• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,075 posts in this topic

On 6/5/2020 at 4:06 PM, Robot Man said:

I know of 4-5 Billy Bounce pins. I thought I had at least one but I guess not. Pretty weird, super early sadly, forgotton character. I have not seen this pin though.

I don’t think the guys that came up with Bouncing Boy for the Legion of Superheroes forgot him!

On 6/5/2020 at 11:07 AM, gadzukes said:

Robotman, ever seen one of these Billy Bounce pins?

The artist, WW Denslow, was the original artist for the Wizard of Oz.  I've seen his art as part of Sunday Strips, including Billy Bounce, but I had never seen this pin before.

FullSizeRender (2).jpeg

Nice pin and very rare!

Here are a few more Billy Bounce pins:

billybounce-washington.jpg     billybounce-sentinel.jpg     billybounce-philadelphia.jpg

Great platinum-age character...

11 hours ago, mlansdown said:

Nice pin and very rare!

Here are a few more Billy Bounce pins:

billybounce-washington.jpg     billybounce-sentinel.jpg     billybounce-philadelphia.jpg

Great platinum-age character...

Thanks Mark. I thought I had the one on the far right but for some reason couldn't locate it. I have seen at least 3 if not 4 versions of the two one the left. All pretty scarce and VERY early.

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Thanks Mark. I thought I had the one on the far right but for some reason couldn't locate it. I have seen at least 3 if not 4 versions of the two one the left. All pretty scarce and VERY early.

I think I have a duplicate - let me know if you ever want to trade.  I've also been looking for a nice copy of the Billy Bounce book for years, but the vast majority of copies are hammered to pieces.  Definitely a character that has fallen out of the mainstream of comic book collectors...

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

And, yeah, most of the keys were there too. Some I sold off because I had better copies (and had to replace that money), but here are some of the ones I still have...

comgreenlantern1a.jpg

comaction252.jpg

combrave&bold28.jpg

comflash114.jpg

comourarmyatwar83.jpg

comwonderwoman105.jpg

comadventure285.jpg

Killer DC books! Makes me wonder what the Marvel comics were..

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

The Ray Frederick Collection

Note: SA warning...If you don't like SA, move on please. Since it's my thread, I choose to post this anyway...

I recently posted a story of the Rex Parker collection over in General. This is another collection I had the good luck to turn up.

About 25 years ago, a good friend informed me about a collection a friend of his had unearthed in a storage locker. It consisted of hundreds of SA books from about 1957-1964. Mostly all Marvel and DC. Most were mid grade. Some a bit better and some a little lower. Long runs of most of the characters of the era.

Due to other material in the locker it was determined that the collection was probably bought off the newstand by a boy named Ray Frederick. He bought these books at a local newstand for roughly 8 years in the LA area. Most of the books had a small grease pencil arrival date so are pretty easy for me to spot in my collection. Some had no markings at all which he probably bought from another retailer. He took good care of his books and they were found in large cardboard boxes.

My friend only wanted the Marvels and didn't have the money for all of them so he offered me the DCs. I was blown away finding these books just mixed together in boxes. So we agreed to split the collection. I actually had to take money out of my savings account which made my wife a little upset. But, I agreed to sell off enough of them to replace the money pretty quickly which I did right away.

Although I was sorry to not get the Marvels, it was his deal and I felt lucky to get the DCs. These books more than replaced my childhood collection that my mom had dumped when I moved out of my parent's house. I got most of the DCs back as well as many, I had never owned. It now represents the backbone of my current SA DC collection.Although I had to sell a lot to pay back the bank account, I was able to keep most of the ones I wanted real bad. My favorite DCs growing up were the war books and the Batman titles as well as anything Bizarro. I also ended up with lots of the "horror/sci fi" titles that I had never gotton as a kid.

25 years later, I am still happy to have gotton this incredible collection of Ray's books. Although, I am primarily a GA collector, I was fortunate to grow up during the dawn of the SA and bought most of the keys off the rack. Had to pay a bit more for them the second time around, but smile everytime I see one of those grease pencil arrival dates on books in the boxes...

comblackhawk135.jpg

Great story, Robot Man! I think it's awesome that so many of his books now form a big chunk of your SA collection. Hopefully, some of them will stay together indefinitely, but I guess the winds of time favor the scatter of entropy. Every cover you posted is a winner with me!!

I don't have any OO collections this expansive residing in my collection, but I have a few smaller ones - perhaps this will inspire me to put them back together before my kids get ahold of them and sell them off like hot potatoes?

One handful that comes to mind are a few dozen late 40''s and 50's books from a collection that I priced out for a friend of mine's dad way back in junior high. I can picture a lot of Atlas books, most of them westerns with characters like Black Rider and a few Fawcetts. I saw a master list in my teenage scribble within the past year or two. No high dollar books, but stuff he let me pick off at something like half of Overstreet (single digit, for sure). Battle #1 was among the ones I got, and also Black Rider #8 with the Stan the Man photo cover. I wish I had bought them all, but even back then I understood that would look like a conflict of interests, so I explained which ones were better than others and why. 

Edited by PopKulture

Sam Peterson’s collection was rough. The keys went quickly, but the bulk of it hung around the LCS long enough for it to become something of a running gag. This is maybe the single nicest comic of his we saw.

3979ED50-5B9B-421B-BBB3-FEFD3DF9E625.thumb.jpeg.6cf97beceb8042d07c5159402e6b95db.jpeg

15 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Great story, Robot Man! I think it's awesome that so many of his books now form a big chunk of your SA collection. Hopefully, some of them will stay together indefinitely, but I guess the winds of time favor the scatter of entropy. Every cover you posted is a winner with me!!

I don't have any OO collections this expansive residing in my collection, but I have a few smaller ones - perhaps this will inspire me to put them back together before my kids get ahold of them and sell them off like hot potatoes?

One handful that comes to mind are a few dozen late 40''s and 50's books from a collection that I priced out for a friend of mine's dad way back in junior high. I can picture a lot of Atlas books, most of them westerns with characters like Black Rider and a few Fawcetts. I saw a master list in my teenage scribble within the past year or two. No high dollar books, but stuff he let me pick off at something like half of Overstreet (single digit, for sure). Battle #1 was among the ones I got, and also Black Rider #8 with the Stan the Man photo cover. I wish I had bought them all, but even back then I understood that would look like a conflict of interests, so I explained which ones were better than others and why. 

In the 50 years of hard core scrounging, I have been lucky a few times. This was one of the biggest and best collections I have stumbled upon. I related the story of the Rex Parker collection over in General recently. Another cool, large collection was the Highland Park collection. A very large collection of Atomic Age books that walked into, in small loads, to a friend's antique store. And there is the "Paul" collection that I have related before. I got to "cherry pick" the books as they came out of storage in boxes filled with other paper stuff. I keep hoping, like we all do, there is another great collection out there with our name on it.

I have these collections noted on the back of the backing boards and in my data base but can usually spot them mixed into the boxes just by sight. Won't mean much to the people who end up with them after I'm gone but I still get that "thrill" remembering the find.

It must have been exciting to get to dig into your friend's dad's collection. Nothing like a pile of books in front of you and turning them over one at a time. Not knowing what the book underneath will be. I bought a box of comics one time out of a garage that I had no idea exactly what was inside. I fanned the pile in the box quickly and paid the lady what she wanted. Sure had fun when I got home seperating the stinkers from the winners.

21 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Great subset; reminds me of the films they used to show in Driver's Ed! Not that that made a difference.

Yeah, I think I remember one called “Death on the Highway”. Pretty graphic. They were usually presented by police officers. They also showed anti drug films too. Lots of cat calls in the dark room by the gearheads and hippies. :roflmao:

Funny how when you are young, you think you will live forever...

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Yeah, I think I remember one called “Death on the Highway”. Pretty graphic. They were usually presented by police officers. They also showed anti drug films too. Lots of cat calls in the dark room by the gearheads and hippies. :roflmao:

Funny how when you are young, you think you will live forever...

Oh you made me remember something. When I was in like 5th or 6th grade they had the local detective come in with examples of joints and bongs to warn all of us of the dangers of drugs. That would have been in '71 or '72 I was clueless; I had no idea what he was talking about and could have cared less! Back then I only cared about comics and my model trains. I'm sure some of the kids with older siblings must have got it but I sure didn't!! In high school I used to take the bus to school. My freshman year I was still an innocent and we would pick up this group of kids at a development. One of the kids wore this denim jacket with a white collar and sat in front of me every day. I couldn't figure out why he smelled like Hay every morning!! Years later thinking back I was like, "DUH!"

Ha!

My dad was an LAPD photographer. One night he brought home a board with drugs attached and labeled to show my mom. Next day, the large marijuana leaf was gone. My brother swiped it and glassed it on the underside tip of his surfboard. The board quickly disappeared and my brother got a military haircut!