• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,107 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Robot Man said:

He assured me that this con will be back next year and bigger. Maybe two days?

There were promo flyers at the registration desk that said July 14th, 2019. I'm hoping they expand into a bigger ballroom and get the show out of the dungeon.

12 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Pablo is a great guy. He is a self named “investor”. I’m trying to turn him to the dark side and keep a few. He really appreciates the books as well as just selling them. Younger guys like Pablo are the future of this hobby and it is in great hands.

thanks for the kind words Bob. Good to see you yesterday! and thanks for a great report as always. See ya on the next one

Robot Man,

Great write up as usual.  Also great comments from fellow boardies.

How many dealers showed up? How long did it take for a leisurely stroll through the dealer room?  I am thinking of flying down just for the day and flying out soon afterwards.

16 hours ago, Robot Man said:

My reflections...

Lots iof eager buyers that no longer go to SDCC. I literally heard it everywhere and the dealers know it. Expect to see a lot of big dealers quit SDCC in the next couple of years.

The guys that brought the right stuff at fair prices all did real well and have said they will be back here next year. John had to turn away a lot of dealers for lack of space. There are always a few whiners but they were in the minority.

I easily did as well here that I would have done at any other big show. Never enough money...

This is the future of comic book cons. Embrace it!

There will be other dealers replacing them at SDCC, just look at Bud Plant, he used to have 8 tables. I agree however that the future of a true comic book collector con is the 1/2 day show. I hope they improve the hours and location..Sat is a much better day and add at least 4 hours to the show and it can really grow, so hopefully you can get input to torpedo for next year. SDCC has shut out a lot people, so there is a need for that to counterbalance the effect. I find that Wonder Con has taken its place, it still feels like a comic book convention, 3 days and not too small and not too big, with a little room still to grow. Thank you for your outstanding report as usual and Cong on your great buys...

It was as a great one day show that felt like you were back in a 1980s hotel con.  All comics and OA (two separate rooms) and serious buyers. No issues bumping into cosplayers. There was only one media presence, and that was for Carbo and Anthony’s weekly Selling Heroes show.  It was great to see Loboagain, Pacific Rim Lance, Miller, CW, Danielle, Roy, Sacentaur, and several others. Special thanks to John D. of Torpedo comics for putting this together. 

Edited by Primetime

5 hours ago, oceans11 said:

Few other things I picked up 

from Terry’s Comics, Hill’s Comics, and Superworld. 

There were lots of great sellers there and definitely more comics that I wanted to pick up but had to stay within budget. Prices wavered between dealers with some really good buys if you were willing to hunt for them. My opinion was it was really a great show and would be good to see them expand it next year . I’m not doing SDCC (said “never again” in 2008), so this show was a much better alternative. 

7FA1A418-8600-4114-90D1-A5803F867EB7.jpeg

66D49A24-68EB-494A-9EB8-C507511756E9.jpeg

Nice grabs Oceans!  The Exciting and Master are  :x

4 hours ago, sacentaur said:

There were promo flyers at the registration desk that said July 14th, 2019. I'm hoping they expand into a bigger ballroom and get the show out of the dungeon.

Yeah, it sure was a weird layout in the comic section and lousy lighting. John was talking about expanding next time in a better room.

3 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

Robot Man,

Great write up as usual.  Also great comments from fellow boardies.

How many dealers showed up? How long did it take for a leisurely stroll through the dealer room?  I am thinking of flying down just for the day and flying out soon afterwards.

Hi Ray. It took me most of the day to get through all the GA boxes and a lot of socialization. I went through everything including a few under or behind the table "special" boxes. I would say a little over maybe 20 dealers? But nearly every one was a quality dealer. Maybe two or three I didn't check out for various reasons. You could easily do this show in a day. But then, there was the art show too...

2 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

There will be other dealers replacing them at SDCC, just look at Bud Plant, he used to have 8 tables. I agree however that the future of a true comic book collector con is the 1/2 day show. I hope they improve the hours and location..Sat is a much better day and add at least 4 hours to the show and it can really grow, so hopefully you can get input to torpedo for next year. SDCC has shut out a lot people, so there is a need for that to counterbalance the effect. I find that Wonder Con has taken its place, it still feels like a comic book convention, 3 days and not too small and not too big, with a little room still to grow. Thank you for your outstanding report as usual and Cong on your great buys...

I specifically heard two major dealers tell me that they are just about done with SDCC. I doubt they will be replaced by other comic book dealers when they leave. We are not talking less tables, we are talking giving up the show as dealers. Bud Plant had 8 tables, how many did Chuckie have? Guess what? They are now gone. Gone for good. It might take a few years, but SDCC is rapidly becoming a non destination for vintage comic book fans. 

I think the location for the Torpedo show is fine. It accomodates out of towners flying in easily. Maybe another hotel with better rooms and lighting. Two days are OK I guess. One solid day of a show this size is fine with me. As a dealer the second day could be a bit of a waste as most of the money is spent in day one. A lot of people work, have family obligations or chores to do on Saturday is why most shows are on a Sunday.

WonderCon is a decent show but not a great show. A bit like SDCC on a smaller scale. Still way too many non-comic booths for my liking. The GA/SA "pavilion" is only just a few small rows. I can easily do what I want to do (buy comics) in one day tops at WonderCon. Torpedo and Terry's show are FAR better if you are a comic book buyer or seller. And FYI, next year's WonderCon is the same weekend as the Chicago C2E show. This means most if not all eastern and midwest dealers will be doing it instead of WonderCon. I suspect this also includes Terry and Harley. Could be very few good GA comic book dealers there which will really suck.

You really have to attend one of these smaller shows instead of just the "Comic Con International" family of shows before you judge. 

Terry's was a great venue and i will make it to Torpedo next year i have not been to SDCC in eighteen years.I don't miss the crazy stuff and the crowds with that one i just can't deal with it anymore :smile:

Edited by comicjack

The show was brief, concise and to the point. Comic books.Thumbs up to John and his crew, they are to be commended for a well intended and easily attended affair. Very reasonable room rates for those who planned in advance, discounted parking, affordable show cost for both dealers and collectors. Amazing selections of quality merchandise for even the most finicky of collectors concerning artwork and comics. There was good and positive energy from most everyone there. 

Tales to Astonish 022-028.jpg

21 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Also ran into Gus from Silver Age comics out of NY. A great gut that I haven’t seen since I stopped going to SDCC. Also a fun surprise. He was sharing a booth with my good friend Ron Murray. Ron is recovering from a bad leg problem. Glad to see you looking good buddy! He was joined by the one and only Carbo!

27996530-9E55-4EAA-90D3-64A0AAE57894.jpeg

This guy's wall books are a thing of beauty! A Debbi's Dates #1, several A Date With Debbi books, and two Our Love Story books right in the middle just waiting to get ogled and purchased. Maybe more suitable for Silver or Bronze threads, but beautiful either way.

1 hour ago, electricprune said:

This guy's wall books are a thing of beauty! A Debbi's Dates #1, several A Date With Debbi books, and two Our Love Story books right in the middle just waiting to get ogled and purchased. Maybe more suitable for Silver or Bronze threads, but beautiful either way.

I noticed those also , along with the pink cover "Romantic Secrets" !!

Romance comics are a great genre !

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I would say a little over maybe 20 dealers? But nearly every one was a quality dealer. Maybe two or three I didn't check out for various reasons. 

Metropolis and Carbo were the only booths I didn't visit, both were dead every time I walked by anyway.

Fantastic array of dealers - Harley, Dale, Superworld Ted, Bedrock, Bob Storms, Terry O', Brad F/VF, Worldwide, Silver Comics, etc. A bonus to see their SDCC stock before that show, too!

12 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Metropolis and Carbo were the only booths I didn't visit, both were dead every time I walked by anyway.

Fantastic array of dealers - Harley, Dale, Superworld Ted, Bedrock, Bob Storms, Terry O', Brad F/VF, Worldwide, Silver Comics, etc. A bonus to see their SDCC stock before that show, too!

I peeked into Metro and Carbo but they really didn't bring much of anything to sell. They are folks I don't do much if any biz with anyway. Surprisingly, Terry didn't bring much and Jamie Graham wasn't even there. I think they very much underestimated this show. A real lost opportunity for them. And what was up with My Comic Shop? They had 3 tables and brought nothing! They were just "pimping" their mail order biz. Disappointing. No CGC presence but the "other guys" we're there. I did see Matt Nelson cruising the floor. 

I think a lot of dealers missed the boat on this one and were a little surprised at the presence of a lot of eager buyers. Would have been nice to see a few more good out of state dealers with stock manning these tables. Pretty much all the dealers I went to SDCC were there. A great first try and it will even get better next year I bet.

I heard Jamie Graham was there on Sat setup, but he had to leave unexpectedly.

I had no idea what was going on with My Comic Shop, that was weird.

I did get a chance to chat with Matt Nelson, we had fun. I call him the "Godfather" now because there always is a line of people to see him (kissing his hand is optional!). :)