• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,077 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

They came from a house in Colton,CA. (same area). One of the other dealers I buy from that are from that area had this one time. I about wet my pants as I slowly un-rolled it. They are not baseball fans...

piratesphoto1.jpg

piratesphoto2.jpg

piratesphoto3.jpg

Wow did the Pirates do spring training in Colton? Who knew!! I'm not a huge baseball fan so the names don't mean much to me but what a fantastic artifact with all those signatures. That part of California is relatively unknown but pretty interesting. Lots of early history from Southern California. It was pretty much the badlands when LA was young but when the orange groves took hold and they figured out how to ship things with some refigeration back east the area boomed. Today it is not so great.

My son and I were visiting the University of Redlands two years ago and on the way back we detoured into San Bernadino to look at the train station. I got lost and ended up in California's version of Detroit with huge swaths of unclaimed land in downtown. Pretty sad. On the way out we say a sign for the location of the original McDonalds and headed up there and ended up in some seriously bad neighborhoods before we got to the location. It's no longer owned by McDonalds but has a funny little museum there and they even had a Mystery Mobile (from Scooby Doo) out back; don't ask why I don't know! On the way home driving up to the freeway we came across a gang of Mongol bikers. Man that was some little side trip and I still never got to see the train station!!

The Pirates did do spring training there in the ‘30’s as did a few other eastern teams. As you said, very rural and pretty well to do back then. The Angels used to do theirs in Palm Springs. 

As I unrolled this photo, the second guy in was Honus Wagner (as a coach). One of the first 5 inductees to the Hall of Fame. As I kept un-rolling, I spotted 4 other HOF players. Mind blowing surprise find!

Sounds like you were in San Bernardino or Fontana. Both very rough areas and yes, home of the Mongols. The only time I’m out that way, is when I am passing through on to some where else...

37 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

comysteryinspace48.jpg

:applause:Nice subset RM!

These should get more love like Robot and Gorilla/Ape covers. 

With the second installment of 'IT' coming soon, probably long overdue for some Clown cover love too hm

23 hours ago, Robot Man said:

mad43.jpg

This is definitely the first example I thought of when you mentioned scarecrows. I walked into a local shop today to buy some treasury bags and bought the leap year issue for a fin (no. 53?). I think it's an upgrade to mine, but I won't know til I do some digging.  :wishluck:

34 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Probably my favorite MAD cover...

So, so tough to pick. I love 50, 58, 59... so many good Freas issues to choose from. Plus, I love some of the simple pun covers such as the "spring" issues (like Alfred thru the trampoline) and even simple gags like the "back to colege" issue.  I like the "turn on, tune in, drop dead" cover as well as 151.  (:

Not a comic but an amazing score from a retirement home spring cleaning sale about ten years ago. I picked up a pile of kids records and buried in the pile was this rare beauty. I think I plunked down a ten spot for the whole pile.

771405882_tn_Scarecrow1.JPG.65af696b6d2e70d2ec2434a3600245a7.JPG

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

Just got home from a little Saturday comic book meet up. Buy, sell, trade. Just local guys and a few gals too. Everything from Moderns on up. A fun time was had by all and pretty much everybody went home with some books and s little extra “folding money”.

Day started out with a bang!

F0AE3D74-27DB-404A-8595-05562F9B9E71.jpeg