• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,074 posts in this topic

I went on Saturday.  I was interested in that Tec #69 but I guess I was too late.  It was an interesting show to visit for the $10 admission but the vast majority of everything there was far too esoteric for my tastes and I'd say the average age was around 65.  I think its very cool that things like this show still exist but I can't say its something I would want or need to attend again. 

Carbo wasn't there but Dave Arnold was.  

I think its great that we have people like you on the boards sharing your perspective.  You talking up the show is at least 50% of the reason why I went, though I don't think I stuck around for more than 30 minutes. 

Glad you did well!

29 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

My humble booth. I bring a wide variety of stuff priced from $5.00 to  $500.00. Kept selling stuff and bringing more out from under the table.

What an awesome booth!

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

My humble booth. I bring a wide variety of stuff priced from $5.00 to  $500.00. Kept selling stuff and bringing more out from under the table.

7642BDD9-623C-4FBB-9EF7-90C9AD92381C.jpeg

Frankenstein bottom center; Puzzle in a can. Early-mid 70's. Had it. Also I think I had the Dracula one, too. (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

1 hour ago, dem1138 said:

I went on Saturday.  I was interested in that Tec #69 but I guess I was too late.  It was an interesting show to visit for the $10 admission but the vast majority of everything there was far too esoteric for my tastes and I'd say the average age was around 65.  I think its very cool that things like this show still exist but I can't say its something I would want or need to attend again. 

Carbo wasn't there but Dave Arnold was.  

I think its great that we have people like you on the boards sharing your perspective.  You talking up the show is at least 50% of the reason why I went, though I don't think I stuck around for more than 30 minutes. 

Glad you did well!

Sorry you didn’t like the show. I thought I made it quite clear that it wasn’t a comic book show. Were there comics, sure and some pretty good ones. The best stuff always sells on the first day. I never know what will walk in the door. About 5 years ago the “Paul” collection walked in. One of the best OO GA/SA/BA collections ever found in this area. 

LOTS of cool comic book related other toys and items were there too. Got to have an open mind. 

I have nothing to do with who is there or not there. Pablo from the Boards was there and went home with comics including a nice pile of SA keys at a very good price. 

As I said, there were quite a few younger people there both days actually buying. And some day, if you are lucky, you will be over 65...

So I guess I owe you 10 bucks. :roflmao:   :foryou:

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Sorry you didn’t like the show. I thought I made it quite clear that it wasn’t a comic book show. Were there comics, sure and some pretty good ones. The best stuff always sells on the first day. I never know what will walk in the door. About 5 years ago the “Paul” collection walked in. One of the best OO GA/SA/BA collections ever found in this area. 

LOTS of cool comic book related other toys and items were there too. Got to have an open mind. 

I have nothing to do with who is there or not there. Pablo from the Boards was there and went home with comics including a nice pile of SA keys at a very good price. 

As I said, there were quite a few younger people there both days actually buying. And some day, if you are lucky, you will be over 65...

So I guess I owe you 10 bucks. :roflmao:   :foryou:

Oh I knew it wasn't a comic book show - I read what you had written and knew what I was walking into.  You price well but some of the other things I saw at other booths seemed way out of whack with what someone would pay.  And some booths felt more like an overpriced antique garage sale. 

But yes, I know Pablo and know he found some books.  I'm glad I went and saw it for myself and you certainly don't owe me 10 bucks.  And yes, I certainly hope I'm lucky enough to make it way past 65 as well.  

Yeah, there are a lot of people who paid through the nose back in the day and just can't accept that the market has dropped. Not only that but they still are hanging thinking they can make a profit! There are some people that come with the same stuff at the same high prices every show. And yes, some real junk in some booths. I doubt the lady next to me makes her booth rent. She keeps coming back. (shrug)

There are a few of us that mix it up and throw out fair prices. We usually do pretty well. And, there are always new dealers coming in and surprises to be found. 

16 hours ago, Robot Man said:

C24E063C-C685-4E8D-851E-451D17E5D528.jpeg

Great report as always, Robot Man. It's always fun to see what people bring to area shows like this.  :popcorn:

I totally get your points about people clinging to high prices and stagnant inventories - I too have seen the same stuff for years and wonder why people would want to move it back-and-forth so many times, and then pay what essentially amounts to rent each show to display it once more. Collectors are a strange sort, and dealers it seems are no different, since so many of them are still collectors, at least at heart.

Who would have ever thought they'd see Eternals #1 in a case at all, let alone next to a Popeye pop-up book and a My Greatest Adventure 1??

Btw, what did the guy do to get kicked out of your booth?  :baiting:

14 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Yeah, there are a lot of people who paid through the nose back in the day and just can't accept that the market has dropped. Not only that but they still are hanging thinking they can make a profit! There are some people that come with the same stuff at the same high prices every show. And yes, some real junk in some booths. I doubt the lady next to me makes her booth rent. She keeps coming back. (shrug)

There are a few of us that mix it up and throw out fair prices. We usually do pretty well. And, there are always new dealers coming in and surprises to be found. 

My brother goes to the York train shows every year and sends me photos of the old American Flyer engines to me because I want to buy a Santa Fe Diesel for around my tree. The prices are always too dear. I always think that these guys must walk into these shows just to hang out with their buddies because the prices never come down to something resembling something that would make sense to pay.

I tried to get my son into model railroading, models, and erector sets but the only thing that held his interest were the lego sets. The little screens are too much fun for the kids; our old hobbies will start to resemble a Model T in another fifty years; a curiosity without too much interest for many.

9 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Great report as always, Robot Man. It's always fun to see what people bring to area shows like this.  :popcorn:

I totally get your points about people clinging to high prices and stagnant inventories - I too have seen the same stuff for years and wonder why people would want to move it back-and-forth so many times, and then pay what essentially amounts to rent each show to display it once more. Collectors are a strange sort, and dealers it seems are no different, since so many of them are still collectors, at least at heart.

Who would have ever thought they'd see Eternals #1 in a case at all, let alone next to a Popeye pop-up book and a My Greatest Adventure 1??

Btw, what did the guy do to get kicked out of your booth?  :baiting:

He was lucky he didn't get kicked to Venus.

Guy walks up and starts "manhandling" of nice boxed tin toy. I nicely asked him if I could get it out for him. He replied "I can manage" (while tearing the box). He then asks in a rather rude tone "How much?". I replied back $100. He then says, "you're to F-ing high, I'll give $20.". I calmly walked around to the front of the table, took the toy and replaced it in the the torn box and quietly told him to get out of my booth and "hit the road bub". He loudly let into a barrage of explitives and walked off. People in my booth were shocked.

Here is another good one. A guy walks up and asks the price of some thing. I told him $65. He then asks about another piece which I told him $40. He asks "what is your best price if I bought both?". I told him my best was $85. This is a little of a pet peeve with me. I've already told him my price, if he doesn't like it, it is now up to him to counter. Kinda shooting myself in the foot the other way. He offers $75. I told him no, per his request I had already given him my "best price". Then I hear a voice saying, "I'll give you the $85". This set the first guy into a tizzy. They were going at it right in front of my booth so I told them to take it elsewhere. A big commotion and no sale... About an hour later the second guy came back. He apologized for the scene. He told me he thought the guy was a tool and treating me badly thus the offer. I explaned that I get it all the time and wasn't upset. He proceeded to go though my stuff and spend $225. at full price with no discount. Cool! Never saw the first guy again. 

Oh, the life of a junk dealer...

For every bad story, there are a hundred good ones. We all go to these shows to escape the harsh realities of life. Lots of smiles in this room. 

I was very happy to see a lot of younger faces there. I sold a lot to the 16-35 crowd. They were all polite, educated in what they wanted and happy to be there. I had a number of repeat buyers from last time. They got the best deals even when they didn’t ask. I do everything I can to cultivate these people to have a positive experience and stay collecting.

On 8/18/2018 at 11:16 AM, Sqeggs said:

Wish he would come back on.  I miss his posts. And, yes, he was @ciorac.

Thanks very much! I'm still around, just not on the Boards. But, my hand is still in comics as I have a little comic shop in Scottsdale, AZ. So if any of y'all are in this neck of the woods, stop on in