• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,074 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Set up at the Flea today. Great weather, lots of happy customers. Kids with their dads. Man, my feet hurt though!

319EFB4B-C90A-4088-A2EE-51FFD580ABF3.jpeg

A really cool assortment! Love that Capt. Marvel puzzle as well as the Felix game. I still need a Merry Milkman to go with my Fearless Fireman and Police Patrol.  :cloud9:

p.s.  I could never sell 99% of the items pictured! I guess I'm a little bit of a hoarder. Of course, many of these may be doubles, especially the Mad game.  And I would never sell the built-up Spidey model: the box displays WAY too well.  

Edited by PopKulture

Any of these could be yours Pop...:whistle:

I do have two of the Felix games and both versions of the Screwball MAD MAD MAD game. (this one is a dupe too). I went from having one incomplete Capt. Marvel puzzle a couple years ago to now having three. Would love to trade one for a Superman one I don't have. I only have one Milkman game though. This is it and it is for sale...

The real prize of that photo is the large 1930's Indian Motorcycle patch. Got some tire kickers, but ending up bringing it home.

44 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

The real prize of that photo is the large 1930's Indian Motorcycle patch. Got some tire kickers, but ending up bringing it home.

Oh, I know that the Indian patch was the top dog, but that's one thing I don't collect. I ride, but I don't collect. :whistle:

And the Putnam dye cabinet is tops as well. Those have been pricey since I was a teen and an oddball young admirer of general store advertising. Of course, they haven't gone up like the Avon one-shots, but I was born a little too late on stuff like reverse-painted whiskey signs and the like.  :pullhair:

51 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Any of these could be yours Pop...:whistle:

I'm a little like you probably in that I collect so many things that I don't have to have anything right away. However, that doesn't mean I don't pony up every now and then. I'll pay near retail if I want an item. Still, I hold out hopes of finding one locally. The cost of shipping stuff like that is prohibitive, though I did bite the bullet and buy a Howdy game off the Bay not too long ago because I got sick of waiting. Those Transogram games don't show up much anymore in our wilds - that, or the flashlight and headlamp crowd is beating me to them, but that's not what they're mostly hunting... 

Here's a good junk story.

When I bought my current house there was a pile of stuff that had been left outside for Goodwill to pick up. It looks like I missed out on some cool vintage toys as I rescued the remains of an Eldon road race set and some other vintage Marx pieces from what remained of what had been a larger pile. Damn!

Anyway, after we started to move in we continued to find things. My favorite find was in the old family room (since torn down) when I noticed an odd piece of rectangular carpet in front of some cabinets. I pulled it up and original 1950's linoleum tile was under the carpet and when I looked at the cabinets I realized the lower section pulled out onto the area where the rug had been removed. I tugged on it and lo and behold it was a bar that pulled into the room. I know this sounds cool and 007 like but it was anything but and very homemade looking. After I had pulled the bar out I opened the cabinets above and lo and behold there was a fully stocked liquor cabinet the prior owner had left. These bottles were quite old and some had tax stamps on them which I think date back to the sixties. One bottle of gin was from an old LA restaurant called Caves Des Roy that labeled its own bottles, still, have that one but don't drink it as I think it is a cool memento. I found the photo below on Facebook. Looks kind of fun.

image.png.a0f403de748616c3768dff4725b163c8.png

There were some other neat finds including 1930's Disney mini card sets. I'll take some photos tonight if I get a chance.

The best find though was tucked in the back of a closet where an unopened MIB Corgi of the Austin Countryman Surfer vehicle was found still with the original rubber band and enclosed description paper. It turns out that this is one of the rarest Corgis and included surfboards and a surfer!  This isn't mine but here's what I had found:

image.png.557c4a05298af7bafcec6122617505f5.png

Since I didn't collect these I decided to go on EBay and after some hit and miss transactions sold to a guy in Canada for about $200 who said he proudly displayed it on his mantle as the pride of his collection! 

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

Wow, great story! We should all be so lucky... That Corgi Mini Cooper Countryman Surfer vehicle is off the hook! I have never seen one. It wouldn't be leaving my junk house if I turned up one. Would bring BIG bucks I would imagine here in SO CA.

I have had a lot of Corgis, Dinkys and Matchbox vehicles over the years. Most I have parted with but I doe still have a fair amount of them. Many years ago, I went to a closing on a toy store in Pasadena, CA. They had lots of back stock they were blowing out rel cheap. I picked up a few Batman cars, A Green Hornet Black Beauty, A Monkees car and several others all boxed and old store stock. I think this is the last one I hung on to.

beatlesyellowsubcorgi1.jpg

beatlesyellowsubcorgi2.jpg

Stuff that just flies out of the booth. Old advertising with great color and graphics. Tins and especially signs. Universal monsters, pre-1970 Disneyland stuff, Slot Cars and Hot Wheels. Old sports memorabilia especially Baseball. Trophies, equipment, photos, toys ect. Being in CA, any vintage skateboards or surfing stuff. Classic vehicle toys. Especially motorcycles and house trailers. I am always surprised what people pick up and buy.

Comic book wise, a little of everything including western and Dells. The flipper kids drift in asking for “keys” and hoping for garage sale prices. But a lot of people just looking for readers from their youth. I don’t usually bring much if any in the way of big keys or nice GA unless someone I think might actually buy it asks me. I sell a lot of affordable comics, MADS and pulps. Me and my partner are usually the only ones to have any of this stuff out there. Most of my customers are mostly looking for the other stuff so that is primarily what I bring.

8 hours ago, Dreamtoreal1 said:

we connected today at the Tustin Flea Market finally! ;) 

Man, you must have needed a comic fix bad to go there. Even I don’t waste my time on that show. 

I hope me, Mikey and the other comic junkies left you something...:roflmao: