• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,076 posts in this topic

Went over to a friends place today and did some "horse trading" Among other things, I went away with a couple more of these.

I really like the Robin, Robot Man, Tomahawk, Capt Compass and Dr 13 run. Pretty much the whole issue is a great read. I have slowly picked up this run mostly as I ran into them mainly in reading grade. I don't really go out of my way for them because they turn up frequently usually very affordable. I think I'm complete from #90 on and have many of the earlier ones back to #67 (3rd Robin issue). Here are some of my favorites cover wise...

comstarspangled74.jpg

comstarspangled79.jpg

comstarspangled92.jpg

comstarspangled94.jpg

comstarspangled99.jpg

comstarspangled116.jpg

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Went over to a friends place today and did some "horse trading" Among other things, I went away with a couple more of these.

I really like the Robin, Robot Man, Tomahawk, Capt Compass and Dr 13 run. Pretty much the whole issue is a great read. I have slowly picked up this run mostly as I ran into them mainly in reading grade. I don't really go out of my way for them because they turn up frequently usually very affordable. I think I'm complete from #90 on and have many of the earlier ones back to #67 (3rd Robin issue). Here are some of my favorites cover wise...

comstarspangled74.jpg

comstarspangled79.jpg

comstarspangled92.jpg

comstarspangled94.jpg

comstarspangled99.jpg

comstarspangled116.jpg

Not a Tomahawk guy but these are sensational RM!

with all the usual 'Pre Robin' talk in the gold forum, it's nice to see some appreciation for Boy Wonder!

Robin is a national treasure ( :baiting: @telerites )

Edited by sagii

The Robin stories are actually quite good. Without Batman around, he is forced to take care of business in kind of a more adult way.

i don’t read many westerns as a rule but Tomahawk is an exception to this. VERY good and entertaining stories with great art by Fred Ray I believe. I am an American history buff and these Revolutionary war stories are great. Give a couple a try. 

Even the usual DC backup stories are good too. Unlike Detective and Action, these are good reads. I usually read the whole book which I can’t say about the other two titles I just mentioned.

10 hours ago, Robot Man said:

comstarspangled116.jpg

Count me in, as I too love these Tomahawk appearances in Star Spangled as well as his own lengthy run. I can't see anybody under thirty ever appreciating these (unless they turn him into a wiccan android with healing powers or something), so we'll probably be stuck with them in the old folks' home which is fine by me.  :cloud9:

p.s. I swung by a local stamp show today because I collect so much other old paper like billheads and the like. Sorry to report that I was the youngest person there by a good twenty years, save for one dealer who was selling off his father's collection.

10 hours ago, sagii said:

Not a Tomahawk guy but these are sensational RM!

with all the usual 'Pre Robin' talk in the gold forum, it's nice to see some appreciation for Boy Wonder!

Robin is a national treasure ( :baiting: @telerites )

Some treasures are better left buried.... :devil: :cry:

But I do love me some Tomahawk by Fred Ray :headbang:

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

One of these even has a Tomahawk story by Frazetta!  Can't remember which one offhand.

StarSpangled113.jpg

Star-Spangled-Com-113 Frazetta.jpg

Tomahawk is really underappreciated. Back in 1976 when everyone was publishing Bi-Centennial Comics DC issued Superman Salutes the Bi-Centennial in Tabloid format. It was all Tomahawk reprints and is the first place I encountered the character and his early adventures. ay I've since picked up a few of the early Star Spangled books over the years and they are fun reads and affordable. Ray Storch recommended them to me at an early Wonder Con.

By the way Bob; if you enjoy American History check out the Netflix series Turn and the book it was based on Washington's Spies. I just finished both this summer and found them really enjoyable. 

tn_StarSpangle117.jpg

tn_StarSpangle117FrontSpread.jpg

tn_StarSpangle109.jpg

Had a fun antique store find yesterday. Got this awsome 1955 Disneyland tin globe. Love the early Disneyland stuff. Reminds me of fun times with the family when it was a huge deal to go here. Although, I live less than an hour from there, I haven't been there in probably 30 years. My grandkids are just about the right age to tke so I might make a return visit soon.

disneyglobedland1.jpg

disneyglobedland2.jpg

disneyglobedland3.jpg

17 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

OK, you got it!

I wish I knew how to post a video to show what it does.

marxhauntedhouse1.jpg

marxhauntedhouse2.jpg

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!

I love this thing.

I'm pretty sure you had the video last time. 

Coolest Halloween toy ever!!

Any idea what the box looked like?

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

It goes well with this other one I already had.

Globes and maps always suck me in.

Bob, if you like maps and belong to AAA they are reproducing maps from their archives and giving out to members; one per month. September was Metro LA from 1930 and October is Yosemite Valley from 1916. Next up is the Coast Route in 1924. A fun series.

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Had a fun antique store find yesterday. Got this awsome 1955 Disneyland tin globe. Love the early Disneyland stuff. Reminds me of fun times with the family when it was a huge deal to go here. Although, I live less than an hour from there, I haven't been there in probably 30 years. My grandkids are just about the right age to tke so I might make a return visit soon.

disneyglobedland1.jpg

disneyglobedland2.jpg

disneyglobedland3.jpg

What a great find!  I'm on the east coast so we go to Disney World in Florida and we are big fans.  We own their time share (called the Disney Vacation Club) and used to go 2-3 times a year when the kids were younger.  My oldest, who is 23, has been over 20 times.  Now with the kids grown up we go every 2-3 years.  But still we love it.  In fact that's the origin of my name, in to Walt Disney World -- n2wdw.