• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,075 posts in this topic

On 7/16/2018 at 6:31 AM, HENRYSPENCER said:

Did the hotel have any additional ballrooms that could have been used if they wanted to expand?  If they move it to a 2 or 3-day show, I will fly out there next year.  I like conventions at hotels because it's easier to get around.

There seemed to be 2 other conventions happening on the Hilton LAX's mezzanine level that had good lighting and fresh non-basement level air. The air on the 5th floor of 6 underground parking was particularly humid and stale.

A dealer/collector from Vancouver, BC flew down to attend the OA side of this show. He has not :/ been at SDCC or Wondercon in over 25 years. I was amazed to see him chatting/buying at a 1 day show in the USA.

Woody wagons are pretty fun and the surfer vintage cars were probably pretty beat up by the time they got converted into beach wagons. It took a lot of work to maintain a woody in nice shape.

Earlier this summer over at the Lacy Park Concours in San Marino I saw perhaps the nicest woody I had ever seen. It was of course restored but it wasn't the restoration that caught my eye but rather the original design details on the car. It was an early forties Chrysler Town and Country Highlander.  The interior details were simply stunning with a Scottish motif used for the interior fabric in keeping with the Highlander name. One wonders if this car was rescued from surf duty or had been cared for over the years. Either way these woodies are big fun and quite the site to behold in person.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Got an upgrade of this one. Made me think of another subset... I believe I also have a Plastic Man steam roller cover but am too lazy to dig it out right now. If anyone has it, please post it as well as any other ones, I've missed.

commarvelmystery64.JPG

Cool sub-set RM! And nice upgrade.

I believe there's a Target Comics issue with a Hitler cover that would fit in here too. Alas, I don't have a copy. But I'm sure @walclark does...