• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,107 posts in this topic

Yeah, TAR 27 is not rare at all (I do have a copy and have seen many others), it’s probably just one of those perception things (but at $5 that’s a helluva deal!).

Someone was going around the room with a Turtles #1 in CGC 9.8 for $82k. :whatthe:

On 1/29/2020 at 3:43 PM, sacentaur said:

Yeah, TAR 27 is not rare at all (I do have a copy and have seen many others), it’s probably just one of those perception things (but at $5 that’s a helluva deal!).

Someone was going around the room with a Turtles #1 in CGC 9.8 for $82k. :whatthe:

For that price you could have 16,400 TAR 27s!! :banana:

On 1/29/2020 at 6:43 PM, sacentaur said:

You could get a nice sports car for that :insane:

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Always fun to find funny stuff inside your books if you take the time to read them.

I guess this could be me...:roflmao:

3B69C67C-513A-4130-A026-5BA3C1CE88B5.jpeg

Even as a kid when Nancy appeared in our local newspaper I never quite got it. This was in the early seventies and I think the concept of a miniature hoodlum named Sluggo was so far removed from our reality it just didn't register. And honestly, I never found it that funny, Other old time comic strips still hanging on were D**k Tracy, Blondie, Prince Valiant, Barney Google and Smokey Stover. My Grandmother subscribed to the New York Daily News and they still had a tabloid edition of the comics then so Tracy took up the whole front page and I believe Valiant was either a half page or full page strip. I actually collected them for about a year in 1973 but lost them over the years or tossed them away most likely. I really enjoyed Smokey Stover, a pretty unique strip. Tracy was also fun to read and my Dad told me about reading Valiant as a kid. I've been picking up early strip reprint comic books over the last ten years for next to nothing. Great material in them.

I didn’t read the Sunday funnies all that much as a kid. My dad did because they were mostly characters from his childhood. I was more into my superheroes none of which were in the paper. About the only thing we agreed upon were DC war books he bought “for me” even though he read them himself first. He bought “me” a good amount of westerns mostly because he also liked them too. 

When I got older and wiser I began to appreciate Foster and Raymond because of the art mostly. I remember going to the Alameda flea market and buying the first 5 years or so of Flash Gordon and Prince Valiant Sunday’s from a guy pretty cheap. I read and studied them for a while but ending up selling them off just because they were too large and fragile to store. The reprints make a lot more sense now.