• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,075 posts in this topic

The "3 Hole Punch" Collection...

Ran across these while going through the boxes. Made me remember the day.

Probably 25 years ago I went to the Quartside gem and mineral show in AZ with my dad. Father/Son bonding trip. I could care less about "rocks" but it was my dad's hobby. Took his RV and off we went. This show is a HUGE outdoor show like a swap meet. Unknown to me, there were lots of stuff other than just rocks. As I walked the rows with my dad I spotted a guy with a notebook opened on his table full of GA comics.

I made a beeline for his empty booth. He had probably 40 books in several binders. All were 3 hole punched but just stunning condition otherwise. He told me the price, my mouth dropped and out came my wallet. I had NO problem with this defect and home they went with me. Over the years, I sold and traded off a good number of them. I probably have 15 of them left in my collection scattered through the boxes. These are just a few I ran into the other day.

My biggest regret was all the old beautiful and cheap advertising signs I didn't buy...

comcrimesuspense15.jpg

comcrimesuspense12.jpg

comflash100a.jpg

comflash101.jpg

21 hours ago, Robot Man said:

The "3 Hole Punch" Collection...

Ran across these while going through the boxes. Made me remember the day.

Probably 25 years ago I went to the Quartside gem and mineral show in AZ with my dad. Father/Son bonding trip. I could care less about "rocks" but it was my dad's hobby. Took his RV and off we went. This show is a HUGE outdoor show like a swap meet. Unknown to me, there were lots of stuff other than just rocks. As I walked the rows with my dad I spotted a guy with a notebook opened on his table full of GA comics.

I made a beeline for his empty booth. He had probably 40 books in several binders. All were 3 hole punched but just stunning condition otherwise. He told me the price, my mouth dropped and out came my wallet. I had NO problem with this defect and home they went with me. Over the years, I sold and traded off a good number of them. I probably have 15 of them left in my collection scattered through the boxes. These are just a few I ran into the other day.

My biggest regret was all the old beautiful and cheap advertising signs I didn't buy...

comflash100a.jpg

comflash101.jpg

Those last issues in the original Flash run are just fantastic! What a score if you ended up with a run of those; 3 hole punch or not.

On a different note hope all is well down in the Long Beach area; I assume that the unlawful disturbances were confined to the downtown area and did not extend into any of the local neighborhoods?

I was driving down an old country road in rural WAY northern CA looking for roadside vendors selling some fresh fruit and veggies post isolating and shelter in place when I noticed a yard sale sign this that led me down an even smaller road.

Nice elderly couple  it seems had plenty of tine during lockdown to do some solid housecleaning. They weren't necessarily hoarders, but there was stuff from 2-3 generations that had accumulated. After some digging I found some kitchen stuff, cocktail type glasses, a couple of goofy toothpick type holders and then a few regular books and paper stuff.  I then found a box that really piqued my curiosity. Funny Books! I got a nice little selection of misc things and  as per expected when I asked if they had more they said yes,  but those were in really bad shape and had already been thrown away a couple of weeks ago, 😳

So beggars can't be choosers. 

At least that's what my parents told me😡Mmm...possum collards! I learned to love them.

anyway...

Tiny comics $1.00 each 🤔

I like tiny comics!

Older Comics $5.00 each😃

I lke older comics😃

Really low grade but it hey!  it was the best con I've had in a couple of months.

Some of the stuff and the best low grade funnies.

IMG_2559.JPG

IMG_2561.JPG

IMG_2562.JPG

IMG_2563.JPG

IMG_2565.JPG

IMG_2569.JPG

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

4 hours ago, Cobbledclam said:

I was driving down an old country road in rural WAY northern CA looking for roadside vendors selling some fresh fruit and veggies post isolating and shelter in place when I noticed a yard sale sign this that led me down an even smaller road.

Nice elderly couple  it seems had plenty of tine during lockdown to do some solid housecleaning. They weren't necessarily hoarders, but there was stuff from 2-3 generations that had accumulated. After some digging I found some kitchen stuff, cocktail type glasses, a couple of goofy toothpick type holders and then a few regular books and paper stuff.  I then found a box that really piqued my curiosity. Funny Books! I got a nice little selection of misc things and  as per expected when I asked if they had more they said yes,  but those were in really bad shape and had already been thrown away a couple of weeks ago, 😳

So beggars can't be choosers. 

At least that's what my parents told me😡Mmm...possum collards! I learned to love them.

anyway...

Tiny comics $1.00 each 🤔

I like tiny comics!

Older Comics $5.00 each😃

I lke older comics😃

Really low grade but it hey!  it was the best con I've had in a couple of months.

Some of the stuff and the best low grade funnies.

IMG_2559.JPG

IMG_2561.JPG

IMG_2562.JPG

IMG_2563.JPG

IMG_2565.JPG

IMG_2569.JPG

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Fun group of stuff. Good you could get out. I’m really missing hitting my junk haunts. 

24 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Robotman, ever seen one of these Billy Bounce pins?

The artist, WW Denslow, was the original artist for the Wizard of Oz.  I've seen his art as part of Sunday Strips, including Billy Bounce, but I had never seen this pin before.

FullSizeRender (2).jpeg

NIce! I love some of this early illustration work. I prefer the work of Jon R. Neill to Denslow on Oz but they were both talented illustrators. The B&W pen and ink work is certainly a lost art form with such great charm!

3 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

NIce! I love some of this early illustration work. I prefer the work of Jon R. Neill to Denslow on Oz but they were both talented illustrators. The B&W pen and ink work is certainly a lost art form with such great charm!

I love Neill's art too.  And certainly his art became what most people associate with OZ, but Denslow's Oz work.... :luhv:

It's too bad Baum & Denslow both had such huge egos and couldn't work together.

3 hours ago, gadzukes said:

A Buddy of mine sent me this photo of his Tracy collection.  I always think of you Robotman when he sends me these types of photos.  I'm sure you have most of this stuff, right?

FullSizeRender (1).jpeg

Wow, what a beautiful display of eye candy! As cool as this stuff looks individualy, it is even more fun looking at a spread like that. This guy lookls like a real fan of Tracy. Not a lot of fans much any more.

I believe I have the majority of that stuff, and like any collector, probably have stuff not pictured. I don't consider myself specificaly a Tracy collector, but love the character and have picked up a lot out "in the wild" when I ran across it. I also like the toys as well as the premiums. Comics have always been my mail focus but being a designer, color and graphics always suck me in. And when I couldn't find comics, this is the result...

Here is part of my Tracy stuff.

dicktracybadges.jpg

dicktracypinbacks.jpg

dicktracy kit.jpg

dicktracymostcomicsbutton.jpg

3 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Robotman, ever seen one of these Billy Bounce pins?

The artist, WW Denslow, was the original artist for the Wizard of Oz.  I've seen his art as part of Sunday Strips, including Billy Bounce, but I had never seen this pin before.

FullSizeRender (2).jpeg

I know of 4-5 Billy Bounce pins. I thought I had at least one but I guess not. Pretty weird, super early sadly, forgotton character. I have not seen this pin though.