• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,107 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, BakerFanOne said:

Yes - I picked up the two Dollmans from the guy with all the Qualitys pictured below as well as a Saint from another dealer.  

Torpedo_Con_Picture_6_14_2019.jpg

Yes, I had that Dollman on the left in my hands for several minutes before passing on it and picking up a Rangers book instead. Jeff had some really good books at what I felt were good prices so he go a bunch of my money. I wall shopped a lot of other dealers and I agree with what's been said here, that the prices were very high. Did box dive in Nationwide comics boxes and found the Komik Pages one shot book. Not a common Chesler book and this was an upgrade for the one I traded away earlier this year so it was a solid grab at $50

Overall I thought the show was good. I was concerned about the change of venue to the Palladium but it worked out perfectly with the better lighting and more space as has been mentioned. I hadn't been there since I saw Tin Machine (David Bowie's band) play there back in the early 90's when I used to live in San Diego and could drive up, so it was good to see the place again.

I saw Pablo (Dreamtoreal1) there, but not many other boardies as I don't really know them that well outside the boards here, so I possibly ran across more and I just didn't know. Anyways, I thought it was a solid show and there were some bargains if you did some hunting; which is always the fun part for me. Look at the pretty wall books and then find the real deals in the boxes. Walked out of the Palladium when I was done, walked down the street and went to the restaurant Waffle, which was really good.

If they're doing the show again next year, I'll be back to check it out.

Here's what I ended up picking up out there:

D23D5A0F-442B-4B5C-9852-DBC3B86567BA.jpeg

22D71D0B-31A6-4E8A-B4B1-1DAA5085527C.jpeg

Edited by oceans11

3 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Thought you might like this Bob,a very early young Brian.I only learned of this group when reading the artist credits on an obscure no wave Marty Thau comp record.

Interesting Jimmers. Yeah, never heard that. I believe it was “A town without pity”. Love is like he was showing his influences at an early age. I believe he was around 20. Probably just before he went full rock-a-billy with the Stray Cats. Playing a Strat instead of his signature Scotty Moore Gretech guitar. 

And as sacentaur said, he is the definition of “cool” in my opinion. 

He and I have similar backgrounds. Raised in a house with blues, jazz and ‘50’s rock’n roll. We both love hot rods and vintage motorcycles. 

Unusual fact. He started out as a horn player. One day while listening to the Beatles “Honey Don’t” his dad came in and started singing along. Told him it was an old Carl Perkins song. He took up guitar and his signature look from Carl. Much like my mom told me I was listening to a Muddy Waters song while listening to the Stones. 

1 hour ago, oceans11 said:

Yes, I had that Dollman on the left in my hands for several minutes before passing on it and picking up a Rangers book instead. Jeff had some really good books at what I felt were good prices so he go a bunch of my money. I wall shopped a lot of other dealers and I agree with what's been said here, that the prices were very high. Did box dive in Nationwide comics boxes and found the Komik Pages one shot book. Not a common Chesler book and this was an upgrade for the one I traded away earlier this year so it was a solid grab at $50

Overall I thought the show was good. I was concerned about the change of venue to the Palladium but it worked out perfectly with the better lighting and more space as has been mentioned. I hadn't been there since I saw Tin Machine (David Bowie's band) play there back in the early 90's when I used to live in San Diego and could drive up, so it was good to see the place again.

I saw Pablo (Dreamtoreal1) there, but not many other boardies as I don't really know them that well outside the boards here, so I possibly ran across more and I just didn't know. Anyways, I thought it was a solid show and there were some bargains if you did some hunting; which is always the fun part for me. Look at the pretty wall books and then find the real deals in the boxes. Walked out of the Palladium when I was done, walked down the street and went to the restaurant Waffle, which was really good.

Nice picks and a great assortment! Looks like a lot of us got lucky in Jeff’s boxes. His prices were pretty high on some stuff but real low on others. On his later Dollmans (best part of the run in my opinion), seemed to be priced with $40 or $80 give or take even though they were in similar condition. Have them or not, I should have bought all he had in the $40 price range. I think those “have legs”. Plus they have Torchy! I got a Dollman 41, and an LB Cole Target in presentable or better shape for $30. each as well as a nice Planet 23 with a neatly taped spine cheap I thought as well. 

Nationwide (Ritter) wasn’t there sadly. Neither was Brian Peet’s who as of this year has given up SDCC as well. That Komi Pages looks like a Bedrock sticker who also had a lot of good deals in his boxes. 

Was a great show. Sad to think it’s now a year away...:sorry:I talked to both John and Steve and they both assured me they will be back next year. :banana:

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Nice picks and a great assortment! Looks like a lot of us got lucky in Jeff’s boxes. His prices were pretty high on some stuff but real low on others. On his later Dollmans (best part of the run in my opinion), seemed to be priced with $40 or $80 give or take even though they were in similar condition. Have them or not, I should have bought all he had in the $40 price range. I think those “have legs”. Plus they have Torchy! I got a Dollman 41, and an LB Cole Target in presentable or better shape for $30. each as well as a nice Planet 23 with a neatly taped spine cheap I thought as well. 

Nationwide (Ritter) wasn’t there sadly. Neither was Brian Peet’s who as of this year has given up SDCC as well. That Komi Pages looks like a Bedrock sticker who also had a lot of good deals in his boxes. 

Was a great show. Sad to think it’s now a year away...:sorry:I talked to both John and Steve and they both assured me they will be back next year. :banana:

I had talked to Brian Peet and his son and they had said they were going to do the show. Wonder what happened. I had heard he was giving up SDCC though, so that's expected. Would have liked to see him there as he usually has good stuff.

Missed Nationwide as I believe that's where we met at last years show, going through his boxes and finding some good stuff there.

Yeah.. now I have to wait a whole year until the next show so indeed :sorry:

You local guys might appreciate this... we all know that film flam rip-off man Angelo. I can’t figure how he stays in business but like a roach he keeps coming back. 

I have almost never bought anything from him. He is also very annoying. On my way out of Torpedo, I got caught by him. I usually avoid him like the plague.  While listening to him yap about what I had in my bag to sell him, I noticed a book on his wall that I really wanted. Asked him the price. It was crazy not real crazy like most of those sellers but way too high for me.  Was about to hand it back but I could tell he was having a bad day. I took out some cash (less than half) his asking price (now a real bargain) and waved it at him. He started to whine but I stuck to my guns. He couldn’t take his eyes off that cash. I walked away. I got down to the end of the next table and who should show up? 

Walked off with a real nice book I’ve wanted for years, cheap and I took a desperate Angelo the roach to the cleaners. Good times!

On 7/17/2019 at 6:49 PM, Robot Man said:

You local guys might appreciate this... we all know that film flam rip-off man Angelo. I can’t figure how he stays in business but like a roach he keeps coming back. 

I have almost never bought anything from him. He is also very annoying. On my way out of Torpedo, I got caught by him. I usually avoid him like the plague.  While listening to him yap about what I had in my bag to sell him, I noticed a book on his wall that I really wanted. Asked him the price. It was crazy not real crazy like most of those sellers but way too high for me.  Was about to hand it back but I could tell he was having a bad day. I took out some cash (less than half) his asking price (now a real bargain) and waved it at him. He started to whine but I stuck to my guns. He couldn’t take his eyes off that cash. I walked away. I got down to the end of the next table and who should show up? 

Walked off with a real nice book I’ve wanted for years, cheap and I took a desperate Angelo the roach to the cleaners. Good times!

Saw Angelo at SDCC wearing a LED nametag.  He did not have anything of interest.

Edited by BitterOldMan
left out a word

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Junking out of state with my wife. Always fun to hit new areas that I’ve never been. Had a good flea market day yesterday...

02C64A69-42AE-4451-B00B-64CC35A75C06.jpeg

94384BDA-F38A-4EB7-AFF3-513E2B536717.jpeg

Those Popeye toys are neat. What year are those from? Also, were they made by Western printing? They look pretty nice and seem like something they would make.

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 2:48 PM, oceans11 said:

Wow - those are some great pickups.   I definitely would have gone after that Rangers and some of your other sweet pick-ups!  I am looking forward to next year's show as well as Terry's January show.

5 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Those Popeye toys are neat. What year are those from? Also, were they made by Western printing? They look pretty nice and seem like something they would make.

They are from the mid 1930’s. From a boxed set. Milton Bradley I think. They just have that bright, colorful eye appeal that always grabs me...

Yesterday was Betty Boop's 89th birthday! Still looks good for her age. One of the few almost 90 year old characters that is still viable, collectible and popular. Check this classic Boop cartoon with Cab Calloway (a pretty cool character himself). Lots of eunedos in this. Great dancing including the first appearance of the "moon walk"!

Happy birthday Betty, we still love you!

Edited by Robot Man

36 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Yesterday was Betty Boop's 89th birthday! Still looks good for her age. One of the few almost 90 year old characters that is still viable, collectible and popular. Check this classic Boop cartoon with Cab Calloway (a pretty cool character himself). Lots of eunedos in this. Great dancing including the first appearance of the "moon walk"!

Happy birthday Betty, we still love you!

Thanks, Bob, for letting us see two superstars in action singing one of the great early classics!  Hi-D Hi-D Hi-D Ho!