• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,107 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Cool stuff!

Actually Beanie and Cecil stuff is surprisingly still pretty collectible.

Not surprising at all! Beany and Cecil are very cool. Here's a photo I took about eight years ago of my Beany and Cecil jack-in-the-box and Skill Ball Set:

BeanyandCecilSkillBall2.jpg

:cool:

14 hours ago, Hepcat said:

Not surprising at all! Beany and Cecil are very cool. Here's a photo I took about eight years ago of my Beany and Cecil jack-in-the-box and Skill Ball Set:

BeanyandCecilSkillBall2.jpg

:cool:

You gotta be just that right age to appreciate them. I wasn't real into them at the time. I remember Bugs Bunny, the Road Runner and Popeye mostly. Sat morning cartoons when my old man was sleeping in or hung over. I do recall with fondness Batman and the Munsters.

Thanks for the posts guys. Pearl Harbor was my parent’s 9-11. The ramifications were huge at the time and completely changed and united all Americans. 

My father in law was a Captain on a destroyer. He was supposed to anchor at Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th. He was ordered to stay out to sea. He came in the next day. He took pictures from his ship. Incredible photos. Many pretty graphic. He made it through the war safely but was profoundly changed by this. 

I would post some but had surgery yesterday and can’t lift anything for a month. 

If you want goosebumps, read this letter from my uncle to the family back home:

35376423.049ae6c8.1024.jpg

This eerily prophetic letter was written and sent by my Uncle 'Mugs' from Wheeler Field to the folks back home in Chicago. It is dated November 30, 1941, and carries the following passage: 

"I'm writing this at the time when we are waiting to see just what Japan is going to do in regards to our ultimatum in the Pacific. By the time this letter reaches you, she will have taken steps one way or the other and history will be made."
As an historical note, I believe Wheeler Army Airfield was the first actual site attacked in the overall assault known more generally as Pearl Harbor. The Japanese had targeted Wheeler to prevent the many aircrafts there from taking off and engaging them in combat.

1 hour ago, PopKulture said:

If you want goosebumps, read this letter from my uncle to the family back home:

35376423.049ae6c8.1024.jpg

This eerily prophetic letter was written and sent by my Uncle 'Mugs' from Wheeler Field to the folks back home in Chicago. It is dated November 30, 1941, and carries the following passage: 

"I'm writing this at the time when we are waiting to see just what Japan is going to do in regards to our ultimatum in the Pacific. By the time this letter reaches you, she will have taken steps one way or the other and history will be made."
As an historical note, I believe Wheeler Army Airfield was the first actual site attacked in the overall assault known more generally as Pearl Harbor. The Japanese had targeted Wheeler to prevent the many aircrafts there from taking off and engaging them in combat.

Thanks for posting this Don. Very historical and ominous. You are correct. Wheeler was one of the first targets. Hope Uncle Mugs made it home safely. I bet he had some stories. My father in law rarely talked about Pearl Harbor. But he did give me his photos since I was the only one who seemed interested. Different times. The US public seemed so united in those days.