeg

CA6BD9A5-C574-47B9-9678-AB3B8CB5BC4E.jpeg

49 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Traded off a pile of SA swill I didn’t want to my booth buddy for these. Went home with pockets stuffed with cash and these. Not bad for a day at the junk show...

D8073C15-24BA-48BF-805F-1929D5921044.jpeg

Wow!! These are KILLER! Avon one-shot, EC's with Wood and Davis, Atlas, crime, romance - even a war bonds cover. Who needs men-in-tights anyway? You did very well, I'd say. :applause:

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:00 PM, Robot Man said:

OK, satire lovers, this post officially ends my trip down MAD imatator lane.

These are the one shots or mags that I can only find issue #1 of. Might be more but I haven't seen them. Of special note is Shook up #1 with the obvious refrence to Elvis Presley and an early Walking Dead refrence, Crazy with a rip off of not only MAD but Esquire Magazine as well and Nuts #1 well, just because it is nuts and I like it...

comfooey1.jpg

That "Shook Up" is just so wonderfully dated. I've never seen it before. No doubt I would've snapped it up if I had. And good call on the lettering on that early version of "Crazy": it does remind me of "Esquire!"

I think there were four issues in all of Fooey. Here's issue number 3:

46866698.ebdf544d.800.jpg

41 minutes ago, Dreamtoreal1 said:

Got these beauties and more! from @Robot Manyesterday at the Antique flea market

thanks ??so much for the good deals Bob  ? and the shoutout

was fun!

3A91575B-3EA7-4DE3-99C3-15B365C53917.jpeg

8F9034AE-1807-4B2D-82EA-64FCE4000447.jpeg

9FF52D4C-F202-4209-91AC-F552FC9E4BFA.jpeg

24CBAF12-21DE-4C6D-B699-1A79FCF57FE0.jpeg

43F46C13-E3EA-4E80-8FE2-6B748AE1CD3F.jpeg

05D2ABD5-8C73-49A0-AC59-E173872F7DBD.jpeg

Hey Pablo, great to see you yesterday and thanks for taking those beaters off my hands! :baiting: Thanks as well for sending your buddy over as well. He bought quite the pile. By the way, David got the Black Phantom. He was sorry to be late to the party. He kept pimping me as to what you got but I wouldn't tell him. I knew one of you guys would grab it. Great book.