• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,107 posts in this topic

If not for this seller, it would have been a bust. Had a great day hanging out with friends and discovering so many great pulps I have never seen before. As a comic collector, I think I’ve seen it all. As a pulp collector, every booth like this is a treasure trove of stuff I’ve never seen before. Spent all the cash I brought with this guy and could have even bought more but real happy with my buys. 

I mentioned John from Torpedo. He has been buying every pulp he can find as fast as he can. He was just walking around with a big box and his check book in his hand. Bug eyed and telling every one who would listen, he knows nothing about them but he’s buying! He really doesn’t know. He has a lot to learn but he will. He has figured out like I did long ago that pulps are super cool and SO cheap compared to comics. You just gotta find them. That is the challenge and what makes them so much fun. 

Great pictures Bob!  It was so great to finally meet you and sacentaur in the flesh at last.  It was a really interesting show to just walk around and meet people.  I got to see Michelle Nolan talking to Lupoff (apparently the CGC boards will not let me type his first name}, reminiscing about the old Phil Seuling cons in New York.  I think I saw Bruce Timm shopping around too.  I'm sure there were many other people who I didn't recognize.   Like you said, other than the pulps dealer, there really weren't too many other things to get excited about.  Tons of cheap paperbacks though - fun if you are into that.

Edited by Samoyed Sabaka
Censorship

2 hours ago, Samoyed Sabaka said:

Here's a book Bob pushed me over the edge to get.  It had some condition issues, but the cover is so cool.  But seriously, I couldn't pass up a story titled,"Satan Trades in Debutantes", could I?

20200308_190753.jpg

January 1940, Bookery identifies this as a classic cover... congrats! :cloud9:

Edited by sacentaur

22 hours ago, sacentaur said:

January 1940, Bookery identifies this as a classic cover... congrats! :cloud9:

I've mentioned on the boards how hard it is to decide which Marvel Mystery Comics are classic covers (to me, half the run qualifies), but with pulps it becomes an exercise of ridiculous proportions. The whole run of titles like Horror Stories, Terror Tales, Weird Tales, bedsheet Amazing Stories, Spider, Operator  5, etc. would merit a serious look. It's already a really tired term in comics, and how in the world is it not going to become overused to the point of futility in pulps? :nyah:

Edited by PopKulture

On 3/8/2020 at 6:25 PM, Robot Man said:

Oh, keep yer britches on. You would have LOVED this shoe Pop!

Ha! I waited for what I thought was a loooonnng pause before asking! I should've known better...

Looks like you west coast boardies did some major damage - congrats! I just hope you left some for us midwest guys with the Windy City show coming up (if it's not derailed by the hype-1 virus ??? ).

On 3/8/2020 at 6:43 PM, Robot Man said:

Another cheap Capt. Future for my run and one I’d been looking for for a while. Much to my surprise, no extra charge for the autograph!

4E6E2254-2B14-4034-BD29-0CBC06454089.jpeg

Probably my favorite BEM cover. Congratulations on picking one up!

Prices jumped on this issue years ago, but are still way affordable compared to comics with notable covers (I don't think I'm using the term "classic" anymore unless it's Superman 14 or More Fun 54). 

Oh, unless he’s got more back home we desimated his stock. But I’m green with envy for you guys. Windy City seems like the best pulp show in the country. I sure wish we had a show like that here. It would do real well as, apparently, there are a lot more serious pulp collectors than I thought. I barely noticed all the cool paperbacks there once I saw all those beautiful pulps.