• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,040 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Don’t we all wish...

9486FE71-3B55-4B8E-A191-E9BA2EB439FC.jpeg

B8442E48-06D8-4535-AC55-4944EDADDC46.jpeg

6EC5BC42-AE0A-41DB-BDE8-6243B62654B4.jpeg

For some reason this reminds me of the scene in the silver age Flash where we discover that Barry Allen collects comics featuring the Golden Age Flash. Goes to show that old pop culture items have been collected by some folks for quite some time.

Hey Bob I always liked your themed comic cover posts and I thought of one that I bet doesn’t exist. We decided to head to the the Del Coronado hotel for a mid pandemic weekend escape. As I looked at the beautiful hotel and thought of other resort beauties like the Grand Hotel or the Broadmoor; I wondered if any of these inspiring facades had been featured on a comics cover? They have been in movies like Some like it Hot and Somewhere in Time with Christopher Reeve; but I don’t recall a comics cover! I’m sure I’m wrong though and the boards can prove it!

As an aside driving through San Diego we went by the deserted convention center and then had lunch in the Gaslamp District. They look like they are not doing too well. It was an eerie site thinking of what could have been.

On 7/12/2020 at 10:54 AM, Robot Man said:

This is from the Flash story in Comic Cavalcade #13. Got it yesterday and read it today. Being a toy collector as well as s comic collector, it made me smile. 

There is probably not a single one of us that haven’t dreamed of a Time Machine. :banana:

Mark Evanier and John Pound did in "Graphic Story Magazine" #16.

I know I have posted it earlier - but it was a long time ago and deserves another airing:

GSM16.1 (708 x 1089).jpg

GSM16.2 (757 x 1068).jpg

GSM16.3 (768 x 1089).jpg

GSM16.4 (699 x 1059).jpg

GSM16.5 (734 x 1081).jpg

GSM16.6 (701 x 1085).jpg

GSM16.7 (686 x 1076).jpg

GSM16.C (837 x 1085).jpg

13 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Hey Bob I always liked your themed comic cover posts and I thought of one that I bet doesn’t exist. We decided to head to the the Del Coronado hotel for a mid pandemic weekend escape. As I looked at the beautiful hotel and thought of other resort beauties like the Grand Hotel or the Broadmoor; I wondered if any of these inspiring facades had been featured on a comics cover? They have been in movies like Some like it Hot and Somewhere in Time with Christopher Reeve; but I don’t recall a comics cover! I’m sure I’m wrong though and the boards can prove it!

As an aside driving through San Diego we went by the deserted convention center and then had lunch in the Gaslamp District. They look like they are not doing too well. It was an eerie site thinking of what could have been.

Hey, you missed SDCC it was last week...:baiting:

I can’t think of any comic covers with any famous hotels on them. Maybe a few old crime covers with somebody getting shot up in front of a sleezy hotel. I do remember a few Archie’s with comic cons pictured on their covers though. 

7 hours ago, Duffman_Comics said:

Mark Evanier and John Pound did in "Graphic Story Magazine" #16.

I know I have posted it earlier - but it was a long time ago and deserves another airing:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761

GSM16.1 (708 x 1089).jpg

GSM16.2 (757 x 1068).jpg

GSM16.3 (768 x 1089).jpg

GSM16.4 (699 x 1059).jpg

GSM16.5 (734 x 1081).jpg

GSM16.6 (701 x 1085).jpg

GSM16.7 (686 x 1076).jpg

GSM16.C (837 x 1085).jpg

Thanks for that Duffman. Classic story that I haven’t read for years. Graphic Story Magazine. Makes me remember my good friend Richard Kyle who had a hand in it and supposedly coined the term “Graphic Novel”. I discovered Richard’s bookstore while in college. We became good friends. He taught me a lot about the GA age of comics. He knew a large number of the pros of the era. I even remember him having framed Kirby originals of the walls. Splash pages $100. And Covers $150. each. He knew how much I love ECs. One day a few weeks before Christmas I went into his store and he told me he had a gift for me. He slid out an envelope from under the counter and spread out the contents. A complete EC fan club kit with all the newsletters! He made me promise I wouldn’t sell it. Are you kidding me? Not on your life Richard! 

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Hey, you missed SDCC it was last week...:baiting:

I can’t think of any comic covers with any famous hotels on them. Maybe a few old crime covers with somebody getting shot up in front of a sleezy hotel. I do remember a few Archie’s with comic cons pictured on their covers though. 

San Diego sure missed it too!

095C6672-C70C-44BF-8A92-1CF698AC9E94.thumb.jpeg.689b09210d5420c671e603880d04e8e5.jpeg

Bob, I know you love the old Mad Magazines and I thought I would add this to your thread. Today's Sunday afternoon comics read was Mad 68 featuring a fantastic Don Martin Christmas cover. I really like this era of Mad as Don Martin, Dave Berg and Antonio Prohias were just getting started and have some great early work. Prohias had just emigrated from Cuba and landed a job at MAD. You can see why he emigrated when you look at the anti-communist cartoons that were reprinted in this issue from his native Cuba. I had a collection of every Mad from about 1960-1962 as a kid so these issues have a special place for me. This issue was bought out of a pile of comics and magazines at a Wonder Con for probably a buck! These old Mads don't hold up too well as the paper was pretty cheap and they tend to brown and the cover tends to split. But you couldn't ask for a greater compilation of artists in one place. This issue also has Wally Wood and Kelly Freas and I'm probably forgetting some other great talent.

Mad62.thumb.jpg.30b6f52ede45797db56009345eb89da2.jpgMad62Interior.thumb.jpg.94d3d9bdee1cfea43ff78251beb95e6c.jpg

That one brings back a lot of memories. The first one I ever bought on the newsstand was #72. It took me a while to consider getting any back issues especially collecting them all. 

I was at summer camp and I saw this issue nailed to a tree with one single nail. I carefully took it down and kept it. 

This was, in my opinion, the Golden Age of MAD. Love that issue and the only Don Martin cover I can think of. 

11 hours ago, Robot Man said:

That one brings back a lot of memories. The first one I ever bought on the newsstand was #72. It took me a while to consider getting any back issues especially collecting them all. 

I was at summer camp and I saw this issue nailed to a tree with one single nail. I carefully took it down and kept it. 

This was, in my opinion, the Golden Age of MAD. Love that issue and the only Don Martin cover I can think of. 

That is so great! A MAD nailed to a tree; perhaps punishment for some errant camper. The more I look at that Don Martin cover the more that it makes me laugh. This issue also featured Christmas Party with Comic Characters which is a hoot too.