• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,040 posts in this topic

On 6/3/2019 at 10:21 PM, Robot Man said:

Even the older guy said he sold a lot of Big Little Books!

Those were selling at the Windy City show here in Chicagoland back in April. Heck, I even bought some nice western Saalfields that you never see in nice shape. The guy I got those from had three large plastic bins full to start the day. I believe a certain fleet-of-foot dervish strongly resembling Carbo bought all of them as well as cleaning out a few other dealers of BLB's. He must have buyers for them. 

I like that you can get nice copies for $5 to $20 and they display so well. I'm not a completist by any means - I only need one Apple Mary, after all, and I don't care much for those covers where it's all text. :eyeroll:

Big Little Books might be making a little upsurge again for the right price. I have always liked them. Other than a few, never really sought them out specificaly but have bought quite a few over the years if in real nice shape and priced cheap. The All Picture ones are my favorite, Just like a little comic book you can hold in your hand. Problem is other than just few few, there are very few real superheroes in them. But a very wide selection of titles and the spines look so cool lined up on a book shelf.

fawcettblbs1.jpg

greenhornetblb2.jpg

blbspremium.jpg

bigbigbooks.JPG

blbdonald1.jpg

blbmaximosuperman.jpg

Was giving the mongrels a walk this morning and just by chance hit a local garage sale. Found a small stack of 10 cent cover price comics from around 1960. Unusual to find in my neighborhood. Usual suspects, Looney Tunes, Archie, Ritchie Rich, a couple of minor DC superhero ect. Paid $20. For about 25 or so comics. Most will be given away to kids. 

But these three are keepers!

How weird are these?

0DFE11A4-1CB7-4CD3-AFCE-9BD413593708.jpeg

5BAE3F35-FF03-4952-9816-79E10A9439AE.jpeg

CCFCC08A-4DA8-4274-80A6-8D5C36239FB4.jpeg

On 6/6/2019 at 12:29 PM, Robot Man said:

Big Little Books might be making a little upsurge again for the right price. I have always liked them. Other than a few, never really sought them out specificaly but have bought quite a few over the years if in real nice shape and priced cheap. The All Picture ones are my favorite, Just like a little comic book you can hold in your hand. Problem is other than just few few, there are very few real superheroes in them. But a very wide selection of titles and the spines look so cool lined up on a book shelf.

fawcettblbs1.jpg

blbspremium.jpg

The Dime Action books have always been in higher demand than most other big littles. and those premium books are great! All the ice cream premium books in grade seem to do well at Hake's or on the Bay.  :shy:

Edited by PopKulture

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 1:29 PM, Robot Man said:

fawcettblbs1.jpg

greenhornetblb2.jpg

blbspremium.jpg

bigbigbooks.JPG

blbdonald1.jpg

blbmaximosuperman.jpg

I am a fan too.  I think Maximo got me interested and Flash Gordon issues always seemed special to me.

5564781010_f23ea4d46e_b.jpg

3 hours ago, PopKulture said:

The Dime Action books have always been in higher demand than most other big littles. and those premium books are great! All the ice cream premium books in grade seem to do well at Hake's or on the Bay.  :shy:

I have a lot more of the premium ones. Just picked them up when I found them. Some are pretty scarce. I have the ice cream ones as well as Pan Am Gasoline ones. 

12 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Fun flea market find yesterday...

Complete with all the small different uncut cereal boxes inside. Build your own city!

kixtowncerealbox1.jpg

kixtowncerealbox2.jpg

kixtowncerealbox3.jpg

Bob, if you ever decide to offer a tour of your collections, I will purchase the first ticket.  I'm serious. 

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 12:11 AM, Robot Man said:

Looks like you got all the good titles! Still need The Laughing Dragon of OZ.

I purchased my copy of Laughing Dragon from Roger at Sandlin Toys.  I was present the day he purchased an upgrade and I jumped on the old copy.  I hesitated when offered his other copy of John Carter and still haven't picked one up.:jaws: