• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,107 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

So, this is hot?  I guess those fires on the cover might make it hot, but other than that, is something going on with this book I don't know about?  I got my copy a long time ago...

Yes, aside from the fires on the cover, this book is now pretty sought after and bringing big bucks. (maybe the hot bondage babe has something to do with it?  hm  Like most of these other than #19 they have been kind of under the radar for years. As you can see and will see these are pretty much all great books. I sure wouldn't be bring attention to them unless I already had them all...:devil:

Hint, tomorrow is a doosey!

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Yes, aside from the fires on the cover, this book is now pretty sought after and bringing big bucks. (maybe the hot bondage babe has something to do with it?  hm  Like most of these other than #19 they have been kind of under the radar for years. As you can see and will see these are pretty much all great books. I sure wouldn't be bring attention to them unless I already had them all...:devil:

Hint, tomorrow is a doosey!

It was a much sought after book in the 90s, pre-Internet, and really hard to find...although probably not as expensive as now...hm

Today is another one of my favorites from this run

Dark Mysteries #13

Hard to beat for just sheer gore factor. On par with Vault of Horror #30. I wonder how many parents ripped this up as soon as they saw their kid reading it? One I rarely see for sale. I know where my dime would have went the day I saw it at the drugstore...

comdarkmysteries13.jpg

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but in a run like this, 19 doesn't stand out as much. Sure it's a great cover, but I think 18 is almost as good. I know women-on-wheels is a genre in itself, so that helps, but there's so much skeletal goodness in the run that any cover could be considered a classic, or at least a great example of the horror genre.

Superman 14 stands out so much because other covers have him dodging biscuits or sitting at a typewriter; Marvel Mystery covers blend together as they are all so epic (at least the war years).  Runs like these perhaps suffer in the same way? The bar is so high, just like several of the EC runs.  :blahblah:

On 11/18/2017 at 9:51 AM, Robot Man said:

Dark Mysteries #19

Well, here is the one everybody wants. I wish mine was a little better shape, but for what I paid for it, I think I can live with it...

comdarkmysteries19.jpg

Fun to see the whole run working on this title still here's my 19

dark mysteries19 001.jpg

On 11/17/2017 at 8:23 AM, Robot Man said:

Dark Mysteries #18

Another great "skeleton's revenge" cover. Kind of EC like.

comdarkmysteries18.jpg

Robot Man,

Really enjoying your posts. 

The EC story was "Tain't the meat, it's the humanity from Tales of the Crypt 32.

tumblr_m9pnxoN4ln1r35fak.jpg.429805bdc09dbbe6c55989bfa3a94658.jpg

Punchline

CreepMeat1B.jpg.d8f15816a77f46787918147ab69062c7.jpg

Dark Mysteries 10 cover reminds me of my favorite Spider pulp.

TheSpiderOctober1937.jpg.5a8b0d417176a82889b0eb131c21add1.jpg